NHL Refresh Series - "Desecrating" the NHL

OhioSportsMan61

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that makes a big difference!  I was on the fence of the first attempt but that one seals it for me.  great job.  only thing i can think of is maybe replacing the buffalo logo on the pants with the crossed swords by themselves one they've recently used.

I think I'll leave Buffalo as-is, so let's move on to the next team...

Washington Capitals

v.1

AGpRo6e.png

v.2

kygYBLf.png

These were very, very inspired by the Washington Wizards unis. I really think something like this could work well for the Caps and their brand. I started out with v.1 but felt that it was wayyyy too busy. So I simplified it a bit in v.2 but kept the general idea the same. C&C appreciated!

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

Agreed, v2 is better. I think I might like to see the blue and white flipped like he said too. At least for comparison sake but that might carry over some more consistency between home and road, plus white yoke on red jersey is kind of the Caps’ thing. 

On 9/29/2018 at 3:14 PM, ldconcepts said:

Definitely prefer V2, though I'd switch the yoke and stripe colours on the home jersey. Alt is perfect.

On 9/29/2018 at 9:33 PM, B-mer said:

Agreed, v2 is better. I think I might like to see the blue and white flipped like he said too. At least for comparison sake but that might carry over some more consistency between home and road, plus white yoke on red jersey is kind of the Caps’ thing. 

Here's a side-by-side comparison...

v.2a (navy yokes)

kygYBLf.png

v.2b (white yokes)

QQECIUN.png

Tbh I kind of like the first version better

2LYbxnm.png

• 2 weeks later...

And we're back! Sorry it's been so long between posts, been busy with things. On to the next team...

Winnipeg Jets

v.1

ZQVXaHh.png

v.2

OMQ8bOb.png

I really wanted to take inspiration from the Thrashers' uniforms and combine them with the Jets' identity. That, and also I wanted to incorporate a "white out" uniform since the Winnipeg White Out is a historic thing for Jets' hockey. I think v.1 is a bit gaudy, so v.2 is a more simple version. Which do you all prefer?

2LYbxnm.png

5 hours ago, JB Designs said:

I can't help but want you take  to the white out one step further and do white numbers and a white Winnipeg down the sleeves. EIther that or make the white in the chest logo grey that way all cresting matches

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Lose the contrasting nameplate, and could I sell you on grey breezers?

Great feedback. How does this look in comparison? I think it works better.

v.1b

yvqAVqv.png

v.2b

lxpUhHK.png

To be honest, I think I like v.2b more than the first version. Thoughts?

2LYbxnm.png

Now THAT is "desecrating" the Oilers. It would be a complete "desecration" if you used the 90's colors of the Oilers.

I suggest that you make the stripes on the home uniform white (as well as the stripes in the pants), while retaining the orange oil drops, to achieve color balance.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:14 AM, edjb93 said:

Now THAT is "desecrating" the Oilers. It would be a complete "desecration" if you used the 90's colors of the Oilers.

I suggest that you make the stripes on the home uniform white (as well as the stripes in the pants), while retaining the orange oil drops, to achieve color balance.

I get what you're saying, but changing the colors of the arm stripes on the home to white makes it stick out like a sore thumb. And changing the side stripe on the home to white wouldn't match the road or the pant design - my intention was similar to what @B-mer said, it's to evoke a similar look as a basketball/football uniform design.

On to the next...

New York Islanders

NIlCaAq.png

For the Islanders, I wanted to incorporate the fisherman style striping in some way while keeping their modernized brand (the NY logo, simplification, etc). 

2LYbxnm.png

Archived