AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

I don't hate the Bridgeport Islanders' identity, but I do agree that it's a downgrade. It would've been suitable if the team had moved to an actual island, but since they're still in Connecticut, it's just unnecessary.

Is it clean and polished? Sure. Is it bad? Not really. Is it good? Also not really.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

It would've been suitable if the team had moved to an actual island, but since they're still in Connecticut, it's just unnecessary.

I mean its no different than when the Lakers moved from Minneapolis to Los Angeles or the Jazz moving from New Orleans to Utah

Signature intentionally left blank

23 hours ago, Dynasty said:

As much backlash from a certain franchise they would get, I think Sounders would've been great.

Yeah, that should have been the name from day one. I never got "Sound Tigers." Maybe it's a submarine? Connecticut is stealthily a big military-industrial complex state. But they never had submarine imagery. I don't know. 

This logo is absolutely terrible. Looks like a bad WHL logo from the '90s. Unacceptable, among the AHL's worst, which is a growing tier.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

This logo is absolutely terrible. Looks like a bad WHL logo from the '90s. Unacceptable, among the AHL's worst, which is a growing tier.

AHL logos are either incredible works of art (Milwaukee, Hershey, Charlotte), or flaming pieces of garbage (Grand Rapids, Bridgeport, Tucson). There really is no middle ground.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

15 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I mean its no different than when the Lakers moved from Minneapolis to Los Angeles or the Jazz moving from New Orleans to Utah

Sports branding has come a long way in the last half-century. I know at least in the case of the Jazz (could've been the case for the Lakers too), they kept the name because by the time the team moved it was too late to change the uniforms. Rather than play as the Jazz for a year or two before rebranding, they just stuck with the name.

An affiliate named after the big league club isn't new, but I prefer when minor league towns have their own unique names like Hershey or Chicago. Otherwise you end up in a situation like Binghamton, where they've been called the Whalers, Rangers, Senators, and Devils. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, that should have been the name from day one. I never got "Sound Tigers." Maybe it's a submarine? Connecticut is stealthily a big military-industrial complex state. But they never had submarine imagery. I don't know. 

I think it was as simple as "Tigers" like the animal and then "Sound" was added, because Bridgeport is on Long Island Sound, as descriptor of what kind of tiger it is. Like "Oil Kings" or "Wheat Kings" (or "River Kings" or "LumberKings" or "Red Raiders" or "Sun Devils" or "Blue Devils" or "Blue Jackets" or "Swamp Dragons" and so on), Edmonton and Brandon are both the Kings, when you break it down, but their domains are different. Edmonton are the Kings of Oil, Brandon are the Kings of Wheat and Bridgeport were the Tigers of (from?) the Sound.

Though, for the little I ever thought about the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the past, I never used to be entirely sure if it was the Bridgeport Sound Tigers or if it was the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, especially since there's the Owen Sound Attack in the OHL.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

On 5/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, See Red said:

Bridgeport, CT is located on the Long Island Sound, so that's where Sound came from in the name.

The new identity is awful -- I didn't particularly like the old name or logo (although I have a uniform from when they were blue/yellow/black in my closet) but at least it had character.

Sound Tiger is a solid 80's band name. 

This re-brand is tedious, however. 

• Like 2

Utica has updated their logo to reflect the affiliation with New Jersey. Glad they get to keep their name & won't become the Utica Devils. NJ taking over Albany and ditching the River Rats brand was a big mistake.

spacer.png

Much like Vancouver, I'm assuming the Comets will just mirror the Devils' uniform template.

• Like 2

That's great that Utica is keeping the Comets name. The Comets are to Utica like what the Americans are to Rochester. Great fan support through and through.

The recoloured logo looks great. Going to miss their beautiful alternate green uniforms though.

The ECHL has a new team, the Iowa Heartlanders: 

The primary logo is of a white-tailed deer, poised for battle in expression, stance, and thorny detailing, to capture the essence of our strength, determination, and work ethic.

The antlered crown, adorned in sunrise gold, shows that we are the mighty kings of the Heartland.

spacer.png

Our state flower, the wild prairie rose, featuring heart-shaped, coral pink petals and shining sun, symbolizes the magnificent riches and traditions of our home, and the wild spirit of our fans.

The flower blooms every June, perfectly timed with the Kelly Cup.

spacer.png

The Heartland is our home, and we are its people. The name evokes what we are all about, redefining what it means to lead with heart in the rink and community.

spacer.png

• Like 6

spacer.png