2018 High School Football

4_tattoos

Quite a few nationally televised games airing on ESPN's channels today.

• Pinson Valley (AL) vs Hoover (AL) 12 noon on ESPN
  • Cedar Grove (GA) vs Hewitt-Trussville (AL) 3:30 pm on ESPN
  • Tucker (GA) vs Grayson (GA) 6pm on ESPNU
  • DeMatha (MD) vs St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 7pm pm ESPN2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This past weekend, the Wolvarena in Turtle Ceek, PA (home of Woodland Hills), hosted six games over two days.

Ke6qwSKsy_bO__MtMM12Z0JmS9My2hWh6of0T2y2

First game Saturday was Imani Christian, a small Pittsburgh area school hosting a charter school from Washington, DC. Hence the crowd. Imani led 44-0 after one, and 58-0 at the half. Second half was two 6-minute shortened quarters with the running clock. The final score was still, 80-6.

On 8/13/2018 at 12:38 AM, Sykotyk said:

This is a common problem is the rural areas of Pennsylvania where co-ops are allowed.

Just recently, Youngsville shuttered their team to co-op with neighboring, and much larger, Warren. Sheffield, in the same school district as Youngsville and Warren, was talked about having a co-op with Warren as well, but luckily that didn't happen this season as enough players came out. Also, Sheffield already had a co-op with Abraxas, which usually gives them about 10 players a year as well.

Also, in District 9, recently Union and Allegheny-Clarion Valley co-oped to form Union/ACV. And the one that probably started it all, was Ridgway and Johnsonburg, two arch rivals just a few miles apart, co-oped together several years ago. Sticking with D9, Clarion and Clarion-Limestone have discussed a co-op for football. But the big stalemate is team identity. Clarion plays at Clarion University's Memorial Stadium, while in a co-op, CL would want to play at their home high school stadium. Nothing came through this year but given population trends its bound to happen eventually to keep football unless 8-man becomes an option.

In states without co-ops, Ohio just saw Millersport, a small D7 school sit out the 2018 season due to lack of numbers.

Syk, you seem to live in the area still - when I was up there stomping around a few weeks ago I read something saying that my H.S. alma mater (Indiana High) (finally) was talking about dropping "Indians" as a team nickname.  You seem to have your ear to the ground up there.  Have you heard anything about that?

nav-logo.png

On 8/25/2018 at 10:47 AM, 4_tattoos said:

Quite a few nationally televised games airing on ESPN's channels today.

• Pinson Valley (AL) vs Hoover (AL) 12 noon on ESPN
  • Cedar Grove (GA) vs Hewitt-Trussville (AL) 3:30 pm on ESPN
  • Tucker (GA) vs Grayson (GA) 6pm on ESPNU
  • DeMatha (MD) vs St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 7pm pm ESPN2

I was surprised to see both games played at Hoover who uses a grass field. I know it's a minor league baseball park as well, but it held up pretty well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Quick survey. At the high schools you guys are familiar with, does the home team's JV/Freshman team players have to pay to attend a varsity game?

At my school JV players got in free and the AD usually manned the ticket gate so he knew who the JV players were. It was brought to my attention though that some schools actually charge the JV and Fresh players. Has anybody else heard of that happening anywhere? That's alien to me.

On 8/27/2018 at 12:34 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I was surprised to see both games played at Hoover who uses a grass field. I know it's a minor league baseball park as well, but it held up pretty well. 

Former minor league baseball park....the Barons moved downtown a year or so ago.  The SEC Baseball Tournament is still hosted there annually.

15 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Quick survey. At the high schools you guys are familiar with, does the home team's JV/Freshman team players have to pay to attend a varsity game?

At my school JV players got in free and the AD usually manned the ticket gate so he knew who the JV players were. It was brought to my attention though that some schools actually charge the JV and Fresh players. Has anybody else heard of that happening anywhere? That's alien to me.

Students usually got reduced tickets during the week at school rather than free entrance to the games. Reserve players usually just stood on the sidelines instead of the bleachers and didn't have to pay that way. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

In my area they get in for free if they wear their jersey and other students get in free with a sticker placed on their School ID  that’s $50 but gets you into every sports game for every season and every sport including Middle School sports. 

Letsgoblue.png

holland_hs_sig.pngHollandMichiganPNG_zps9365937b.png

Wow. The school district I came from gives students no discount whatsoever. $5 general admission, $2 for kids under 10 & JV players get in for free. Then the MPSSAA increases the price for playoff games.

When I was in school, all the students had a chance to buy an activity card. This card would give you free access to any event at home. I don't know if they still do it, but I enjoyed it.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:15 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Only went to one varsity game when I was playing JV, though I think we'd all gotten passes of some sort that gave us free admission.  For the most part, there was free volleyball...as in walk in from the locker room, plant self on bleachers.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 8/27/2018 at 1:22 AM, Mac the Knife said:

Syk, you seem to live in the area still - when I was up there stomping around a few weeks ago I read something saying that my H.S. alma mater (Indiana High) (finally) was talking about dropping "Indians" as a team nickname.  You seem to have your ear to the ground up there.  Have you heard anything about that?

I'm a bit west of there. So haven't heard anything specific. But it wouldn't surprise me.

As for the JV, in my area, the JV still dressed on Friday night. Simply because the JV game was usually Saturday morning, and if needed, the players were available. The JV game could always be cancelled if there weren't enough eligible players for it.

Most of Ohio you'll see some type of discount for students. in PA, my HS is still $5 for reserved seating, $4 for general admission, and $2 for students and seniors. Been that price since the 90s.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:48 PM, Seadragon76 said:

When I was in school, all the students had a chance to buy an activity card. This card would give you free access to any event at home. I don't know if they still do it, but I enjoyed it.

At my school we had something somewhat similar. I can't remember the exact details, but kids with a certain GPA were given a gold card which got them in for cheap or free (I was eligible for like a semester) and a lower tier silver card that was cheaper than regular admission, but still more than whatever gold was.  Everybody else had to pay the $5 or whatever it was for entry.

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

I'm a bit west of there. So haven't heard anything specific. But it wouldn't surprise me.

I had a feeling based on some of your Twitter posts, but thanks.  My H.S. class ring, which lies in a drawer with a bunch of other jewelry I never wear any more, has a (not at all well designed) Indian head on one shank.  Provided my alma mater doesn't pull a Crimson Hawks, I'd be very pleased to see them rebrand; even when I went there, I thought "Indiana Indians" and "IUP Indians" were simply too lazy as nicknames/brands.  Crimson Hawks was a poor choice and done somewhat in haste; but the high school has had a decade or more to do it since.  I just hope they do it right.

nav-logo.png

10 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Friday at 10pm EST, Graham-Kapowsin (Washington) vs Sheldon (Oregon) on ESPNU

Those schools are familiar to me. I believe that Graham-Kapowsin has the state's best player and he has already committed to Washington.

It's also the first weekend for football in Washington and Oregon, so here's a few games to look at in my neck of the woods...

Mark Morris at Kelso: The Monarchs have fallen off the map after a 10 win season in 2013 in winning just five games in a four year span. The Hilanders, on the other hand, are coming off a playoff berth and are expected to compete in the Greater St. Helens League once again. Also, it's the debut of the new turf field at Kelso.

Kalama at Woodland: Two of the area's best quarterbacks face off in the '8 Mile War'. The Chinooks are the defending 2B champions while the Beavers made the postseason last year.

Archived