2018 High School Football

4_tattoos

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few things on my neck of the woods...

-It's going to a long year in Longview if the performances of Mark Morris (31-14 losers to Kelso) and R.A. Long (40-14 losers to Vancouver College, BC) are any indication. I also wonder if the teacher strike played a small role... if any.

-Whakiakum had a double header event on Saturday where they hosted Colfax in the afternoon game while Napavine and Liberty (Spangle) met in the early game. This was planned after the Mules dropped Naselle in favor of a two year series with Colfax and their coach heard about the Napavine-Liberty game and thought that it would be awesome to have a double header involving these schools. Next year, it's at Spangle.

-Woodland and Kalama had a shootout. A 48-40 victory for the Beavers, but the Chinooks made it tough for them.

Also... In Iowa, there was a game that set records as Council Bluffs Thomas Jefferson defeated Sioux City North 99-81.... yes, that is the final score. No, it's not a typo. That actually happened. The bad news is my alma mater (Denison-Schleswig) has to face CBTJ this week.

If you were to tell me that my guys would be held to 148 yards of offense and still win 30-6 tonight, I'd never believe you. But though we wear navy and gray, we looked maroon and orange out there, as our special teams were just that - special!

LvZYtbZ.png

My Alma mater has fallen to 1-3, largely because the offense didn't show up.  Granted, I can't remember the last time we even came close to beating Oak Creek, and Franklin's much better than they were when I was playing...funny thing was Franklin's coach was complimenting our defense.  They beat us 28-6 or something like that.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Several schools in Virginia are moving game times and dates around for this week in preparation for the storms, including a few strange start times. 

Our school has moved from Friday night to Thursday night at 7:00p. However, one school in the area has moved their homecoming game from Friday at 7:00p to Thursday at 5:30p. They also cancelled the pre-game homecoming parade, and moved the homecoming 'dance/tailgate' to before the game.

Homecoming games in September? Jeez. I'm used to HC being in mid to late October.

Anyways, I believe Maryland has adjusted it's schedule due to the hurricane too. My alma mater was supposed to play at road game Saturday at 2pm. There game was moved to 1pm on Thursday at a neutral site.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Homecoming games in September? Jeez. I'm used to HC being in mid to late October.

I have seen our archrival schedule homecoming on opening day because they were playing us.

Mind you, it wasn't a talent thing - they always scheduled homecoming against us if they were hosting us.

LvZYtbZ.png

So now it looks like Maryland schools are going back to the original schedule for this week since the state isn't expected to take a major hit from the hurricane. My alma mater's team twitter page posted that their game was back to it's original date and time.

Tonight's nationally televised games.

• North Gwinnett vs Walton at 7pm eastern on ESPN2. Both schools are from Georgia.
  • Bishop Gorman (NV) vs De La Salle (CA) 10pm eastern on ESPNU.

On my end...

-For the the first time in five years, Mark Morris is 2-1 after a 47-0 drubbing of Fort Vancouver. After a opening day disaster with Kelso, the Monarchs have won two in row by a combined score of 95-14. At least they're in better shape then R.A. Long... poor, poor Lumberjacks. Then again, they did face the defending 2A state champs in Hockinson, who has taken down two big time 2A powers in Tumwater and the dreaded Archbishop Murphy.

-Kelso is unbeaten after taking down Heritage at home. Not bad for the Hilanders.

-Kalama got edged by Adna, but that's no shocker.

-Meanwhile in Iowa, Denison enters district play with a sharp 3-1 record and a pretty nice RPI ranking of 15th. I forgot to mention that Iowa has introduced a brand RPI system for the at-large berths to the playoffs. The district winners automatically qualify and that's it. The other seven slots are decided by RPI.

-Audubon is another school from my neck of the woods. They scored 104 points last week... that's not a typo. They won 104-50 over Woodbine.

8 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

High schools are playing Arena ball now?

We had a 69-67 game in NJ this week.

Meanwhile, my alma mater is 1-2 after a 30-8 loss to archrival St. Joseph. That said, the association football team is 4-0 and get to play tonight at Talen Energy Stadium, so there's that! Plus, I get to announce the game!

LvZYtbZ.png

PA had a 64-63 game between Hazleton and Williamsport.

Indiana had a 70-52 game between Blackford and Alexandria-Monroe.

Interesting that Ball State hosts "CIC Day" where the Central Indiana Conference plays all four conference games at Scheumann Stadium in Muncie. They also hosted the Tri-Eastern Conference (TEC Day) in Week 1 as well. You don't see that anywhere in Ohio or PA. Nice way to get the kids the experience of playing in a major college venue.

Archived