Portland AAA Stadium Concept

TheAdmiral

Hello all, what I have is a stadium design that I have created in Google Sketchup! I've posted some other ones on here over the years, but I think I can say this is the most detailed stadium I have ever designed thus far. The stadium is set in Portland, but unfortunately, I couldn't quite figure out how to put real Portland buildings in the back (will keep trying). Here's some basic info on the Bing Stadium.

Name: Bing Stadium (Named after Portland Mavericks founder Bing Russell)

Capacity:

(I estimated the total seat numbers after completion, but the numbers should be pretty accurate)

Lower Seating: 8092

Upper Seating (Not including suites): 1040

Suite Seating: 320

Standing Room Only: ~500-1000

Total Fixed Seating: ~9452

Maximum Capacity ~10,000-11,000

Dimensions: 

LF - 330'

CF - 411'

RF - 315'

As far as the standard goes, this is pretty on par with some of the larger AAA markets, which I think Portland mixes in with pretty well. Enough with the chit-chat, here come the pics!

Z7r6DY2.jpg

Here's a general view of the stadium, like I touched on above, I'm a little disappointed I couldn't throw in some Portland landscape around it, as I think it would've made it look a lot better. There will be some other close-ups, but from here you can get a gist of the general design of the stadium. I tried to go for an industrial look. so the concourse is mostly brick with some large windows (Camden Yards heavily influenced this choice). The roof is a metal material, and you'll see some more industrial designs throughout the shots. 

lUBFZ6M.jpg

Becuase this stadium is in Portland (hypothetically), I tried to incorporate a lot of outdoorsy elements, which is the reason for a lot of the green spaces throughout the park (see parks 1 & 2). I didn't really do the research, but just off the top of my head, I don't believe any other stadium (major or minor league) has a rock wall (or anything similar) in their park, so I used that as a unique element that differentiates Bing Stadium and also fits the outdoors theme. I placed that on the side of the large building in center field, which is a multi-use facility (smaller team store, can rented out for events, etc.). The right field plaza is 25' above the playing surface, complete with a built-in bar so fans can stand/sit and watch the game from atop the right field wall.

jIREUzR.jpg

Here's a nice view from dead center, behind home plate reads "Welcome to Portland" (Sorry if that's a little hard to make out). From here you can see the full work of the support trusses for the overhang, which I think turned out nicely (not to toot my own horn!). 

a8R3Wo9.jpg

Here's a view from slightly behind the above photo. As touched on in the top view photo, you can see the rockwall (on left) and the kids field, along with the pine trees that form a (natural looking) batters eye. 

21lToqR.jpg

Here we have another outfield view, this time from the left field corner, right near the entrance to Gate 2 (see top view). Not much new to see here, except it does show how the warehouse building runs down the first baseline a little better than some other views. 

sOwbKzs.jpg

Here's the view from the left field bleacher seats, which hold exactly 120 people (3 sections of 3 rows x 20 seats/row). Pretty decent views from down the line, drew some inspiration for these from the fountain seats at Kauffman. 

ogxY5B7.jpg

Here's the last outfield view from down the right field line. I put a decent sized building in this plaza area which has 1 concession stand, mens/womens restrooms, and several ticket offices. Another nice view of the backstop from here, as well as the shorter side of the lower bowl. Another thing to note (view coming shortly) are the two standing room areas above the suites in the upper deck. I would envision these as a higher access area (could be rented out as well) with nice views of the city behind (sorry!) and the field. 

DlnKkO4.jpg

Here's a view from the first base deck that I just touched on above. You can also see the scoreboard (fairly simplistic), the berm, and the left field bleacher seating. 

hMD61rb.jpg

Here's a view from the third baseline (section 121 to be specific). You can see the right field plaza pretty well from here (25' high), with the "Keep Portland Weird" text above the 10' padding. 

O5R14FT.jpg

Here's one of the better all-encompassing views from right behind home plate. Pretty self-explanatory here, pretty good sightlines of the field, scoreboard, and outfield plaza. The other thing to take note of are the pine trees along the left field wall, create a nice field backdrop (in my opinion). A little backstory on these, I wanted to recreate something similar to the Kauffman Stadium fountains, but I felt like the water feature would be too similar in feel, and wouldn't fit the outdoor theme as well, so I went with a ton (maybe too many) of trees instead. 

fbNXXvk.jpg

To be blunt, this isn't a great view as far as seeing details go, but I wanted to show how the field would look from the batter's box, mostly just to show that I had created a decent batter's eye. 

wvVOups.jpg

Here's a view of the bullpen area. I drew heavy inspiration from Coors field on this one, and that inspiration kind of pushed the whole outfield aesthetic I went for. Small little detail to notice is the "PDX" text on the side of the building in RF, just another city pride element I tried to throw in there. 

I have plenty more renderings for y'all, but I don't want to bore you with a ton of images, so feel free to check out the following links to explore some more!

Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/Met92YJ

Sketchup Model: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/26672ab1-91c5-4f44-bfa9-b89073c4c6d7/Bing-Stadium

I spent a pretty decent amount of time and energy designing this for fun, so with that being said, I'd really love some C&C. I know I have come up with some of my own, so feel free to use the following as a jumping off point for any C&C:

•  Building Down the 1st Baseline - I am absolutely in love with this building. I think that if it's a pre-existing structure that was built around (hypothetically) then it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know if a building of that size is worth the money to construct just for the sake of design.   
  • Small Details - I concession stands, tables, etc. No excuses for that one, but since this just for fun, I neglected to throw those in there, which is on me.
  • Trees and Bushes - I have a gut feeling that there may be too many of them or that they are too tall

Overall, I am personally happy with how it turned out, but I'm anxious to hear the feedback, positive and negative (always looking to improve, so please leave some constructive C&C and ways I can improve!!). Thanks for the time to read through all of it!

Looking at your stadium, it doesn't look like it seats 9,000+ in lower and upper sections. The lower bowl looks almost exactly like LeLacheur Park in Lowell, Mass., and that seats 6,500 at most. Yours actually has fewer sections due to the berm down the left field line.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

11 hours ago, JJ Anderes said:

Love it! It's obvious that you put plenty of time and work into this.

I wouldn't change anything, but I'm curious to see what the outside of the stadium would look like, if that makes sense. Otherwise, fantastic job!

Appreciate the feedback! I may play around with some stuff outside the stadium and create a Ballpark Village/Power and Light live type deal around the stadium just to add to the realism.

11 hours ago, slapshot said:

Looking at your stadium, it doesn't look like it seats 9,000+ in lower and upper sections. The lower bowl looks almost exactly like LeLacheur Park in Lowell, Mass., and that seats 6,500 at most. Yours actually has fewer sections due to the berm down the left field line.

Appreciate the feedback and the concern, but here's the math I did. The stadium definitely has 9000+ seats, and the research I did indicated I made the seats close to the right dimensions, but there's definitely a chance I could have made them too small, thus having more seats in total than there really should be if they were the correct size.

GJQgyzG.jpg

11 hours ago, Placebo said:

So very cool, and the bullpen area is awesome.

Much appreciated!

22 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Wait... That’s not The Admiral!

Nope! Just a Spurs fan! #GSG

If you were to take this further it would be nice to see the configuration of concessions/souvenir stands in the plaza areas.

Also as a suggestion, maybe incorporate the White Stag sign as a home run feature akin to the CBP Liberty Bell or the Target Field shaking hands.

uEIZjiy.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

If I read it right the seats seem to small yea. Absolute minimum, and we're talking olde time ebbets field era would be like 1'5". There's a Yankee stadium centric graphic online that gives the old and modern ranges. Obviously newer seats are wider.

But hey nice seats. Seem familiar!

For an actual critique. I'd say cause I'm a stadium nerd, grandstand looks too similar to Haymarket stadium in Nebraska...... And well....not wierd enough. It's a lifestyle not a slogan YeaaaaaaHhh

Presentation is tip top. Great work. Need more. Gimme more. Give us all more.

5 hours ago, LMU said:

If you were to take this further it would be nice to see the configuration of concessions/souvenir stands in the plaza areas.

Also as a suggestion, maybe incorporate the White Stag sign as a home run feature akin to the CBP Liberty Bell or the Target Field shaking hands.

uEIZjiy.jpg

Definitely would've been something to add in the ballpark village deal I talked about incorporating! I may have to give that a try!

1 hour ago, Commodore Crablegs said:

If I read it right the seats seem to small yea. Absolute minimum, and we're talking olde time ebbets field era would be like 1'5". There's a Yankee stadium centric graphic online that gives the old and modern ranges. Obviously newer seats are wider.

But hey nice seats. Seem familiar!

For an actual critique. I'd say cause I'm a stadium nerd, grandstand looks too similar to Haymarket stadium in Nebraska...... And well....not wierd enough. It's a lifestyle not a slogan YeaaaaaaHhh

Presentation is tip top. Great work. Need more. Gimme more. Give us all more.

Appreciate the feedback, especially on the seats (something to fix next time). All things considered, I'm glad you noticed the Haymarket Park influence (going to be a baseball student manager there this year), but maybe I used it a bit too much. Once again, appreciate the feedback, definitely gives some room for improvement next time. 

Great job would you allow me to post a football version here? Also for feedback try to incorporate different sports setups like what Louisville's baseball stadium does. But over all it was a really interesting layout.

http://i.imgur.com/4gh4ZhB.png http://i.imgur.com/DmN6VqA.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103365-star-based-championship-signatures-by-request/

Archived