Annoyed at "nice clean look" comments

Blue Falcon

I don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers here, but I seem to remember an argument/thread a while back debating the merits of NFL teams wearing all white. There were several comments about the all-white being great because it was a "nice clean look."

What I'd like to know is: what does a nice clean look have to do with playing football? The only person who should care how white the uniforms look is the equipment manager after they've come back from the laundromat. The uniforms should get dirty when playing on real grass anyway, and in my opinion the all whites just look worse in that situation. Plus, all-white is boring to me.

The NFL trend towards white pants for the "clean look" is also extremely annoying. In the last few years, the Seahawks, Falcons, and Eagles have all ditched silver pants for white ones. Going back further, the Chargers and Redskins ditched yellow pants for white. To my knowledge, only the Giants have gone in the opposite direction by going to gray pants.

So what do all y'all think?

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bears are going that way (it seems like they're wearing white more often than blue). Then again, the Chiefs brought back the red pants and I believe the Browns are using orange pants from time to time now. Miami is also wearing aqua pants a lot. I could go on, but I don't feel like it.... Anyway, it seems like there isn't really a trend of teams going all-white, but there's a balance.

I disagree... for instance, I can't picture the Broncos looking good in anything other than white pants with their white jerseys. I think the Vikings and Colts look good in all white as well.

I will tell you one benefit to using all white... Your players look larger then they are. Dark colors make objects look smaller then they are, color 101.

--> I still cannot figure out why the Browns would want to use any other color then brown for their jerseys or pants... In fact, if I owned the Browns I would ditch most of the orange for white and brown. Think about trying to find the football in an all that brown... It would be like a Randy Johnson wearing home whites, with a white sleeves on the mound.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

There are some teams that pull it off well, and some that don't.

And, much to the chagrin of many here, I still insist that a few teams can get away with the all-dark look, such as the Broncos and last year's Bengals. There are, however, quite a few that have tried it and failed miserably.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

There are too many teams with the all white, but yes some do look good in it. However some look awful too.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Penn State is the only team that really can pull off the all-white look because their unis are plain anyway.  There's no reason for any other football team to and when they try it looks hideous.

So just because Penn State does nobody else can? Oregon look pretty decent last year. Anything would look good with their helmets though!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Penn State is the only team that really can pull off the all-white look because their unis are plain anyway.  There's no reason for any other football team to and when they try it looks hideous.

So just because Penn State does nobody else can?

No.... he said Penn State's unis are plain, so the plain white look works best for them... he didn't say the others can't do it, he said their uniforms aren't as plain so it doesn't work out well.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Penn State is the only team that really can pull off the all-white look because their unis are plain anyway. There's no reason for any other football team to and when they try it looks hideous.

No.... he said Penn State's unis are plain, so the plain white look works best for them... he didn't say the others can't do it, he said their uniforms aren't as plain so it doesn't work out well.

I asked that question in reference to his "There's no reason for any other football team to and when they try it looks hideous" comment. But thanks for answering the question for him Chris.

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I asked that question in reference to his "There's no reason for any other football team to and when they try it looks hideous" comment. But thanks for answering the question for him Chris.

I didn't answer for him, I cleared it up for you since you seemed to miss it

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

My take on all-white is that it almost always works with a white helmet and a fairly plain uniform (Penn State, Colts) and it can work with a dark helmet and a uniform that incorporates large sections of dark colors on the white (Broncos, Seahawks, Vikings). It does not, however, work at all with light colored helmets. The Panthers in all-white look just awful, as do Cleveland and Tampa Bay when they wear all-white.

I don't mind it when an NFL team wears their white jersey with their white pants as long as the striping matches.

What I hate is the freaking Texas Longhorns and their fruity "nothing but white" ballet uniforms. When I think of football, I think of rugged toughness with mud, blood, seat and tears. Not freaking "Twinkle-toes and his purity dance troupe".

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I was switching around my original post before I posted it and since I was in a rush I guess I left out a rather key phrase in my original statement... it should have said:

"There's no reason for any football team with complex designs to and when they try it looks hideous."

Like others mentioned, it works for the Colts and other teams with simple, traditional logos/uni sets.

Oh, and thanks Chris for clearing things up.

I would argue that no football team looks better in all-white than in a white jersey/colored pant combo. The all-white look looks as if the team is too cheap to purchase a second pair of pants for the players, whose uniforms thus appear to have been purchased out of the Sears catalog anyway. (And as for the Broncos, with their white-with-orange-swoosh home pants and white-with-blue-swoosh road pants, I don't know what they were thinking.) I would agree that all-white does make players look bigger, so if you'd like your players to look like the Sta-Puf Marshmallow Man or the Michelin man, go for it. And I'm not a particular fan of the monocolor look either (in the Cardinals' finale last year, the players looked like giant blood clots on the field), except possibly for special occasions, like college Homecoming games (since many schools had a one-color look years ago).

Packers-2.png

I guess I don't understand the entire topic of this thread. Has there been a rush of teams switching from colored TO white pants? You mentioned Seattle and Philly.....fair point. But I can think of no others. Plus NYG added grey and Tampa switched to Pewter.

There has been a groundswell of introducing colored pants.....mainly very dark ones, which in my thinking has never been associated with the NFL or professional level football. It looks far too high school for my tastes.

I don't at all get the hate on white unis. KC looks sharp. Minny looks sharp (or sharp as they ever look).

I am behind gold pants (any variety Niners, Saints, Packers), grey pants, silver pants, or white pants and Miami's aqua look ok too.....with white tops.

Provided its not monochrome, I can deal with Phillys green ones, and some instances of other dark colors. but teams just strive to mess it up. If you wear dark pants you can't wear dark socks too.....hear me Jags? Saints?

With almost every team unveiling too sets of bottoms and having at least one night in monochrome.......I just didnt think all white was an issue sweeping the NFL.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

(And as for the Broncos, with their white-with-orange-swoosh home pants and white-with-blue-swoosh road pants, I don't know what they were thinking.)

I still maintain that the Broncos wouldn't look any better on the road with any other color pants.

I didn't answer for him, I cleared it up for you since you seemed to miss it

Nope, I didn't miss a thing.

Retired Number's To Come

I will tell you one benefit to using all white... Your players look larger then they are. Dark colors make objects look smaller then they are, color 101.

--> I still cannot figure out why the Browns would want to use any other color then brown for their jerseys or pants... In fact, if I owned the Browns I would ditch most of the orange for white and brown. Think about trying to find the football in an all that brown... It would be like a Randy Johnson wearing home whites, with a white sleeves on the mound.

Um, actually, the NFL prohibits teams from using helmets or jerseys or any other parts of the uniforms that are similar in color to the football unless it's broken up by stripes of some contrasting color.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived