Jump to content

AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes


Dante_X
 Share

Recommended Posts

spacer.png

You can put the new NAHL Kansas City Scouts in the unused bin. The team was sold to new owners who are moving them to Amarillo to replace the recently departed Amarillo Bulls. The new Amarillo team will take up a name of Amarillo hockey past, the Amarillo Wranglers. The Scouts were to begin play in 2020-21 but sat out due to the pandemic. In March of this year the team received permission to be inactive for 2021-22 for the same logistics and pandemic reasons. The reborn Scouts lasted shorter than the NHL Scouts of two seasons while the NAHL Scouts lasted for one season, without even playing a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The VIJHL (Junior B level) announced 2 new teams in the past couple of days. The Port Alberni Bombers and the Lake Cowichan Kraken.

 

tc-248741-web-portalberni-bombers-logo-0

The bomber is the old Martin Mars water bombers that were stationed in the Alberni Valley at Sprout Lake. They were sold a few years ago and are now somewhere else but they were a huge part of the Alberni Valley as well as Vancouver Island during forest fire season. If you have ever seen those things in action, you were very lucky. They were huge and as a kid when I saw them once up close, I was in awe.

 

tc-246297-web-lake-cowichan-kraken-logo-

 

The other team is the Lake Cowichan Kraken and yes they took a lot of similarities from the Seattle team. They based the name off of a local legend about Stin'Qua who is like Ogopogo and lives in Lake Cowichan. (Although as a kid who went to Lake Cowichan every summer, I never heard about this lake monster).

 

And I'm not sure if this was mentioned already but I'll put this here anyways. The Saanich Braves changed their name last season to the Saanich Predators. They changed the name because of the movement to drop Indigenous peoples as names and logos.

 

SP-300x284.png

EwFhDnJU8AISH_4.jpg

126457541_3229028367219818_2559133860331

EnT_KTRVoAEU65e.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

tc-246297-web-lake-cowichan-kraken-logo-

 

The other team is the Lake Cowichan Kraken and yes they took a lot of similarities from the Seattle team.

A lot?!? They just took off the curve of the S, added a couple things to make it they're own, and called it a day! It looks bad, especially since the Seattle Kraken haven't even played yet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

A lot?!? They just took off the curve of the S, added a couple things to make it they're own, and called it a day! It looks bad, especially since the Seattle Kraken haven't even played yet!

Brace yourselves...Seattle was the first, but MANY teams in the coming years are going to want to hop on the gravy train and call themselves the Kraken (just as nobody was called the Wild before Minnesota announced it as their name, but afterwards it's become quite a common minor-league name).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Burmy said:

Brace yourselves...Seattle was the first, but MANY teams in the coming years are going to want to hop on the gravy train and call themselves the Kraken (just as nobody was called the Wild before Minnesota announced it as their name, but afterwards it's become quite a common minor-league name).

Ugh I know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Cleveland Monsters are celebrating their anniversary of winning the Calder Cup in 2016 with a logo

 

 

Wouldn't be surprised (off topic) if the Cavs do something like this for their championship.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neepawa Natives changed their name to the Neepawa Titans and along came new logos and jerseys. MJHL team (Manitoba Jr. A) changed because of the controversy surrounding Indigenous team names.spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, graydon said:

Neepawa Natives changed their name to the Neepawa Titans and along came new logos and jerseys. MJHL team (Manitoba Jr. A) changed because of the controversy surrounding Indigenous team names.spacer.png

And thankfully took their bastardization of the Blackhawks logo with them.

images_Screen_Shot_2018-07-14_at_5.33.27

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This kind of ties in to the post above, but I was looking at my local WHL team Portland Winter Hawks team store yesterday and I would say the bulk of their classic logo items are on clearance. Authentic jerseys of both home and away are on sale as are replicas and nearly anything with their classic logo on it.  They've been using a roundel with the letter P in a lot of ads for the the last few years. There was some speculation when they unveiled a new third jersey in Feb of 2020 that the change was coming. Adidas created a whole new set of logos to go with it (link below). They were supposed to wear the jersey in March of 2020 but with all that's happened, I do not believe it ever saw the ice. For the abbreviated 2021 season, their center ice logo which has usually been the logo similar to the Blackhawks was replaced with one of the new alternate logos that is a rose bud with a P in it. I'd venture a guess we're going to see the new hawk logo replace the old one. I'm curious if they keep the Blackhawks sweaters and then still have the all black alternate uniform, or if that alternate is the basis for their new look and we get a white version to match. Nothing has been announced, but with new ownership taking over this year, I think its probably more like than not there is a new look in Portland.

 

https://winterhawks.com/article/winterhawks-and-adidas-announce-new-alternate-crest-and-third-jersey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, benpc21 said:

This kind of ties in to the post above, but I was looking at my local WHL team Portland Winter Hawks team store yesterday and I would say the bulk of their classic logo items are on clearance. Authentic jerseys of both home and away are on sale as are replicas and nearly anything with their classic logo on it.  They've been using a roundel with the letter P in a lot of ads for the the last few years. There was some speculation when they unveiled a new third jersey in Feb of 2020 that the change was coming. Adidas created a whole new set of logos to go with it (link below). They were supposed to wear the jersey in March of 2020 but with all that's happened, I do not believe it ever saw the ice. For the abbreviated 2021 season, their center ice logo which has usually been the logo similar to the Blackhawks was replaced with one of the new alternate logos that is a rose bud with a P in it. I'd venture a guess we're going to see the new hawk logo replace the old one. I'm curious if they keep the Blackhawks sweaters and then still have the all black alternate uniform, or if that alternate is the basis for their new look and we get a white version to match. Nothing has been announced, but with new ownership taking over this year, I think its probably more like than not there is a new look in Portland.

 

https://winterhawks.com/article/winterhawks-and-adidas-announce-new-alternate-crest-and-third-jersey

I think it is long overdue that Portland did something to distance themselves from the

 Blackhawks, at least from a visual perspective 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.