AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

7 hours ago, philcar1994 said:

From what I've read the owners have sunk their own ship. Trading away players, raising prices within their organization, dropping attendance due to this. I'm sure the team will do better in Winnipeg. They'll be playing out of U of M's hockey arena until a new arena for them is built

U of M's hcokey arena is far from suitable to be a temporary WHL facility.  Maybe as an emergency arena for a game.  Not as the home arena for a season or two.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Not a fan of three teams in Winnipeg nor a Dub team as far east as Winnipeg is. Isn't the arena in Abbotsford open? Is there an arena in southern Oregon?

I'm not really a fan of the Moose being there, either, though I understand that it's not an easy place to send guys up to and down from. Thunder Bay ior Saskatoon would be a headache for everyone, and the traditional AHL circuit isn't any easier.

Outside of the Jr. A Blues (and that's because they play in the Manitoba league), Winnipeg is in a tough location for anything other than professional sports, especially dealing with other Canadian teams. It's a rough trip to have to make in the bus leagues.

The Dub already accounts for this a bit by having most of the 68 games played in division, then four against the other division in the conference and then only playing the other conference teams once, either all at home or all on the road depending on the division (as far as I know, that alternates home or away each year). 

For example, the Hitmen this year;

In Division - 34 games

Edmonton - 8

Red Deer - 8

Medicine Hat - 6

Lethbridge - 6

Kootenay - 6

East Division (the other division in the conference) - 24 games 

Two home and two away with each of the six teams

BC Division (other conference) - 5 games

The Hitmen and the rest of the Central Division teams played all these games at home

The East Division teams played these games on the road

US Division (also other conference) - 5 games

The Hitmen and the rest of the Central Division teams played all these games on the road

The East Division teams played these games on at home

IEI5Tg1.png

Nanaimo was dead a long time ago after their referendum to replace Frank Crane Arena got shot down. Until they can get an arena that is completely privately financed, They won't be getting a WHL team... Which sucks because I would love to see the old Nanaimo Islanders return using the Gorton's Fishsticks logo

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, A_J_H said:

I wouldn't be surprised that the Ice would wear the same jersey design as the Jets, and Moose in the next two years or sooner.

I don't see why they would because they aren't going to have any connection with the Jets.

11 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

who greenlit that W, g'ddamn

I know they're going for the stencil look, for some reason, but that can't be how the W is supposed to look.

IEI5Tg1.png

17 hours ago, philcar1994 said:

Team has been announced as the Winnipeg ICE as per website with an updated logo

WHL returns to Winnipeg, ICE part of larger commitment to hockey development in city

19-01-30_ICE-1024x576.jpg

A little disappointed that they kept the same brand. They could have started fresh with a new name, logo and jersey. Maybe timing was an issue and couldn't get it done in time for next season? Either way, Falcons could have worked or maybe use one of the names the Jets didn't use when they moved from Atlanta... Or maybe go with Winnipeg Thrashers (think there is a midget team already with that name) just as a running joke. 

On 1/30/2019 at 7:07 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

Wasn't there plans to have the Jets AHL team play in Thunder Bay or has that plan fallen through?

That was based on a new arena getting built, which obviously hasn't happened yet.  I have no idea what exactly is going on with that, but I do think that if it ever does get built, the Manitoba Moose would end up moving.

7 hours ago, A_J_H said:

I wouldn't be surprised that the Ice would wear the same jersey design as the Jets, and Moose in the next two years or sooner.

No, that's not happening.  Current owners (same ones who are now moving the team) just unveiled this logo and uniform in 2017.  They are keeping the name Ice, they will be keeping these uniforms for some time.

Tonight is the first of the three Hitmen games at the Corral with them wearing the Centennials jerseys tonight. The Cowboys jerseys will be worn on the 6th and then the Wranglers on the 8th.

Here are the three jerseys on players and I'm disappointed but not surprised they are just using the regular black equipment for the games. It's weird, they look sublimated here, but I am pretty sure the jerseys they are selling to the public are stitched. These jerseys look worse than what can be bought.

Al-Photo-445.jpg&w=840&h=630

Also just in googling, I can't find any evidence of those Hitmen Wranglers jerseys existing. Here's a program of their 10th and final year and it looks like the Hitmen might have tried to combine the last two jerseys? Or they just screwed up because the Cowboys and Centennials jerseys are straight throwbacks.

program_img.php?if=calgary_wranglers-198

And this is the ice with the Centennials, Cowboys and Wranglers logos are in the centre ice line. The Hitmen logo is also tilted the wrong way, but it always has been whenever they put the logo at centre, be it at the Saddledome or the couple playoff games at the Corral (due to the Dome being double booked for the Junos) a few years ago.

DyMYutPV4AADA4R.jpg

• Like 1

IEI5Tg1.png

58 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Man are the Moose Jaw jerseys terrible.

10-6-730x547.jpg

5-1-730x547.jpg

Totally agree.  I used to love the Moose Jaw Warriors look in the early 1990s.  These uniforms with the team nickname diagonally on the front were great.  In fact, many WHL uniforms in the late 1980s and early 1990s were better than they are now.

59496-156Bk.jpg                      1990-91-7th-Inning-Sketch-WHL-153-Scott-