AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

On 8/17/2019 at 7:05 PM, DustDevil61 said:

Of course, I’m probably not the only one who thinks they got it right the fir, er, second time:

1123-sfbulls-080.jpg

Those old Grizz jerseys are just spectacular...really sucks they’ve changed from such a gorgeous and unique color scheme to bring pretty much just another black uniform club.  I mean the 19/20 set is a decent enough and an upgrade of their current set but they don’t represent the club identity nearly as well as these beauties.

• Like 2

London Knights just unveiled their new uniforms:

While I do like the use of the old Late 80's-Early 90's template, it just looks really out of place with the 2000's logo. I'm sure it'll grow on me and I'll have a different opinion in a couple of months. Right now though, I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.

• Like 2

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

13 hours ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

Palm Springs AHL Trademarks Two More Names

August 19, 2019 - 13:11 PM

Palm Springs, the future top-level affiliate of the Seattle NHL franchise, has trademarked two additional team names this week. According to Clark Rasmussen of DetroitHockey.Net, the two names trademarked were Palm Springs Hawks and Palm Springs Eagles. Both were filed […]

Read More...

Hawks and Eagles???  🙄 Please no.  At least the Firebirds somewhat connects to the weather they have.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

I'm still bummed that the Idaho Steelheads got snubbed...they are a TRULY GREAT organization with proven support and deserve to make the jump up!

Oh well, at least the bidding process may have given them some buzz as a possible relocation destination.

• Like 2

bYhYmxh.png

23 hours ago, MBurmy said:

I'm still bummed that the Idaho Steelheads got snubbed...they are a TRULY GREAT organization with proven support and deserve to make the jump up!

Oh well, at least the bidding process may have given them some buzz as a possible relocation destination.

I think what did Idaho in was travel. Much like Edmonton and Calgary, I think Seattle ultimately chose to put their farm team in Southern California because it places their prospects near a major hub (LAX) and close to their divisional opponents for call-ups on the road. 

That being said, I agree it's a shame. Maybe in a few more years...we'll see.

Our HC logo ties in traditional logos of old hockey clubs, especially in Europe, with elements of our primary logo which we refer to as our shield logo. The shield is a very common shape in hockey club logos, and the alternating grey and white resembles the same in our shield logo. The jet also is the exact jet you see in our shield logo.

giphy.gif

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

On August 12, 2019 at 5:54 PM, nash61 said:

After going to their site, it is obvious that the one major change is that all previous gold is now yellow. I'm thinking we will see an updated version of the North Stars jerseys. 

1992-1993%20London%20Knights%2016%20Brad

On August 19, 2019 at 10:52 AM, chrysleraspen08 said:

London Knights just unveiled their new uniforms:

While I do like the use of the old Late 80's-Early 90's template, it just looks really out of place with the 2000's logo. I'm sure it'll grow on me and I'll have a different opinion in a couple of months. Right now though, I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.

Whoomp, there it is.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The Barrie Colts are currently selling these in their team store. While there's nothing yet saying that they're wearing them during the season, judging by the quality of this jersey (stitched crest, CCM tag, etc.) I'd say it's more likely than not.

spacer.png

Also, the Sarnia Sting just tweeted this teaser for a new jersey:

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

On 8/20/2019 at 8:59 PM, Thaumatrope said:

I think what did Idaho in was travel. Much like Edmonton and Calgary, I think Seattle ultimately chose to put their farm team in Southern California because it places their prospects near a major hub (LAX) and close to their divisional opponents for call-ups on the road.

Bingo!

While a Boise-based American Hockey League affiliate would have been more conveniently located in relation to its NHL Seattle parent-club, its distance from the markets of other AHL Pacific Division opponents would have been significant in terms of the time and expense necessary to travel to them for games.  Certainly greater than the distance, time, and expense involved in traveling to the markets of divisional opponents from the proposed Palm Springs arena site.

The proposed Palm Springs arena site to the arenas in...
Ontario, CA = 68 miles
San Diego, CA = 127 miles
Bakersfield, CA = 216 miles
Tucson, AZ = 381 miles
Stockton, CA = 444 miles

San Jose, CA = 446 miles
Loveland, CO = 1,025 miles 

Boise arena to arenas in...
Stockton, CA = 604 miles 
San Jose, CA = 673 miles 
Loveland, CO = 765 miles
Bakersfield, CA = 802 miles
Ontario, CA = 827 miles
San Diego, CA = 929 miles
Tucson, AZ = 1,037 miles

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 11:20 AM, Brian in Boston said:

Bingo!

While a Boise-based American Hockey League affiliate would have been more conveniently located in relation to its NHL Seattle parent-club, its distance from the markets of other AHL Pacific Division opponents would have been significant in terms of the time and expense necessary to travel to them for games.  Certainly greater than the distance, time, and expense involved in traveling to the markets of divisional opponents from the proposed Palm Springs arena site.

The proposed Palm Springs arena site to the arenas in...
Ontario, CA = 68 miles
San Diego, CA = 127 miles
Bakersfield, CA = 216 miles
Tucson, AZ = 381 miles
Stockton, CA = 444 miles

San Jose, CA = 446 miles
Loveland, CO = 1,025 miles 

Boise arena to arenas in...
Stockton, CA = 604 miles 
San Jose, CA = 673 miles 
Loveland, CO = 765 miles
Bakersfield, CA = 802 miles
Ontario, CA = 827 miles
San Diego, CA = 929 miles
Tucson, AZ = 1,037 miles

I get what you're saying...oh well, I suppose Boise's now a pretty attractive relocation destination for any AHL team looking to move.

(I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks bought the Steelheads to move them to the AHL and the Utica Comets to the ECHL).

bYhYmxh.png

21 hours ago, MBurmy said:

I get what you're saying...oh well, I suppose Boise's now a pretty attractive relocation destination for any AHL team looking to move.

(I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks bought the Steelheads to move them to the AHL and the Utica Comets to the ECHL).

I would be surprised.  The Canucks have extended their AHL deal with Utica:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-utica-comets-contract

They have opt out options in the deal.  If they were to opt out of the deal to move a team closer to home, would think Boise would be farther down the list.  Canucks ownership acknowledged putting a team back in Abbotsford as an option or even in Vancouver at Pacific Coliseum.  Have a feeling if they could make it work financially, Abbotsford really would be the most ideal place as there is already a base of Canucks fans there:

https://www.abbynews.com/municipal-election/canucks-owner-says-abbotsford-one-option-for-farm-team/

• Like 1

Kinda weird the Canucks would consider putting their farm team in the Pacific Coliseum instead of the building they already own.  Why pay rent when you don't need to?

The Leafs don't own the Coca-Cola Coliseum where the Marlies play, but they do run it.  

On 8/30/2019 at 11:03 PM, MBurmy said:

Boise was passed up for a reason. The owner of the Steelheads and the staff think they've found a model that works there. Increasing ticket prices to support an AHL team likely wouldn't fly. Also, from what I've seen/heard, the owner wasn't too keen on turning over hockey ops, if not all ops, to Seattle.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football