AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

On 3/12/2021 at 5:41 PM, monkeypower said:

The red and blue Brooks Bandits of the AJHL unveiled a BFBS new alternate.

I have zero prior knowledge of this team, and in full honesty after minimal research, this isn't a terrible look IMO

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

After making a really great change to the home and away set, the Wheat Kings also snuck a new "Stealth" alternate in a couple days ago.

Those sleeve numbers are so small.

Also the Hitmen and Hurricanes played a colour on colour game, with the mismatched socks (all the WHL teams appeared to do it). There's no good game action photos, but you can kind of see Lethbridge in these pics and here are the highlights.

The Hitmen numbers still suck.

IbjBaeE.png

As announced a couple days ago, the Charlotte Checkers are getting a new logo:

This image can be seen for a split second during the video:

ExXcVIuWgAIy94F?format=jpg&name=900x900

If that's a sneak peek of the logo, the Checkers would be the first team to use the Charlotte crown in their logo. I saw red in the video, meaning a color switch is (sadly) unlikely. I'd love to see a return to the blue and orange of the original Checkers, but I'm very excited to see what the team has in store.

the user formerly known as cdclt

6 hours ago, QCS said:

As announced a couple days ago, the Charlotte Checkers are getting a new logo:

This image can be seen for a split second during the video:

If that's a sneak peek of the logo, the Checkers would be the first team to use the Charlotte crown in their logo. I saw red in the video, meaning a color switch is (sadly) unlikely. I'd love to see a return to the blue and orange of the original Checkers, but I'm very excited to see what the team has in store.

@QCS I see this is your hometown team so you may have more of a pulse on this than I.  Are we looking at a name change too?  I'm not a huge fan of Checkers as a team name. 

40 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

@QCS I see this is your hometown team so you may have more of a pulse on this than I.  Are we looking at a name change too?  I'm not a huge fan of Checkers as a team name. 

Absolutely not. The Checkers name has been the name for Charlotte hockey since 1960, when the Charlotte Clippers were renamed (the former Baltimore Clippers whose arena burned down. They moved temporarily to Charlotte then moved full-time the next year. They were the first hockey team based on the Southeast). The name came from a name-the-team contest and references both checking in hockey as well as the checkered flag of auto racing.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Slightly off topic, but It still astounds me that the Charlotte/Carolina affiliation did not work out, given the proximity between the two clubs.

From what I've heard (all rumors, nothing concrete) it seems as though Dundon pissed off the Checkers. I'm sad to see what was essentially our Calder Cup-winning team shipped off to the team we beat but whatever.

In other news, the Checkers posted this on Twitter:

From what I tell:

• Red and black is staying (booo)
  • The logo is a roundel with "Charlotte Checkers" outside
  • The Charlotte crown is right in the middle

I'm excited to see what we'll get. Sad the team isn't moving on from red, but I suppose it is our most successful look.

4 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

I hope they dont get rid of Chubby entirely. Id like to see him live on at least in a secondary logo

We've had Chubby since the team was reincarnated in the '90s, no way he goes away entirely. Maybe he's not in the logo, but I'm sure the mascot will remain.

Interesting move to make the logo of the Checkers an actual checker. Hopefully they put the work into it to make it more than just a basic roundel.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Interesting move to make the logo of the Checkers an actual checker. Hopefully they put the work into it to make it more than just a basic roundel.

Holy crap, you're right. Keeping the red and black makes sense now.

77147798-red-and-black-checkers-game-pie

Also, that explains the "ridges" in this logo peek.

• Like 4
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17