Dante_X

AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

I was at home over the weekend for Thanksgiving and my dad was telling me he and others keep seeing the anniversary patch as the sleeve numbers during games, so the Hitmen players look like they're all #25. 

Hitmen14-1-730x487.jpg

On 10/15/2019 at 10:07 AM, MBurmy said:

Unless they move back to the East, I'm not sure what recourse they have. I can't think of anywhere in California they can go, and since the Flames own them, they'll have to eat the extra travel costs involved in relocation.

I mean, what are they going to do, revive the Sundogs?

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Unless they move back to the East, I'm not sure what recourse they have. I can't think of anywhere in California they can go, and since the Flames own them, they'll have to eat the extra travel costs involved in relocation.

I mean, what are they going to do, revive the Sundogs?

Back to Abbotsford?

16 minutes ago, Corvus said:

Back to Abbotsford?

The funny thing is, if they sold to Vancouver, it could actually work in the league footprint this time.

19 minutes ago, Corvus said:

Back to Abbotsford?

I think Abbotsford already proved it isn't too keen on supporting a Flames affiliate.

27 minutes ago, Corvus said:

Back to Abbotsford?

Minor-league hockey will always struggle in Canada, especially in markets that already have a Junior A team. The only way Abbotsford AHL works is if it's the Canucks doing it. Even then, I'm only about 85% sure it'll work. Since the Canucks seem happy with Utica, I'd say it's a no-go.

3 hours ago, Corvus said:

Back to Abbotsford?

I could see them pulling a Winnipeg and going to Calgary. The Hitmen drew 7363 last year, while Stockton drew 3690. The Flames already own the Hitmen, and could do with them as they pleased.

36 minutes ago, nash61 said:

I could see them pulling a Winnipeg and going to Calgary. The Hitmen drew 7363 last year, while Stockton drew 3690. The Flames already own the Hitmen, and could do with them as they pleased.

They could do that, but why risk a good thing with the Hitmen?  

13 hours ago, nash61 said:

Yeah.... that's not going to happen.

The Hitmen are having Bret Hart Night on November 2 in conjuction with Prostate Cancer awareness.

EHLma9SUEAM1k8E.jpg

Somehow this one went under the radar for me and maybe most of us.

Baie-Comeau Drakkar have dropped the black trim this year.  Going just red and yellow.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 10/18/2019 at 12:55 PM, monkeypower said:

The Hitmen are having Bret Hart Night on November 2 in conjuction with Prostate Cancer awareness.

EHLma9SUEAM1k8E.jpg

Love the tie-in with it being the 25th anniversary.  Back in original colours,

Not a Hitmen fan myself, but curious about how their fans would feel about a return to the original colours full-time.  I like the pink and silver trim better than the red and copper trim they have going on.  An uncommon colour scheme that works.  Always liked this past uniform they wore as an alternate.  This idea with tweaks such as making the stripes on the jersey like they are on the socks would be a good primary look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Does it seem like all of the special and alternate uniforms in junior are using the old CCM template?

The Hitmen should absolutely have hot pink accents all the time, it's the one uniform issue in major-junior that I can work up any passion for. Don't overdo it, a little goes a long way, but it's ridiculous to do anything else. They're the Hitmen from Calgary, Alberta, Canada! Come on!

So the pink Ducks jersey was for the 15th anniversary and then they wore it as an alternate for a couple seasons after.

Then for their 20th, they brought back the actual throwbacks and added the original starburst logo on one shoulder with the anniversary logo on the other.

Kenton+Helgesen+Medicine+Hat+Tigers+v+Ca

Then after that season they switched out the anniversary logo for another starburst logo and wore it as an alternate up until last season.

They are playing an outdoor game in Regina against the Pats the day after the Flames and Jets play. This will be the second time the Hitmen have played outdoors (the other time was also against Regina) and wore these jerseys last time, so I am expecting some pink and grey again if there are going to be jerseys for the game. They also kept these around as an alternate for a few seasons too. (This was also during a time period where one of the helmet decals was flipped for some reason)

WHL+outdoor+game+mark+rogers.jpg

17 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

Not a Hitmen fan myself, but curious about how their fans would feel about a return to the original colours full-time.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The Hitmen should absolutely have hot pink accents all the time, it's the one uniform issue in major-junior that I can work up any passion for. Don't overdo it, a little goes a long way, but it's ridiculous to do anything else. They're the Hitmen from Calgary, Alberta, Canada! Come on!

I think the current colours have been around for so long at this point. As a fan of both of these teams, I think a fairly good comparison is the Ducks. They both started with branding deeply tied into their ownership with unconventional colours. They both changed to their current branding after new ownership took over and have seen championships in current branding with their first championships coming in the first year of the current branding (the Hitmen have since won another).

Not that I think there's as much clamor for the pink Hitmen as there is for the Mighty Ducks, but the current branding has been around for so long now that I think both ownership groups are fine with keeping the old branding around for anniversaries, special occasions and double dipping on the merch.

Okay well you have to understand that I was a huge Bret Hart fan as a kid and the idea of a developmental hockey team continuing to honor him tickles me.

58 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Okay well you have to understand that I was a huge Bret Hart fan as a kid and the idea of a developmental hockey team continuing to honor him tickles me.

Back for the 20th anniversary they used his theme as the goal song.

Looks like we missed new Solar Bears unis:

Looks like the teal is dropped completely.  The OSB looks dumb.

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Looks like we missed new Solar Bears unis:

Looks like the teal is dropped completely.  The OSB looks dumb.

Full set:

AGY7KMNTMBCYLN2VPN3EYV6FPE.jpg

On October 19, 2019 at 8:57 PM, Wade Heidt said:

Somehow this one went under the radar for me and maybe most of us.

Baie-Comeau Drakkar have dropped the black trim this year.  Going just red and yellow.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dear Calgary Flames: This is how you update your look.