Hoopladawg87

2018/19 NIKE x NBA Uniform Concepts | NETS City Edition 2/28

On 12/22/2018 at 2:28 AM, itsmb8 said:

Oh man, that is nice!  Personally, I like the red and wish it was somewhere, but regardless this is really nice!  Better coloring than the city edition last year imo.

That brings up another kind of design idea... A mix of the statement and city where the jersey is the same as the statement, the shorts have the arrow stripe down the side but the "m" is from the city design with the rainbow inside the M, and then either white with all green irish rainbow and red outlining or red with green rainbow and white outlining.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Any suggestions for incorporating the red? I don't think it fits into the Irish rainbow striping, but perhaps red Nike swooshes, a red ad patch, a red nameplate, and red numerals (stroked by the darker of the three greens)? I think the completely green chest striping and logo is what throws me off.

Also, I'm intrigued by the direction you've visualized for a combination of the Statement and City Edition uniforms....I'm always hesitant to follow the red and green route, but this could be fun!

3 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Any suggestions for incorporating the red? I don't think it fits into the Irish rainbow striping, but perhaps red Nike swooshes, a red ad patch, a red nameplate, and red numerals (stroked by the darker of the three greens)? I think the completely green chest striping and logo is what throws me off.

Also, I'm intrigued by the direction you've visualized for a combination of the Statement and City Edition uniforms....I'm always hesitant to follow the red and green route, but this could be fun!

With your concept, I think the only place to put red would be with where you suggested.  Maybe red numbers with forest green outline, red outline on the buck logo on the front, red outline on the shorts pattern, and a red nameplate would be the most red could be added without negatively affecting the concept.

Two of my recent obsessions have been photo albums of abandoned malls and art deco posters. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite figure out a way to incorporate the abandoned malls into a uniform....but, I have an idea for an art deco-inspired concept for the New York Knicks. 

The Knicks' have had solid City Edition Uniform designs both last year and this year, both with local inspiration and familiar colors. I really like the inspiration behind both uniforms, but personally I prefer a bit more experimentation outside of the team's primary color palette. So, the goal was to incorporate a new color palette while paying homage to a key piece of the city's history. 

I'm pretty sure every single Knicks concept I've ever created has started with me determined to use anything other than the Empire State Building on the side panels and ended with me helplessly using nothing but the Empire State Building on the side panels. It never turns out well, but regardless....it's an iconic landmark, it's The Most Famous Building in the World, and it's rightfully woven into the fabric that is the city's history. In other words, it's excellent inspiration for a New York Knicks City Edition uniform.

The art deco style is found everywhere throughout the building -- the architecture, the lobby mural, the interior design and decorating, the (previously) official font, etc. I wanted to capture bits of the building's opulence without doing too much, so I focused on a few key elements:

-The 'EMPIRE STATE' lettering on the building's front - This was the obvious choice for the wordmark with its unique font and shimmering gold. 

-The linear pattern found on the front window panes as well as some tile floors - This created a nice vertical pattern for the side panels with clean, straight lines and a shiny silver finish.

-The large mural in the building's lobby - The 'EMPIRE STATE' wordmark under the building inspired the wordmark being placed under the numerals. Also, the lettering from that mural served as the inspiration for what was previously the building's official font (designed by Two Twelve during the building's 2007 renovation project).

The collar, armhole, and shorts trim is vaguely inspired by some of the marble work throughout the building. The '10118' is the zip code belonging entirely to the Empire State Building. I originally wanted to include a subtle all-over herringbone print pattern alluding to the lobby's tile flooring, but it felt like a bit too much.

Hopefully the sharp colors and intricate patterns create a sleek and grandiose design indicative of the building's style, history, and mystique. 

Thanks for taking the time to check this out -- any and all thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

New York Knicks City Edition Uniform Concept

38i6IzB.jpg

I really like most of it, but the number font just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's just the way the 5 looks, but I feel like you could capture the Art Deco style with a better number font (maybe the one used for the wordmark?).

Thats one high class uniform! I really love the collar patterns and sides and also how it really feels like a city inspired uniform! :D I can imagine Frank Sinatra using this uniform while smoking a cigar and holding a glass of whisky; it's one hell of a fashinonable and elegant uniform Hoopla! The tile floor pattern is absolutely stunning!!

On 2/20/2019 at 9:50 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

I really like most of it, but the number font just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's just the way the 5 looks, but I feel like you could capture the Art Deco style with a better number font (maybe the one used for the wordmark?).

I appreciate the input! I understand what you mean regarding the 5 looking a bit off. I kind of like how subtly different and obscure it is, but I recognize I'm very likely in the minority on that one. The number font is intended to match the wordmark font using what was once the building's official font, so I'm not sure where to start in terms of alternatives. I'll look through some comparable art deco fonts and see if anything stands out!

On 2/21/2019 at 1:58 PM, Tore said:

Thats one high class uniform! I really love the collar patterns and sides and also how it really feels like a city inspired uniform! :D I can imagine Frank Sinatra using this uniform while smoking a cigar and holding a glass of whisky; it's one hell of a fashinonable and elegant uniform Hoopla! The tile floor pattern is absolutely stunning!!

Thanks for the positive feedback -- the elegant, Frank Sinatra style was certainly the goal!

On 2/22/2019 at 2:50 PM, Hoopskid said:

Refreshing and unique designs on all of these!

Can't wait to see more - great work

Thank you -- I appreciate the kind words!

There are a number of revisions I want to make on my previous Knicks City Edition uniform concept, but first I have another idea for which I could really use some thoughts and suggestions. 

A while back, @itsmb8 suggested I design some Bucks concepts. I kept drawing a blank for quite a while, recolored last year's City Edition uniform for an Earned Edition uniform concept, and have had them in the back of my mind ever since. 

The idea behind this concept is pretty simple, drawing inspiration from the city's brewing history. I started sifting through different beer can designs one day, wondered if any of the elements could be applied to a basketball uniform, and with Milwaukee being the logical recipient I Google image-searched "milwaukee beer can." The first result that stood out to me was an old, flat-top Miller High Life can from the '80s -- its gold base with green and red accents was vaguely Bucks enough. However, there were too many different lines and colors cluttering up the design, so I kept searching until I came across the much cleaner 2010 redesign

The design takes a bit of a cue from the '80s Hawks uniforms as well as the current Cavs City Edition uniforms, though the wrap-around, label-style design doesn't have any 1:1 NBA precedent to my knowledge. The "Milwaukee" script receives the same lettering treatment as the Miller logo and the front numerals are style after the "HIGH LIFE" lettering....so hopefully someone in the Bucks organization can pull some strings once their sponsorship deal with Harley Davidson expires to establish the good folks at Miller their official sponsor and make these uniforms happen. I'm sure these would be a logistical nightmare to engineer and produce, and I'm not sure they're even legal considering the white and non-white color-blocking, but those are minor details.

One thing that's been irking me is the left side panel. Many cans with similar labels have an awkward blank space between each end of the label, but it looks somewhat natural on the medium of a can. A basketball uniform is a bit different, though....it just feels bare and incomplete.

Hopefully it's a fun and unique idea despite still very much being a work-in-progress. As always, any and all comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Milwaukee Bucks City Edition Uniform Concept

XM2UemG.jpg

13 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

There are a number of revisions I want to make on my previous Knicks City Edition uniform concept, but first I have another idea for which I could really use some thoughts and suggestions. 

A while back, @itsmb8 suggested I design some Bucks concepts. I kept drawing a blank for quite a while, recolored last year's City Edition uniform for an Earned Edition uniform concept, and have had them in the back of my mind ever since. 

The idea behind this concept is pretty simple, drawing inspiration from the city's brewing history. I started sifting through different beer can designs one day, wondered if any of the elements could be applied to a basketball uniform, and with Milwaukee being the logical recipient I Google image-searched "milwaukee beer can." The first result that stood out to me was an old, flat-top Miller High Life can from the '80s -- its gold base with green and red accents was vaguely Bucks enough. However, there were too many different lines and colors cluttering up the design, so I kept searching until I came across the much cleaner 2010 redesign

The design takes a bit of a cue from the '80s Hawks uniforms as well as the current Cavs City Edition uniforms, though the wrap-around, label-style design doesn't have any 1:1 NBA precedent to my knowledge. The "Milwaukee" script receives the same lettering treatment as the Miller logo and the front numerals are style after the "HIGH LIFE" lettering....so hopefully someone in the Bucks organization can pull some strings once their sponsorship deal with Harley Davidson expires to establish the good folks at Miller their official sponsor and make these uniforms happen. I'm sure these would be a logistical nightmare to engineer and produce, and I'm not sure they're even legal considering the white and non-white color-blocking, but those are minor details.

One thing that's been irking me is the left side panel. Many cans with similar labels have an awkward blank space between each end of the label, but it looks somewhat natural on the medium of a can. A basketball uniform is a bit different, though....it just feels bare and incomplete.

Hopefully it's a fun and unique idea despite still very much being a work-in-progress. As always, any and all comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Milwaukee Bucks City Edition Uniform Concept

XM2UemG.jpg

Perfect, absolutely PERFECT!  So original, the color scheme is still Bucks colors, a perfect representation of arguably the biggest Milwaukee-based company.  Bravo my man! 

On 2/26/2019 at 10:12 AM, itsmb8 said:

Perfect, absolutely PERFECT!  So original, the color scheme is still Bucks colors, a perfect representation of arguably the biggest Milwaukee-based company.  Bravo my man! 

Awesome, I'm very happy to hear you approve and I really appreciate all the kind words! :) 

This next concept just kind of came together as I was looking up something on Basketball Reference while tinkering with a few parts of the template. More specifically, I came across Drazen Petrovic's name while I was working on connecting armhole trim to side panel trim and experimenting with two-tone materials/textures

For those unfamiliar Petrovic, he was a star shooting guard overseas in the '80s before a career in the NBA with the Blazers and Nets. An efficient scorer and one of the first truly great 3-point shooters, he was just beginning to reach his prime when he tragically passed away in a car accident at 28. He was inducted into both the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame as well as the FIBA Hall of Fame and is regarded as one of the figureheads responsible for helping popularize NBA basketball throughout Europe.

Anyways, I thought it would be cool to create a City Edition uniform concept in his honor.  

The uniform design follows the general template of the Nets' Association and Icon Edition uniforms -- consistent trim around the collar armholes, along the jersey and shorts side panels, and around the bottoms of the shorts legs, with a centered wordmark and numerals. The color palette is a nod to both the '90s Nets uniforms in which Petrovic played as well as the colors of his native Croatia's flag; the trim pattern is designed as a nod to the flag's striping. The white base of the jersey contains a subtle checkerboard pattern as another nod to the Croatian flag. The wordmark and numerals remain the same as the ones on his home white Nets' jerseys.

It's a clean, simple design that adds bits of familiar color to the Nets' palette while subtly paying tribute to the life, career, and legacy of Drazen Petrovic.

Thanks for looking -- any and all comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated!

Brooklyn Nets City Edition Uniform Concept

kVAAuHV.jpg