NHL Refresh Series - "Desecrating" the NHL

OhioSportsMan61

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ldconcepts said:

Dallas is outstanding.

The only real problem I have with any of your concepts is the collar treatment. As a general rule for my concepts, I never use the half-collar or a white collar.

Thanks!

I think it’s all up to personal preference w/r/t the collar treatment. There are absolutely some cases where the toilet bowl/half collar actually does look good (at least in my opinion) and many times it doesn’t. 

Now the reason why I gave Calgary that particular collar treatment was to sort of mimick the collars on their red throwback. And for Dallas, it was more of just trial and error to see what looks good on each particular jersey to make the whole design more cohesive.   

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

Dallas concept:  I like the Texas logo use of the home and away jerseys, that logo fits the jerseys better than the D-star on its own (to many sharp points).  I don't mind the oblique angles on the waist stripes, but you should consider making both the waist and arm striping either two white stripes or two silver stripes to flank the black stripe; the use of the silver-black white progression here takes away from the jersey. 

Oddly enough, the same striping pattern works better on the black jersey. The liberal use of green also breaks up the black nicely. The Dallas block letters for a logo are not a great choice though; I'll take any non-text logo over a wordmark logo, even the Mooterus. If you realign the slope of the script to run parallel with the waste stripe, it might work better.

Aside from those minor critiques, great update!

On 8/28/2018 at 3:40 PM, OhioSportsMan61 said:

Thanks!

I think it’s all up to personal preference w/r/t the collar treatment. There are absolutely some cases where the toilet bowl/half collar actually does look good (at least in my opinion) and many times it doesn’t. 

Now the reason why I gave Calgary that particular collar treatment was to sort of mimick the collars on their red throwback. And for Dallas, it was more of just trial and error to see what looks good on each particular jersey to make the whole design more cohesive.   

I'm with Avi on this one. In my opinion on some jerseys when you go with the full collar coloured the one colour, it seems to throw off the balance. Based off how they actually look on the ice, I think the Blackhawks have way too much white, same with the Senators new collars. To each their own I guess haha

Thank you all for the feedback on Dallas! I think I'm going to leave it as-is. I actually tried messing around with the arm striping a bit to make it more pointy (like the hem striping), but it didn't look too natural.

On to the next team...

Pittsburgh Penguins

H05s5YI.png

I decided to go with the standalone penguin (from their Stadium Series unis) as the primary mark....sort of a new direction - or, ahem, desecration - for the team. Yellow replaces black as the team's primary color, too!

Also - I'm playing around with some new templates (gear-wise) and layouts, so C&C is appreciated on that as well. Let me know what you think!

2LYbxnm.png

I like the new layout and gear. Although I suppose if you have a front facing helmet view it should have the numbers on it. 

I like the pens. Although I'm inclined to say I feel like the yoke on the road should be gold / white / black. I know that would make it pretty much their robo penguin jersey but it would look better overall I feel and fit with them 'owning' gold.  

The design reminds me of the robo-penguin era jerseys... While yellow is definitely a change, the white and black sweaters definitely look like something that the Penguins have worn before... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 hours ago, B-mer said:

I like the new layout and gear. Although I suppose if you have a front facing helmet view it should have the numbers on it. 

I like the pens. Although I'm inclined to say I feel like the yoke on the road should be gold / white / black. I know that would make it pretty much their robo penguin jersey but it would look better overall I feel and fit with them 'owning' gold.  

Good catch on the helmet numbers, I'll go back and fix that with the remaining concepts I have to post...

14 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

The design reminds me of the robo-penguin era jerseys... While yellow is definitely a change, the white and black sweaters definitely look like something that the Penguins have worn before... 

The white and black uniforms are certainly similar to uniforms they've worn in the past, but there are distinct differences between the two. Mainly in the yoke design, the number/lettering coloration, choice of logos used, and the collar treatment.

THE RULES

1. The uniform must be brand new. The design may never have been worn previously by the franchise.

3. Elements may be taken from current or former uniforms, and may be mixed and matched, so long as a new uniform is created.

http://nhluniforms.com/Penguins/Penguins.html

2LYbxnm.png

I'll go ahead and post the next team now....we'll stay in the Metro division

Columbus Blue Jackets

(v.1)

46bPZVS.png

(v.2)

vY9bXQH.png

To be honest, I'm pretty split on which set I like more. I wanted to do something a little out of the ordinary for them, which is why incorporated the neon green as part of all three sets in both versions, along with resurrecting the Stinger patch (which I think pops really well with the set that uses red as the secondary color). The alternate is loosely based on the pre-2000s prototype jerseys that have been seen around.  In v.2, I think the light blue breezes are pretty unique and sets them apart from the rest of the league. But I'm not 100% sold on using the cannon roundel as the primary logo. Which do you prefer?

2LYbxnm.png

I like the v2 alternate better than the v1. 

I kid

love balance with the hem on the road on v1, but I feel like that balance is lost on the v2 road. If you swap the blues there it will work much better, especially with the light blue pants, and doing that would keep the hem consistent with the home. 

The cannon logo is tough. It fits the theme really well but I just don't care for it as much. Not sure recoloring the main logo is the right way to go either. I think there just needs to be something new. Or, if you really want to get crazy go with Stinger. That logo looks good on the color scheme because it has a good balance of the two blues. 

On 9/5/2018 at 8:48 PM, B-mer said:

I like the v2 alternate better than the v1. 

I kid

love balance with the hem on the road on v1, but I feel like that balance is lost on the v2 road. If you swap the blues there it will work much better, especially with the light blue pants, and doing that would keep the hem consistent with the home. 

The cannon logo is tough. It fits the theme really well but I just don't care for it as much. Not sure recoloring the main logo is the right way to go either. I think there just needs to be something new. Or, if you really want to get crazy go with Stinger. That logo looks good on the color scheme because it has a good balance of the two blues. 

I agree, the cannon logo is tough. It's really too bad that it's only good as a secondary. Would something like this be constituted as crazy?

h2bJf0q.png

I think removing the cannon roundel, making the chevron striping consistent and fixing the road's hem makes this a very nice set across the board. Thoughts?

2LYbxnm.png

Updates look good, but not sure on the hat logo.  I mean, the team boxed itself in with the name 'Blue Jackets'.  A logo of a coat doesn't really work either, but another article of clothing works even less.  I suppose the cannon might be the best option.  I'd still like to see Stinger on the front, as i think that might be more of a 'desecration'.  or maybe original CJB logo recoloring red to lighter blue?  Just spitballing.  Throw the hat logo on the helmet for obvious reasons.

Would you want to flip the sock stripes around on the road socks to match the hem and home socks?

The hat logo is fantastic! I think it works better than the cannon roundel in this situation. But I don't think that Stinger or the lime green chevrons fit with the main set. I think they fit well on the alternate, however. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived