AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

QMJHL: Cape Breton Quiets Down – Changes Name, Logo, Uniforms

August 16, 2019 - 13:58 PM

There will be a lot less “screaming” on Cape Breton in 2020. Yesterday the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League announced the team would be dropping the “Screaming” half of their name, introduced a new […]

Read More...

• Like 1

The Cape Breton redesign is great and a huge upgrade (especially the CBE secondary mark). However, I think placing the text emphasis on EAGLES and not CAPE BRETON is a little bit of a blunder, because I can't shake this feeling like it's a stock art design on Shutterstock or a generic Create-A-Team design. That vibe may be due in part to the illustration and text styling as well, or due to the fact that Cape Breton is disconnected from the rest of the crest. 

I think a small change like this helps make the primary design a little less generic. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

Right, well, Cape Breton is far from a desert.

I believe he was referring to the Firebirds choice

As for the Eagles update, I actually liked the 'Screaming' prefix. Without it you have a much more generic identity, especially with the new logo looking like it was pulled from the create-a-team mode of a video game. I do really like the alternate logo though.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 9:31 PM, monkeypower said:

Calgary Hitmen 25th anniversary logo.

D92CftMVUAAoHLJ?format=jpg&name=medium

Keeping the white under the eyes is a little odd with the all silver logo. They’ve used an all white mask logo in the past for marketing where the under eye was the same colour as the mask.

The Hitmen also have a metallic(?) version of the logo which I think almost looks better than the flat version. The white under the eyes isn't as egregious because it looks like the metallic sheen and the outline pops more.

v1Ony54.png

Also, their season ticket package includes a 25th anniversary jersey so that's on they way, but it remains to be seen if it's a straight throwback like the 20th or a new alternate like the 10th and 15th.

Related, the Hitmen also appear to have dropped the retro alternate (which they wore since they brought it back for the 20th anniversary) because they didn't wear it at all last season.

IbjBaeE.png

Sorry for the double (I guess triple post), but the Calgary Canucks of the AJHL (Jr. A) unveiled their new logo and um.... I guess it adds another wrinkle into the discussion from the NHL thread about what a "Canuck" means/represents?

MainLogo.png?resize=594%2C552&ssl=1

Our new logo incorporates and preserves the origins of the team, while providing a fresh bold personality.  The bull symbolizes strength and stability, and purposefully ties in to the rich cattle and Stampede history of Calgary and area.  We continue to adorn the blue, green and white but with a deeper blue and more vibrant green.

It's not great. For starters, his right hand doesn't appear to be holding the stick and I think it's weird to have the left hand flipped like he's taking a faceoff. Also, his jersey is the Canucks old colours.

And here's a Calgary Tower alternate..

Secondary2.png?zoom=2&resize=307,350&ssl

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

17 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Sorry for the double (I guess triple post), but the Calgary Canucks of the AJHL (Jr. A) unveiled their new logo and um.... I guess it adds another wrinkle into the discussion from the NHL thread about what a "Canuck" means/represents?

It's not great. For starters, his right hand doesn't appear to be holding the stick and I think it's weird to have the left hand flipped like he's taking a faceoff. Also, his jersey is the Canucks old colours.

Disappointing.  I had a respect for the Calgary Canucks because they had stayed tried-and-true to their logo for a long time and had avoided going with some cartoon logo which can litter Junior A hockey.  Disappointed about the announced changes in the colours too.

28 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Not really.  A Canuck is still meant to be a person, not an animal.  The bull represents Calgary more than it does a Canuck.

• Like 1

The Utah Grizzlies updated their jerseys for this upcoming 2019-20 season, and while it needs a claw hem stripe (or any hem stripe, really) and to be primarily green, IMO they’re better than the last set:

lg20181013-140771.jpg

Of course, I’m probably not the only one who thinks they got it right the fir, er, second time:

1123-sfbulls-080.jpg

Edited by DustDevil61
Updated photo
  • Like 4

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

4 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Usually you’re taught evenly going heel to toe when you tape your stick, but I guess heavy overlaying on the top 2/3s is an option too.

Palm Springs AHL Trademarks Two More Names

August 19, 2019 - 13:11 PM

Palm Springs, the future top-level affiliate of the Seattle NHL franchise, has trademarked two additional team names this week. According to Clark Rasmussen of DetroitHockey.Net, the two names trademarked were Palm Springs Hawks and Palm Springs Eagles. Both were filed […]

Read More...