Hoopladawg87

2018/19 NIKE x NBA Uniform Concepts | TORONTO RAPTORS 6/10

Recommended Posts

This is EXACTLY what the Phoenix Suns NEED!! This is a city edition uniform that makes one hell of a statement! :) One of, if not, the best Suns concepts I have ever seen - minimalistic and the star speaks volumes! Great concept Hoopla!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 8:57 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

IPhoenix Suns City Edition Uniform Concept

MyuBAnV.jpg

 

giphy.gif

 

Wow 🤔 G-A-U-D-Y (but interesting 🤨) in a good way. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 8:57 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

I've been busy with work and life and a couple of side projects, but I had some time this evening to smooth out an idea I've been sitting on for a while. It isn't a full set of team concepts like I've been doing so far, but hopefully you find it fun and exciting.

 

During Nike's first two years outfitting the NBA, the Phoenix Suns have worn what I would consider to be two solid-but-not-spectacular City Edition uniforms. Last season's version was clean and understated with a unique but dull color palette; this season's version has a more vibrant color palette and intricate details, but an incoherent design. Plus, both uniforms have the same 'LOSSUNS' wordmarks that are terrible on multiple levels.

 

However, this season's shorts include a re-colored version of the Arizona state flag on the right leg, and that's the basis for my concept. I also took inspiration from the team's beloved mid-'90s uniforms that I touched on in a set of concepts once before.

 

The idea was basically to use the Arizona state flag pattern as the focal point by including the front numerals within the star. The alternating red and yellow sunrays lent themselves well to two separate gradients - one yellow-to-orange and one red-to-purple - that transition from the original colors to the Suns' colors while creating a glowing sunburst pattern. The lower legs of the shorts contain an abbreviated version of this pattern sans the central star. Other details include the phoenix icon from the city of Phoenix's flag on the belt buckle and 'PHOENIX' and 'ARIZONA' wordmarks along the fronts of the shorts legs. I can't think of any professional sports uniforms that have wordmarks for the city and state on them, but it feels right for a number of reasons -- the seven letters in each wordmark give the shorts symmetry, the shorts symmetry balances well against the wordmark-less jersey, and also I just really like how 'ARIZONA' looks in the team's font.

 

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

 

Phoenix Suns City Edition Uniform Concept

MyuBAnV.jpg

Ooh, that's purty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 9:46 PM, KevinJohnsonThaTruth said:

Otherworldly fire.


Beautiful concept and very unique.

 

You must send it to the Suns organization.

 

I really appreciate the positive feedback! I'd be very surprised if team's took fan-made uniform submissions seriously, but I've definitely thought about contacting teams in hopes of making it happen!

 

On 11/20/2018 at 5:51 AM, Tore said:

This is EXACTLY what the Phoenix Suns NEED!! This is a city edition uniform that makes one hell of a statement! :) One of, if not, the best Suns concepts I have ever seen - minimalistic and the star speaks volumes! Great concept Hoopla!  

 

Thank you very much, my friend!

 

On 11/20/2018 at 7:25 PM, jaytavo305 said:

wowwww. If that dropped, im positive it would be a league favorite. Thats super hard, nice work

 

Thanks a lot!

 

On 11/21/2018 at 2:06 AM, jus2damcrazey219 said:

 

giphy.gif

 

Wow 🤔 G-A-U-D-Y (but interesting 🤨) in a good way. 👍

 

Ha! I like to think that this exact response is what I was aiming for throughout the design process!

 

On 11/21/2018 at 6:45 AM, MCM0313 said:

Ooh, that's purty.

 

Thank you very much!

 

On 11/21/2018 at 8:02 AM, hendocfc said:

The shorts wordmarks seem a little cheesy to me,like either have one of them or none. Not both. That aside,it's fantastic.

 

I really appreciate the feedback! I think you're definitely right -- having two different wordmarks on the shorts just looks and feels a bit off. With it being a City Edition uniform predominantly inspired by the state flag but with the city flag on the belt buckle, my indecisiveness (and desperation for symmetry) got the best of me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been in a bit of a stagnant space creatively for most of the past couple weeks, so I'm trying to find my way out of it by boxing myself in. I keep some random notes on teams as different ideas and inspirations hit, so I took what was by my approximation thee absolute worst thing I had written down and forced myself to create a clear, interesting, and unique concept for it. I'm actually comfortable sharing the finished design now, but let me tell you -- it looked downright idiotic at several points along the way. 

 

The Chicago Bulls seem to have one of the best City Edition uniform collections in the League through the first two years of Nike's NBA uniform program. Last season's version offered a beautiful city flag-inspired spin on their traditional uniform template; this season's version uses the same inspiration but different color and design elements. However, the concept of the city flag serving as the foundation for the team's City Edition uniform is now thoroughly exhausted.

 

One of the more fun and unique City Edition design themes this season has been centered around public figures who weren't NBA players -- most notably Minnesota's and Brooklyn's respective tributes to Prince and The Notorious B.I.G. So with that in mind, I focused on a prominent Chicagoan with a well-known affinity for the game of basketball: Barack Obama.

 

The NBA is certainly the most progressive league in American professional sports, but I'm still not sure we'd see a team wear a politically politician-themed uniform anytime soon. Anyways, the general inspiration behind this concept is the iconic Barack Obama "Hope" poster originally created by artist Shepard Fairey. I wanted to preserve at least a bit of the Bulls' traditional uniform template, albeit with the poster's color palette applied to the always-awful split-jersey design

 

A secondary inspiration for this concept was the Chicago Stags throwback uniforms that split at the waist to pair a red jersey with blue shorts. (This coincidental tie-in was ultimately what convinced me to consider this project in the first place.) I really like the simplicity and quirkiness of the font from that uniform's wordmark, so I recreated it without the arching to better fit the linearity of the color split and coincide with the level font of the Hope poster. I also followed that uniform's general color distribution for the wordmarks, numerals, and nameplate. All of the trim is the off-white/cream color of the poster's borders. 

 

The shorts retain the traditional diamond side panels, but filled in with the navy blue to help balance the shorts against the navy wordmark and numerals on the jersey. Each diamond is accented with the four stars from the city flag in the opposite side's colors to increase contrast. (I'll spare you all from the nonsensical brandspeak, but part of the thinking there was 4 stars on the left leg + 4 stars on the right leg = Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States of America.) Finally, the belt buckle contains the logo that was used for both of Barack Obama's election campaigns and that is currently used for the Obama Foundation.

 

Thanks for looking! Hopefully it isn't as terrible as other split-color uniforms you've seen before. Please let me know your thoughts!

 

Chicago Bulls City Edition Uniform Concept

IiOHZKi.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

WE WANT THE BUCKS!  xD But really, these past two city concepts have been fire, nothing more to say.

 

Ha! You know the Bucks are the one I've been stuck on lately! 

 

I appreciate the kind words!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Chicago! One thought, though: perhaps changing the "O" logo on the shorts to a "C"? Make it slightly more "Chicago" themed, as well as slightly playing down the political connection, for those who aren't fans of Obama (not me, I love the guy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I love Chicago! One thought, though: perhaps changing the "O" logo on the shorts to a "C"? Make it slightly more "Chicago" themed, as well as slightly playing down the political connection, for those who aren't fans of Obama (not me, I love the guy).

I've gotta agree.  Making it based off of the Obama poster is fine i guess, but these really shouldnt have a political connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I love Chicago! One thought, though: perhaps changing the "O" logo on the shorts to a "C"? Make it slightly more "Chicago" themed, as well as slightly playing down the political connection, for those who aren't fans of Obama (not me, I love the guy).

 

14 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

I've gotta agree.  Making it based off of the Obama poster is fine i guess, but these really shouldnt have a political connection.

 

Great call -- thanks for the input! The political context of that logo felt more than a bit off on the uniform, but I couldn't seem to find anything else that made sense in that space. (The four flag stars they currently use are already in the diamond panels, the bull head logo looked terrible, etc.) I think something more neutral and Chicago-specific will be a much better fit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

 

 

Great call -- thanks for the input! The political context of that logo felt more than a bit off on the uniform, but I couldn't seem to find anything else that made sense in that space. (The four flag stars they currently use are already in the diamond panels, the bull head logo looked terrible, etc.) I think something more neutral and Chicago-specific will be a much better fit!

 

What about a bi-colored buckle that gives the shape of the skyline?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 6:57 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

I've been busy with work and life and a couple of side projects, but I had some time this evening to smooth out an idea I've been sitting on for a while. It isn't a full set of team concepts like I've been doing so far, but hopefully you find it fun and exciting.

 

During Nike's first two years outfitting the NBA, the Phoenix Suns have worn what I would consider to be two solid-but-not-spectacular City Edition uniforms. Last season's version was clean and understated with a unique but dull color palette; this season's version has a more vibrant color palette and intricate details, but an incoherent design. Plus, both uniforms have the same 'LOSSUNS' wordmarks that are terrible on multiple levels.

 

However, this season's shorts include a re-colored version of the Arizona state flag on the right leg, and that's the basis for my concept. I also took inspiration from the team's beloved mid-'90s uniforms that I touched on in a set of concepts once before.

 

The idea was basically to use the Arizona state flag pattern as the focal point by including the front numerals within the star. The alternating red and yellow sunrays lent themselves well to two separate gradients - one yellow-to-orange and one red-to-purple - that transition from the original colors to the Suns' colors while creating a glowing sunburst pattern. The lower legs of the shorts contain an abbreviated version of this pattern sans the central star. Other details include the phoenix icon from the city of Phoenix's flag on the belt buckle and 'PHOENIX' and 'ARIZONA' wordmarks along the fronts of the shorts legs. I can't think of any professional sports uniforms that have wordmarks for the city and state on them, but it feels right for a number of reasons -- the seven letters in each wordmark give the shorts symmetry, the shorts symmetry balances well against the wordmark-less jersey, and also I just really like how 'ARIZONA' looks in the team's font.

 

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

 

Phoenix Suns City Edition Uniform Concept

MyuBAnV.jpg

Hey you wouldn’t mind me asking what font you used for the “ARIZONA” script on the shorts would you? Great concepts man! Keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 2:19 PM, jaytavo305 said:

I love the idea, its a cool design too. 

 

Thanks a lot!

 

On 11/25/2018 at 5:30 PM, itsmb8 said:

 

What about a bi-colored buckle that gives the shape of the skyline?

 

I think the skyline is a better option than the Obama Foundation logo, but I'm not entirely sold on it -- most likely because I don't quite like how the Dallas skyline looks as the belt buckle logo on the Mavs' City Edition shorts. I'll have to revisit this at some point!

 

On 12/8/2018 at 10:42 PM, Tomanaki said:

Big fan of the Spurs concept, a lot like the Grizzlies throwback. 

 

Thanks! I wanted to differentiate from that uniform/era as much as I could, but I can't see a teal uniform and not think '90s Grizz!

 

On 12/14/2018 at 8:03 PM, patricksports111 said:

Hey you wouldn’t mind me asking what font you used for the “ARIZONA” script on the shorts would you? Great concepts man! Keep up the good work!

 

I appreciate it! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the font the Suns use -- the 'PHOENIX' and 'ARIZONA' scripts were created by hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally found some time and inspiration to create following the release of this season's Earned Edition uniforms. In some cases, I much prefer the recolored Earned Edition uniforms over their original Statement and/or City Edition counterparts. However, for the Milwaukee Bucks, I think the potential of the Mecca-inspired City Edition template was maxed out with the full Mecca color palette and design. I still like their Earned Edition uniform, as it's nice looking in its own right, but I felt as though the return of the Irish rainbow could be more fittingly applied to last season's City Edition uniform template -- one that clearly emphasized colors and striping. So, that's what this concept is. I've also never been a big fan of their green and red look, so red was removed from the color palette entirely. Nothing revolutionary, but hopefully a nice, simple take that pairs a clean uniform with a fun color palette.

 

As always, your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are always appreciated!

 

Milwaukee Bucks Earned Edition Uniform Concept

O7rtDxu.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I finally found some time and inspiration to create following the release of this season's Earned Edition uniforms. In some cases, I much prefer the recolored Earned Edition uniforms over their original Statement and/or City Edition counterparts. However, for the Milwaukee Bucks, I think the potential of the Mecca-inspired City Edition template was maxed out with the full Mecca color palette and design. I still like their Earned Edition uniform, as it's nice looking in its own right, but I felt as though the return of the Irish rainbow could be more fittingly applied to last season's City Edition uniform template -- one that clearly emphasized colors and striping. So, that's what this concept is. I've also never been a big fan of their green and red look, so red was removed from the color palette entirely. Nothing revolutionary, but hopefully a nice, simple take that pairs a clean uniform with a fun color palette.

 

As always, your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are always appreciated!

 

Milwaukee Bucks Earned Edition Uniform Concept

O7rtDxu.jpg

 

Oh man, that is nice!  Personally, I like the red and wish it was somewhere, but regardless this is really nice!  Better coloring than the city edition last year imo.

 

That brings up another kind of design idea... A mix of the statement and city where the jersey is the same as the statement, the shorts have the arrow stripe down the side but the "m" is from the city design with the rainbow inside the M, and then either white with all green irish rainbow and red outlining or red with green rainbow and white outlining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.