AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

Vegas Golden Knights have purchased the San Antonio Rampage from Spurs Sports and Entertainment and plan on relocating them to Henderson/Las Vegas area for 2020-21 pending AHL board approval. Maybe San Antonio can pick up an ECHL team. It be a shame for San Antonio to lose out on hockey.

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

16 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Vegas Golden Knights have purchased the San Antonio Rampage from Spurs Sports and Entertainment and plan on relocating them to Henderson/Las Vegas area for 2020-21 pending AHL board approval. Maybe San Antonio can pick up an ECHL team. It be a shame for San Antonio to lose out on hockey.

That’s a bummer for San Antonio. I was really thinking that Stockton was going to be the team to move, given their apparent arena issues.

Edited by DustDevil61
Apparent arena issues
  • Like 1

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Andlauer is being a dick IMO. 

theres 2 proposals out there to renovate the First Ontario Centre (and the concert hall/convention centre) without having Hamilton spend public money....or his for that matter. 

there’s literally no need to move the team. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5452506

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a change that I only recently came across. The Winnipeg Blues of the Jr. A MJHL were sold to the owners of the WHL's Winnipeg Ice prior to this season and they switched from St. Louis jerseys to the Ice's jerseys, but kept the yellow so there's a lot of colours.

ESJvtDfVAAA7H0S?format=jpg

71510982_2141829145923856_49143311595229

I also think having the Ice logo be the shoulder patch is a weird move.

IbjBaeE.png

On 2/20/2020 at 5:01 AM, JerseyJimmy said:

Cincinnati's got Beast-themed unis coming for what I assume is a Kings Island night and they look aces

imagine the possibilities if other ECHL teams do this. Atlanta Goliaths. Toledo Mavericks. Utah Cannibals okay maybe that one's a little too metal

That would have been awkward if they were playing Brampton. The night was to celebrate The Beasts 40th anniversary at Kings Island last year.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

32 minutes ago, Corvus said:

Why does this look like 7-11 owns a hockey team?

The team at the time were owned by an intercity bus company and their colours were orange and green so they applied this to the team.  I think the logo was also similar.

• 3 weeks later...

The Portland Winterhawks unveiled a new alternate logo and third jersey designed by Adidas back on Feb 21. I fully expect this to become the team's full-time logo some day.

Adidas-NHL-REVEAL-Jersey-Logo-Line-Up-19

2020-Jersey-off-the-Back-Screen-1024x576

• Like 3
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 3/28/2020 at 2:06 PM, nash61 said:

The Portland Winterhawks unveiled a new alternate logo and third jersey designed by Adidas back on Feb 21. I fully expect this to become the team's full-time logo some day.

Adidas-NHL-REVEAL-Jersey-Logo-Line-Up-19

2020-Jersey-off-the-Back-Screen-1024x576

I don't know how I missed this. I've been a big Winterhawks fan my whole life but haven't been as attentive since moving away. I agree with your assessment that this is where they are going for a new logo sooner than later. I feel like they've been looking for options for a while now. They had the "Hawk Eyes" logo which makes an appearance on this hawk logo if I'm not mistaken. Also, great use of the 4 feathers in there. This kind of reminds me of that blackhawks "hawk" concept that shows up quite frequently. They've used the white, red, black Winterhawk logo (seen in the puck above) for print and ads and more recently using the roundel with the P on billboards and ads. I would also argue you probably wouldn't get a full new logo and additional marks like shoulder logos if you weren't looking at options for a full rebrand. That rose is clever too. Big fan of that. This jersey was used for one weekend this year, I see it as the alternate next year and then maybe two or three years the full time look. I hope that red is the primary when that day comes as the all black seems like it should be the alternate.

• Like 1

SEAsig.png

• 1 month later...

Three Jr. A updates.

I missed this because I was meaning to keep an eye out for these, but the expansion Cranbrook Bucks of the BCHL who are supposed to start next season unveiled their jerseys a while ago. They are quite boring and I find them pretty unbalanced because of the inconsistent striping. I do think something like the Maple Leafs can work with different sleeve and hem striping, but this doesn't. Maybe it's the fact that it's three stripes on the sleeves and only one on the hem, or maybe it's because the hem stripe is too thin. I don't know, I know I just don't really like them. (The white jersey is just the inverse of this jersey, I wanted to save space on this post)

Green-Jersey-e1588627957194-768x635.png

Meanwhile over in the AJHL, the Calgary Canucks have a 50th anniversary logo and continuing their weird effort at rebranding from last year, it features the current colours but only the old logo.

Ne7uyKT.png

And then also in the AJHL, another thing I meant to keep an eye out for but also missed, the semi-expansion/semi-relocation team in Blackfalds that's supposed to start in the 2021-22 season unveiled their name and logo.

Bulldogs-Welcome-Graphic%20(1).jpg

The jersey colours will be a mix of grey, black and white. “Grey represents strength and control, while white represents new beginnings and balance, and black represents power and intensity.”

So... it'll probably be another junior hockey team using the Kings template.

“We selected ‘Bulldogs’ because there is already an established familiarity with the Town of Blackfalds and their Minor Hockey Association,” said team owner Doug Quinn. “It was less about a lack of imagination and more about wanting to be part of an established team and its community. We look forward to bringing an exciting and entertaining AJHL team to Blackfalds.”

In a weird twist, the team that is relocating to Blackfalds (who actually took a leave of absence for the 2019-20 season prior to being sold and then won't play again until the 2021-22 season), the Calgary Mustangs switched to Mustangs from Royals in 2010 because they wanted to separate themselves from an minor hockey organization in Calgary who they shared a name and logo with. So they had changed in the past to separate themselves from a minor hockey association just to find themselves once again back connected to a minor hokey association. (The connection is in name alone. There is no formal connection in organizations between junior hockey and minor league hockey teams in Canada).

As for why the Jr. A team shared a name and logo with the minor hockey association, according to a news article I just found about the name change, the future-Mustangs ownership had been lent money from the association in 1990 to help buy the Jr. A team.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

Ayr Centennials of the Provincial Junior C Hockey league purchased the Kitchener Dutchmen of the Greater Ontario Junior B Hockey League and moves them to Ayr, thus moving from Jr C to Jr B. The Cens won back to back Jr C championships a couple years ago and are now the smallest market in the GOJHL, with approximately 4,000 residents. 

49871547756_be99b30312_c.jpg