ESPN Olympic Highlights?

DaytonBlue

Does anyone know why ESPN only shows pictures of Olympic highlights? I thought I heard something about some boycott, but couldn't find any specific information.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

That's a bit odd because usually all the sports and networks make agreements to exchange highlights. And I've never remembered seeing only pictures on SportsCenter in previous Olympics. Thanks for the insight.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

They can only shoe pictures because NBC doesn't give them the right to air the video because NBC tape delay's the events and doesn't air them live, thus they don;t want the footage shown before it's originall aired. They same thing happens for pay per view fights, HBO doesn't give the rights becuase they want people ti pay for the fight.

Here's a question why doesn't ESPN get the rights from CBC. If i'm correct CBC airs the games live, and the footage is the same as far as the graphics go it just doesn't have the announcers, which aren't needed for highlights.

NBC is being a bunch of greedy jerks after it airs on NBC anyone should be allowed to show highlights.

Well, I wouldn't call them greety since they are the ones paying over 100 million for the games. I would bet NBC may lose money on the games do to the fact that they don't get the ratings they once used to. The ratings used to be around a 50 (About Super Bowl level) now they are down to a 25, which is still great ratings, I don't know if it's woth the money.

There are only a few events NBC will show live. Aside from the logistics of a 6-7+ hour time difference in the East Coast, when NBC is in normal prime time most of Athens is asleep, or at least the events are over. If you want to see something live, check out MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, USA, Telemundo, or hopefully you live close to Canada and can get the CBC feed (we get the French Canadian version in Boston). At least the graphics are in English, so you don't need to unuderstand French or Spanish to see what's going on. Most of these are broadcast during the day, and if anything is of interest (American teams pretty much), NBC will replay it during prime time.

Telemundo is showing a lot of soccer and boxing live. I think I saw some Equestrian stuff on CNBC earlier today.

The problems with NBC started in Barcelona (i'm Hannah Storm, and welcome to "Cloo Barcelona") and especially Atlanta. NBC thinks that only women care about the Olympics, so the showcase events are Swimming, Women's Gymnastics, Track & Field & Women's Soccer. In 2000 I think Softball got some coverage too, with Dot Richardson the headliner. Any other sports are pushed aside so these "marquee" sports get main coverage. Basketball's medal round will be broadcast live, possibly replayed in prime time.

But in Atlanta in 1996, some of these events were played in the afternoon. NBC fiercely protected any coverage of these so it seemed like they were shown live during prime time, when in fact they were tape delayed. Anyone with an internet connection or a satellite feed would have known the results before NBC showed it "live". But like I said before, they were really pushing the shows that would get high ratings for women viewers. So other secondary sports like Archery, Handball, Water Polo, Fencing, etc., would get 10 minute blurbs and nothing else. The Olympics were being held in the best location for American Prime Time, the Eastern Time Zone (Atlanta), and NBC couldn't even get it right.

NBC has ruined the "experience" of watching the Olympics for the sports you don't get to see often, just so some frumpy housewives have something to watch over the summer. All you get is some heartwarming story of the determination it took to get to Athens (can't wait until Allen Iverson' sob story is played), and a little bit of athletic competition.

Don't get me started on the figure skating festival, AKA the Winter Olympics.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

NBC showed events live! Saturday at 2:30am PT, they Jennie Finch :wub: and the softball team defeat Italy. :P

Although they need to show my hometown gal (as seen in my sig) live. The Bay Area wants to celebrate!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Anyways to answer the topic. Just a hypothetical guess...

ESPN or any media outlet including NBC affiliates (I've seen it here on KNTV-TV, an NBC O&O) don't show highlights. I assume that NBC and their touching stories inbetween competition have such exclusive highlights that they can't show highlights in the USA, even from another media outlet (i.e. CBC).

Also I would assume the always known disclaimer comes into play...

This broadcast is solely for our private, non-commercial use of our audience. (Non-commercial, HA! :D ) Any publication, duplication or other events and descriptions of the accounts of the Olympics without expressed written consent by NBC, Dick Ebersol, and the International Olympic Commitee is prohibited. :hockeysmiley:

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

That's a bit odd because usually all the sports and networks make agreements to exchange highlights.  And I've never remembered seeing only pictures on SportsCenter in previous Olympics.  Thanks for the insight.

It happened at the 2000 Olympics, I remeber Kenny Mayne doing a skit on sportscenter kidding about the tape delay and the pics for highlights.

NBC showed events live! Saturday at 2:30am PT, they Jennie Finch :wub: and the softball team defeat Italy. :P

Although they need to show my hometown gal (as seen in my sig) live. The Bay Area wants to celebrate!

And celebrate they can! Well done Ms Coughlin!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I got a question why is Bill Clement the expert analyst for table tennis. He does a horrible job on hockey and that's a sport he played professionally. Can't they find someone better.

Wow! Bill Clement on table tennis? :lol: Is he wondering why those players go 10 feet away from the table to make a shot?

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived