AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

11 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

It just looks so corporate and soulless. Same as every logo designed in the last decade. Broad, thick lines, heavily computerized, full of meaningless Nike Speak. No distinct personality, it looks like every new logo is designed by the same few people in the same design firm

Who cares about how logos look on twitter.  I don't see anyone calling for a redesign of the Blackhawks and Red Wings logos because they look bad in tiny thumbnail versions. I know you and I have had this same exact argument before but a hockey jersey logo is 12"x12", it looks GOOD when there's lots and lots of details

Worst case Ontario, why can't they just come up with simplified logos specifically and exclusively for ant-sized applications? Why do they have to touch the main logo on the jersey?

Worst Case Ontario. New band name, I call it!

jNTsTyQ.png

19 hours ago, Dante_X said:

New Chicoutimi Saguenéens logo

286230839_5118498511519430_2653034369633

%C3%A9volution-des-logos.png

I think it's alright. Definitely an improvement over the old one which had way too much writing on it. I do think it looks weird that the S-river overlaps the rest of the logo, probably would look better if it was contained within the inner blue circle similar to the 73-79 logo. I also don't really think I like the amount of grey.

I remember reading somewhere, but I can't find it now, is the Sags logo supposed to be a blueberry?

IbjBaeE.png

12 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Having too many details in the logo turns it into a cluttered mess. I get why taking away details would make the design overall flat (or 'soulless', as you put it), but I can tell you the reason why some people favour simplicity over over-detailing; it's easy on the eyes without getting too overbearing. Though, I'm sure there are people who do agree that the new logo didn't have the same spirit as previous one.

And before you said anything about Blackhawks and Red Wings logo, yes they have details. Yes, they are beautifully designed. And yes, no one would call for a full redesign on their main logos because of how iconic they are. But, if you think that more details = good, by that logic (using the Blackhawks logo as an example), its hair would show strands of hair and the feathers would be more quilt-like. And it's already been detailed enough. We wouldn't want it to go overboard, would we?

There's another aspect of all this to consider--and those who've worked in sports design for a good while can attest to this: scalability, and I'm not talking about just the size. Bear in mind that a jersey (or helmet, if we're talking football) is not the only place a logo will appear...it's also going on t-shirts, stance socks, caps, pencils, mugs, rugs, floor mats, seat covers, bags, purses, jackets, fan flags--and that's before we get to all the digital applications (social media, websites, etc). All of those need to be taken into consideration when producing a mark. It's also a good idea to have some clue of the production process of all those different media, because a logo may look great on a screen or screenprinted onto a t-shirt...but try stitching it onto a cap or on a floormat and you may get a less than desirable result. There's far more examples, but those are just a few.

All that said, the time-tested adage still holds true: the simpler, the better. But simple doesn't necessarily have to mean soulless, and therein lies the challenge most every designer worth his or her skin in the game is presented with. Different mascots/names aid or hinder that...but that just underscores the need for a skilled design team that understands all these little nuances enough to produce something that looks great and yet scales across a wide breadth of media.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

10 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I think it's alright. Definitely an improvement over the old one which had way too much writing on it. I do think it looks weird that the S-river overlaps the rest of the logo, probably would look better if it was contained within the inner blue circle similar to the 73-79 logo. I also don't really think I like the amount of grey.

I remember reading somewhere, but I can't find it now, is the Sags logo supposed to be a blueberry?

Yes it is a blueberry as the area is known for their wild blueberries

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 9:04 PM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

It does miss one thing though: the team name itself.

The team's name is just "people from the Saguenay."  It's a modified Philadelphia Phillies situation, except that municipal reorganization in Quebec changed Saguenay to Chicoutimi or something. (EDIT: other way around, Chicoutimi was what amalgamated, so their place name is vestigial.)

I think it's kind of a modern version of an abstract LHJMQ logo. I like it. 

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

40 minutes ago, Dante_X said:

Gatineau Olympiques 50 seasons logo

spacer.png

A bit strange having the flames from the torch overlap with the border of the shield, but not go past the shape. The 6 stars representing the 6 QMJHL titles, plus the bigger star for the Memorial Cup championship is a nice touch though.

32 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

A bit strange having the flames from the torch overlap with the border of the shield, but not go past the shape. The 6 stars representing the 6 QMJHL titles, plus the bigger star for the Memorial Cup championship is a nice touch though.

But they have 7 QMJHL championships so I don't know what is going on with the stars

On 6/29/2022 at 12:40 PM, Dante_X said:

Gatineau Olympiques 50 seasons logo

spacer.png

On 6/29/2022 at 1:24 PM, spartacat_12 said:

My first thought was it looks like a really hot takeout container.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, nuordr said:

The Rockford IceHogs, the AHL affiliate of the Blackhawks, unveiled a new logo.spacer.png

Look at the C and G. Someone got paid to use Arial instead of Helvetica. At least because it's Rockford, they didn't get paid much.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, nuordr said:

The Rockford IceHogs, the AHL affiliate of the Blackhawks, unveiled a new logo.spacer.png

Strange, I thought their rebrand would be a name change to the Rockford Blackhawks.

bYhYmxh.png