ESPN Olympic Highlights?

DaytonBlue

The IOC says networks that are not rightsholders (such as ESPN) must wait 24 hours after the event to show highlights. Just for the record, on the early (6 PM) SportsCenter®, they did show nightmare team lowlights Monday (8/16). Remember, "SportsCenter®" is a brand name, not an adjective.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

It's interesting because I think having highlights would actually make more people interested and perhaps watch more. It seems as though when ESPN is showing pictures only, it's in a pretty short timeframe, and thus people may forget that the olympics are even on.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I work at an ABC affiliate, and before the Games began, we got an instruction sheet (actually several pages) telling us what we could and couldn't use, and when.

Basically, no one except NBC can show any video until NBC concludes its daily coverage; i.e., after midnight. Since most stations (and ESPN's SportsCenter) air at 11 p.m. ET, this leaves us out of luck.

There are also clauses in the instruction such as no use of highlights more than 48 hours old, no use of sound from NBC interviews, limits on the length of highlights that can be shown, etc.

Basically, it is so restrictive that it isn't worth it to even try.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

The IOC says networks that are not rightsholders (such as ESPN) must wait 24 hours after the event to show highlights. Just for the record, on the early (6 PM) SportsCenter®, they did show nightmare team lowlights Monday (8/16). Remember, "SportsCenter®" is a brand name, not an adjective.

Just for the record, actually it would be NBC that says that! All channels in the UK who don't have rights are allowed to show portions in there news and sports news shows. The IOC may have agreed to sign a deal with NBC that makes that stipulation, but the IOC certainly doesn't insist on it.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived