Original Nordiques jersey design

BelfourThibault

So I'm sure this has been posted here before (how could it not have been), but a search for Nordiques brings tons of results. If this has been posted, obviously Mod delete, and my bad, but just in case...

The whole video is 70's awesome, but to get some insight as to how the original Nordiques uniforms were designed, skip to 13:04. You can tell that the designer wasn't exactly happy with how they changed his vision. 

And the aborted 1995-1996 redesign, looks like the colors were inspired by the original uni design

vOYcM.png

^ I hate this. But in the mid 90's it would've been very well received and then they would've ultimately introduced a retro 3rd in the early 2000's and then gone back to a modernized vintage look full time after the 2004 lockout I bet

1.  That guy sounds like a <MOD EDIT>.  His client specifically asked for red, but he just didn't like it, so he drew blue and throwing a pity party because they actually wanted what they wanted?  Bro, you're hired to do a job.  Do it.

2.  Those original uniforms have too much red.  The shoulders are just too much.  What they eventually went with was great, though I prefer the lighter shade of blue to what they eventually morphed into.  The red was only on the logo.  To me, they were always a blue and white team - just like that sad designer wanted.  The red in the logo doesn't change that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

And the aborted 1995-1996 redesign, looks like the colors were inspired by the original uni design

vOYcM.png

^ I hate this. But in the mid 90's it would've been very well received and then they would've ultimately introduced a retro 3rd in the early 2000's and then gone back to a modernized vintage look full time after the 2004 lockout I bet

It would have lasted until the 2006/07 season before getting butchered by the Reebok Edge system.  Picture the above jersey with chest piping, side panels and no hem stripes.  Then you would have seen a return to the vintage look, maybe with a vintage-white laced, roundel alternate thrown in for good measure.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  That guy sounds like a <MOD EDIT>.  His client specifically asked for red, but he just didn't like it, so he drew blue and throwing a pity party because they actually wanted what they wanted?  Bro, you're hired to do a job.  Do it.

2.  Those original uniforms have too much red.  The shoulders are just too much.  What they eventually went with was great, though I prefer the lighter shade of blue to what they eventually morphed into.  The red was only on the logo.  To me, they were always a blue and white team - just like that sad designer wanted.  The red in the logo doesn't change that.

Agreed on the original shoulders and sleeve stripe. I preferred the lighter blue as well, but even the dark blue looked good IMO. 

Double blue is one of the most overused color combinations in sports, but it's one that would have actually made sense for the Nordiques: provincial flag blue and civic flag blue

image.jpg220px-Drapeau_de_la_ville_de_Qu%C3%A9bec

I never minded the red on the igloo and I can go either way on the red number outlines, but ideally the Nords would have transitioned into something that wove more local details in than just the fleur-de-lis.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 minutes ago, aztex82 said:

Such a great movie. I started a thread about the original Nordiques uniforms a couple years ago, but I love when people see this movie for the first time.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/110139-nordiques-concepts-in-just-another-job/

Ahh, sorry! I figured that someone would have posted it at some point in the past. 

I can understand where both sides were coming from - team management wanting something familiar to win over fans of the Canadiens and the designer wanting to do something different to show that this was a new generation of fans. 

Not too different from the Mets pulling in colors from the Dodgers and Giants to make those fans feel at home (also helped that blue & orange are the state of NY colors). 

Archived