New Brownie the Elf

andrewharrington

thanks. thats simplifys a lot.

anyway pittunited, ha funny. that statement does have merit, though. it is quite possibly the most silly and ridiculous identity ever, including logos and such. when youre from cleveland though, you learn to love it becasue it is UNIQUE.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

anyway pittunited, ha funny. that statement does have merit, though. it is quite possibly the most silly and ridiculous identity ever, including logos and such. when youre from cleveland though, you learn to love it becasue it is UNIQUE.

And when you're from Pittsburgh, you point and laugh at it because it's Cleveland. :P(Just messin' with you, dude.)

But I definitely know where you're coming from, about loving identities that other people would find extremely dumb. Two words: Skating Penguin.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

haha i just pictured that. maybe you can answer this question for me. why are all three of the major sports franchises in pittsburgh black and gold colored, i.e. steelers/pirates/penguins? is it like in the citys contract or something? i just always thought that was a wierd coincidence. i mean, even pitt is only a little stroll away at blue and gold.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Black and gold are the city colors, taken from the family colors of William Pitt, the Prime Minister of England at the time Fort Pitt was established.

The Pirates originally started in blue and red; they switched to black & gold in the '50s because, well, that's what the city colors were.

The NHL Pirates wore black & gold when they joined in 1925, but later switched to blue & orange before moving to Philadelphia and eventually folding.

The Steelers (who were originally called the Pirates--imagine that) have worn black and gold almost consistently since the beginning (they did switch up a little bit when they merged with the Eagles and Cardinals during WWII).

The Pens originally wore blue and white, but switched to black & gold around 1981--the Pirates and Steelers were winning championships at the time, and the Pens hoped the switch in colors would allow a little of the luck the other teams were having to rub off on them.

Now, it's basically become tradition for pro teams starting in Pittsburgh to wear black & gold because, well, everyone else does it, and it's recognizable as Pittsburgh.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Archived