Atlanta Hawks Unveil New Uniforms, Court for 50th Season

Atlanta Hawks Unveil New Uniforms, Court for 50th Season

August 16, 2018 - 11:07 AM

The Atlanta Hawks will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of their first season in Atlanta with a couple new uniforms, a special black-and-gold court, and an anniversary logo. The Hawks relocated from St. Louis to Atlanta for the 1968-69 season, […]

Read More...

2 hours ago, kimball said:

Totally expect a black and gold version of the Dominique-era jerseys.

3 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Lovely.  One of my favorite color combinations.  As for the court, its looks great,  and can't wait to see what the city uniform will look like in black and  gold

tumblr_nmjy337i2z1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

GET OUT!  GET OUT!  BLACK AND GOLD HAWKS UNIFORMS?  YOU ARE AN ABOMINATION!  

So, Drake moved to Atlanta?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Time for me to vent! 

I love that CEO Steve Koonin thinks outside the box. He's fantastic. But, the Hawks have completely lost an identity at a time when they finally needed to find one. The truth is, they have never had one. 

This 50th anniv logo, court and upcoming uniform are all implementing...black, white and gold? Why? All this is going to do is add another aesthetic to a franchise that can't claim one for its history. The redesign in 2015 is proof that the people pulling the strings in the branding department have no clue what they're doing...unveiling a red/white based logo and then going..."Welp! We are actually red, black and volt, so we're going to let merchandisers re-color our logo in any combination of the colors we want."

Where did that get the Hawks? They can't standardize the volt. There are official team graphics in Philips Arena (or were before the renovation, so we will see how things look) where the background was LIME GREEN. Completely green. But the uniform color is volt, and doesn't even look the same based on material (the black jerseys numbers look yellow but the nameplates glow green).

The brand is a mess...it's basically two brands...and now you are adding a third with this white, gold and black nonsense. 

What they could have done is make their alternate court one that complements the new throwbacks, which are beautiful. 

What they SHOULD have done is pick a red, volt and white aesthetic that isn't as complicated as the tri-color look they have now. I won't even shop for Hawks merch because it all looks atrocious. The red and white merch is most popular with people because it doesn't make you look like a walking comet.

The truth is, outside of Nique's days, the Hawks have never had a solid brand. They don't own a color scheme. All of this "streamlined" hooplah is just diluting their identity even more.

My one kroner on the Hawks:

It seems to me that the Rockets are leaving the yellow behind. This opens up an opportunity to just remove and forget the disgusting volt color and use a yellow/golden yellow color as part of their color identity. The color combo of red, yellow/gold and white will always look way better than red and puke neon green, especially gold, black and white. Andrew Sharp once mentioned on Open Court that if he could just remove one team from the NBA it would be the Hawks. Now, I found this kinda douchy since I kinda like their history but they have been just messing their brand up forever now. It's such a shame. ATL logo could be better but I think it's fine. Just get the colors right and dont try to be something you're simply not. 

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:41 PM, sayahh said:

These aren't the same drop shadow numbers as the new Lakers jersey numbers, right?

These look like they're slightly different. Different angle on the drop shadow.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Hawks certainly do have an identity and it's red and yellow of the late 70s through early 2000s. They've muddled it badly with blue and volt but it's not too late. They had a cohesive identity for almost 30 years.  Did going away from it Sully the brand and turn them from a major 80s franchise to an afterthought? Or was Dominique all that really mattered?

Archived