Jump to content

AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes


Dante_X
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, -kj said:

Except that the best Sens jerseys to date were the laurel alts and the gold stripes were terrific.

 

That's the second best. This was the best:

 

cropped_2017-03-03T022344Z_1814941543_NOCID_RTRMADP_3_NHL-COLORADO-AVALANCHE-AT-OTTAWA-SENATORS.jpg?ts=1488900744

 

Reject Romanity, return to barberpole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, QCS said:

s-l640.jpg

 

With the exception of the crest, this is the best jersey the Senators will ever wear.

Have that 2D logo from the previous set and it would be a solid 'A' grade jersey. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DEAD! said:

Have that 2D logo from the previous set and it would be a solid 'A' grade jersey. 

 

Not even. Throw the effectively unused alternate logo on there and it's one of the best jerseys in league history.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DTConcepts said:

 

Not even. Throw the effectively unused alternate logo on there and it's one of the best jerseys in league history.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

Yes, that is the one I am thinking of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The old Winterhawks identity never sat right with me. I didn't like that they used a rudimentary version of the Indian Head, just as I don't like it when the actual Blackhawks use another rudimentary version of the Indian Head. I thought that that sort of hand-me-down approach to minor-league hockey teams, like how there used to be 30some teams across the continent that were just the Boston Bruins, should have been gone for good by the mid-1990s. 

 

So while I'm glad to see the poor man's Indian Head go, I can't get too excited about this. It's just a bird head. There are lots of bird heads. Despite the claims that it has REFERNCES that make it inimitably Portland, at first glance it could be for any bird team anywhere. Don't the Tri-Cities Americans on the other side of Washington also use a bird head? I've spoken out against minor-league whimsy in the past, but I think Portland could have gotten away with it. I'm envisioning kind of a Skating Penguin 1.0 concept here: a hawk wearing a scarf and a stocking cap because it's winter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 9:47 AM, nash61 said:

This would be a good starting place, for Abbotsford or Vancouver

zhk34nas0rdz.jpg.bb898a1122923007454926f

 

9 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Here is the jersey:

 

TeamJersey_590x.png?v=1626280696

 

 

Oh hey...

On the topic of Portland, which do you guys like better, the previous alternate hawk, or the new one?

 

Im7hLoG.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of the new Winterhawks logo, but I don't like the metallic gold in the beak. Should have been flat.

 

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Don't the Tri-Cities Americans on the other side of Washington also use a bird head?

 

Yes, Tri-City (non-plural) does. It came in as the primary in 2003 and was relegated to secondary in 2008.

mqxfrvke0bhwgghgoxepcahbj.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

On the topic of Portland, which do you guys like better, the previous alternate hawk, or the new one?

Im7hLoG.png

I prefer the new one definitely. I like how it incorporates Mount Hood into the design along with a cleverly-hidden WH, and I like the more defined beak on the new hawk in comparison to the previous alternate. The old one kinda looked like a hawk-shaped blob more than anything, and the new logo fixes that.

 

About the only thing I'd change is making the beak solid gold instead of a gradient, but it's a solid logo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, QCS said:

s-l640.jpg

 

With the exception of the crest, this is the best jersey the Senators will ever wear.

 

15 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

 

Not even. Throw the effectively unused alternate logo on there and it's one of the best jerseys in league history.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

 

I have not heard anyone in the fanbase pushing for either of these things. Prior to the recent rebrand, most people were adamantly against the updated 2D logo, and the black laurel striped jerseys are probably the 2nd least popular ones that the team has ever worn (after the SENS alternate).

 

Vegas already uses metallic gold striping with a sublimated floral pattern. Leave it to them.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

spacer.png

While a solid logo, this has always struck me as being a depiction of a cyborg hawk from the distant future that was sent back to 21st-century Portland in order to prevent the erasure of major junior hockey in said city from our timeline.

"I'll be BEAK."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, nash61 said:

 

Oh hey...

On the topic of Portland, which do you guys like better, the previous alternate hawk, or the new one?

 

Im7hLoG.png

While I like the mountains in the new one, the older alt hawk is more aggressive and I like the use of the feather pattern in that one better.  Both are pretty nice. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

While I like the mountains in the new one, the older alt hawk is more aggressive and I like the use of the feather pattern in that one better.  Both are pretty nice. 

Eh, aggressivity is such an overrated factor in sports logo design. You look at pretty much all of the most iconic sports logos and you don't really see very many with a focus on it; the Leafs, Bruins, Habs, Rangers, Wings, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Warriors, Lakers, Celtics, Patriots, Giants, Packers...all utterly iconic sports logos, none feature aggressive elements.

 

I never liked how the old hawk lacked a lower beak; made it feel incomplete. Plus, the new logo incorporating Mt. Hood into the design is a nice bit of local tie in comparison to it just being another "angry bird head" logo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Milwaukee Admirals unveiling a new third jersey tonight.  Rumor is the logo will be all-new as well. 

 


this is the old one - it’s actually a carryover from the previous set, was popular enough to survive a rebranding. 
 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Eh, aggressivity is such an overrated factor in sports logo design. You look at pretty much all of the most iconic sports logos and you don't really see very many with a focus on it; the Leafs, Bruins, Habs, Rangers, Wings, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Warriors, Lakers, Celtics, Patriots, Giants, Packers...all utterly iconic sports logos, none feature aggressive elements.

 

I never liked how the old hawk lacked a lower beak; made it feel incomplete. Plus, the new logo incorporating Mt. Hood into the design is a nice bit of local tie in comparison to it just being another "angry bird head" logo.

 

Funny you should mention that, because when a hawk is resting, it’s beak is closed and you don’t see the lower one:


2018-Hawk-Red-Tailed-Nicodemus-by-Heidi-
 

It’s only when a hawk is acting aggressive that it opens its mouth enough to the point where you can see the lower beak. 

red-tailed_hawk-screaming-3438.jpg?m=144

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.