Canucks Bringing Back the Flying Skate Uniforms in 2020

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I just want to see the Canucks’ old yellows playing the Sharks in green or light teal Seals-style throwbacks.

If the Sharks had joined the NHL at some point during the 80s with the same original look, their teal vs the Canucks' home yellow Skate uniforms(maybe a slightly lighter yellow) would have been a beautiful uniform match-up. For sure, the Sharks' teal vs the Kings' yellow/w white and purple would be a game I'd watch in a heartbeat.

I mean, it's fine.  I seriously hope this doesn't become the basis for a re-design in the near future.  Bad enough the Flames and Sens have these mostly-garbage black/red designs, much less the Canucks to make up the trinity of drab garbage.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I wish they would have gone with the white option instead. Maybe it's because I'm a British Columbian and the whites were the home uniforms at the time, but something about seeing those brings me right back to my childhood, more so than the black jerseys.

26 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I mean, it's fine.  I seriously hope this doesn't become the basis for a re-design in the near future.  Bad enough the Flames and Sens have these mostly-garbage black/red designs, much less the Canucks to make up the trinity of drab garbage.

Don't worry, the blue and green isn't going anywhere. However, the '94 black Skate should be used annually for 2-3 games per season.

As for the comparison with the Flames and Senators, back from '92-'94, the three uniforms did have their own look:
Canucks dark Skate: black w/yellow & red. Minimal white.

Flames pre-black darks: red w/white & deep yellow/Athletic gold.

Senators darks: black w/white & red. Metallic gold in 2D Centurion's helmet and logo border.

11 hours ago, tigers said:

I like it.

So many more that are worse.

And most of those were also worn by the Canucks.

Look, Canucks. You're the Canucks. You have no worthwhile history to speak of. Your franchise's biggest accomplishment involves being directly responsible for foisting a national prominence of Mark Messier on an unwitting public - and doing it two different ways. Your graphic identity has been an underwhelming and inconsistent mess for half a century. Your current logo is a decaying remnant of product placement by an ownership group that's been gone for a decade. It has to be supplemented by "VANCOUVER" arching over it in one of North American sport's most overused fonts, lest people a bit out of the loop flip past a game and wonder why the Hartford Whalers switched to such an ugly crest. If you're going to continue to be ugly and irrelevant - and I fail to see any indications that you won't - at least be weird and ugly, instead of the blandly, borderline-acceptable ugliness of 1994. Break out the yellow helmets and the San Francisco psychologist-approved uniforms. It's really all you've got.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

6 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Could this have been Adidas telling the Canucks that there is no way to incorporate the Flying V into our template, make sure the flying skate wins?

I have never believed that excuse once, regardless of whether it was Adidas or Reebok spewing it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

16 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

And most of those were also worn by the Canucks.

Look, Canucks. You're the Canucks. You have no worthwhile history to speak of. Your franchise's biggest accomplishment involves being directly responsible for foisting a national prominence of Mark Messier on an unwitting public - and doing it two different ways. Your graphic identity has been an underwhelming and inconsistent mess for half a century. Your current logo is a decaying remnant of product placement by an ownership group that's been gone for a decade. It has to be supplemented by "VANCOUVER" arching over it in one of North American sport's most overused fonts, lest people a bit out of the loop flip past a game and wonder why the Hartford Whalers switched to such an ugly crest. If you're going to continue to be ugly and irrelevant - and I fail to see any indications that you won't - at least be weird and ugly, instead of the blandly, borderline-acceptable ugliness of 1994. Break out the yellow helmets and the San Francisco psychologist-approved uniforms. It's really all you've got.

All this. Seconded, seconded, seconded.

Not to mention... THEY JUST DID THIS IN 2016

Canucks-retro-jerseys.jpg

We already know what this looks like on a current template.

Trust me, I love the flying skate look. It's one of my favorites in league history. Truly. (Don't judge me.) 

But you had the chance to be unique and weird and loved for it. But no. You couldn't pull the trigger, you cowards. Boo.

(Also, cool middle finger to the 2018-19 season by having your biggest offseason news be about the 2019-20 season lol)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

7 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Could this have been Adidas telling the Canucks that there is no way to incorporate the Flying V into our template, make sure the flying skate wins? The West Coast Express orca jerseys and the flying skates easily fit into the current template.

Might be true, we heard similar excuses from Reebok.

4r2eer.png

22 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I found these gorgeous and I loved how the home whites looked against the backdrop of the well illuminated white ice of the Pacific Coliseum

9978478.jpg?size=640x420

Agreed. I don't get the hate that this uniform set gets. I think it's fantastic and unique, and they never should've changed. 

And extra points for finding a photo of Jimmy Waite (and Gino Odjick)

6 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I have never believed that excuse once, regardless of whether it was Adidas or Reebok spewing it.

The V would be a pretty easy jersey to make, and the margin would be great because it has no front crest! 

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 hours ago, Proc said:

The Canucks are the San Diego Padres of the NHL.  They never seem to find an identity.

The Canucks' true identity is the classic Stick In Rink with Johnny Canuck in blue, green and white. The black, yellow and red Skate is their interim and novelty look. The corporate orca is just a longtime tresspasser. 

20 hours ago, Danny said:

20th anniversary: 1989-90

30th anniversary: 1999-00

40th anniversary: 2010-11

50th anniversary: 2019-20

What was the reason for the 40th anniversary being delayed a year? The lockout? Buffalo did the same thing.

Lockout was the reason.

On 8/14/2018 at 2:13 PM, Danny said:

20th anniversary: 1989-90

30th anniversary: 1999-00

40th anniversary: 2010-11

50th anniversary: 2019-20

What was the reason for the 40th anniversary being delayed a year? The lockout? Buffalo did the same thing.

11 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Lockout was the reason.

The 50th anniversary will be based on the actual birth of the franchise - how many years have the Canucks been in the NHL, not how many seasons played.

The skate jersey is fine as a one-off but the Canucks should never deviate from their blue, green and white scheme ever again.  The decision to go with orange black and yellow is the reason they've had such a troubled identity.

The Flying skate logo is one of the best examples of a logo that looks cool from a distance but once you look at it up close it’s quite bad. 

When i I was younger, I always thought it was really neat because it looked like some sort of abstract sunset and it carried a real presence on the jersey. Then i found out it’s actually just a skate rendered in goofy late 70s graphic design. 

13 hours ago, Morgo said:

The skate jersey is fine as a one-off but the Canucks should never deviate from their blue, green and white scheme ever again.  The decision to go with orange black and yellow is the reason they've had such a troubled identity.

Honestly after almost 50 years, I think it’s kinda the Canucks’ thing to be the team with so many identities.

No other team in the NHL has changed it up so much and I think Canucks should own that. Maybe the kings and Ducks come close, but the Canucks have had more vibrant schemes.

I think it would be kinda cool as a Canucks fan to have to so many jersey options to choose from about 3 or 4 distinct eras plus the Millionaires throwbacks. 

Archived