Angels Rock Sweet California Throwback Unis

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering Los Angeles literally translates to "The Angels", the current name seems redundant to me.

I don't have a problem with them using California, as they were the state's first American League team, and Anaheim works too.

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They tried that, didn’t work. 

Uh, it didn't? Seemed fine to everyone here.

Only issue was the guy in charge didn't feel the same way.

---

On these uniforms, I love this era of throwback, however, I've never cared for that version of the A on the hat. I prefer the thick halo like here:

490.png

(Damn, I love that logo)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

4 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Uh, it didn't? Seemed fine to everyone here.

Only issue was the guy in charge didn't feel the same way.

No, it didn’t work.  Once the Angels tagged themselves as an Orange County-only team, their ad revenue failed to keep pace.  Even when they were better than the Dodgers.  Even when they won the World Series. That’s why the guy in charge didn’t like it. 

Who'd have guessed that cutting off over two-thirds of the metropolitan area would have had consequences?  :rolleyes:  

The Orange Curtain may not be as steeped in racism as it used to be, thanks to demographic changes that have chipped away at its white-enclave status.  But a lot of Angelinos remember the way it used to be, and “Anaheim” is as much a flare in the night sky to them as it is to old-school Orange Countians. 

A very few smaller communities have the cache to pull off their own sports team, to draw from the larger area while still representing the smaller.  But Anaheim isn’t among them, no matter how hard Disney tried. In the LA megaplex, I’d suggest Hollywood is the only one that qualifies.  

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No, it didn’t work.  Once the Angels tagged themselves as an Orange County-only team, their ad revenue failed to keep pace.  Even when they were better than the Dodgers.  Even when they won the World Series. That’s why the guy in charge didn’t like it. 

Who'd have guessed that cutting off over two-thirds of the metropolitan area would have had consequences?  :rolleyes:  

The Orange Curtain may not be as steeped in racism as it used to be, thanks to demographic changes that have chipped away at its white-enclave status.  But a lot of Angelinos remember the way it used to be, and “Anaheim” is as much a flare in the night sky to them as it is to old-school Orange Countians. 

A very few smaller communities have the cache to pull off their own sports team, to draw from the larger area while still representing the smaller.  But Anaheim isn’t among them, no matter how hard Disney tried. In the LA megaplex, I’d suggest Hollywood is the only one that qualifies.  

You have access to the books? You know what the Angels ad revenue is? Is having them as an ambiguous state-wide team any better or worse?

The ad revenue "failed to keep pace" after the name change because the initial Anaheim Angels teams were garbage. An absolute joke. When the Angels finally got back around to being good on the other side of the 90s, they won the World Series as the Anaheim Angels in 2002 to kick off an unprecedented run of on-field success. Off the field as the Anaheim Angels in 2003, they drew over 3 million fans for the first time in team history, and haven't gone under since. They drew 3,375,677 fans in 2004, their last season as the Anaheim Angels. 

I think all of this has less to do with what they were called and more to do with finally being a consistently competitive team. Outside of Division Titles in 1979, 1982, 1986, the history of the Angels can be labelled "really not that good." And the attendance numbers of the time reflect that.

The guy in charge wanted to make a true foray into Los Angeles and battle the Dodgers. The Angels' "problem" isn't that they weren't LA. It's that they weren't the Dodgers.

Despite changes to the name on the marquee, the Angels still draw from the areas they've always drawn. Orange County, Riverside County, and at best, they extend their range through Long Beach and the South Bay, although both are still heavy Dodger territory. They really don't make a dent into Los Angeles proper. (All that ditto for the Anaheim Ducks.) And that's fine. They fill their niche. It just happens that they finally decided to be good for a decent period of time, and its still SoCal. They love a winner. And it's not like Albert Pujols or Shohei Ohtani said, "oh, the Angels are calling? I can't wait to live in Malibu and play in Los Angeles!" They all know its Anaheim. I can't think of a SportsCenter Angels highlight that has ever started "Now we go out to Los Angeles..." They still say Anaheim.

And I've seen you continue to propagate the Orange Curtain/racism thing, but I think it's well enough time to drop that. And yes, I see you said "may not"/"as it used to be", but you're still bringing it up anyway.

19 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

And I've seen you continue to propagate the Orange Curtain/racism thing, but I think it's well enough time to drop that. And yes, I see you said "may not"/"as it used to be", but you're still bringing it up anyway.

That's because it still matters to people in LA.  Those things die hard - demographic changes may have made Orange County more diverse, but they can't magically wish away a shameful past.

15 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

I agree with what you said, but this part of it could use a little elaboration. The Orange Curtain developed to the extent that they did because of white flight. While the area’s demographics have changed markedly in the time since the 1960s, I can see where @Gothamite is coming from in his assumptions (as Orange County is still notable more conservative than most of Greater Los Angeles, to my knowledge). It’s a considerably separate urban/suburban culture with a high population number, so that’s part of why I support the Anaheim name.

Besides, the Ducks never had a problem with the “Anaheim” part of their name. Anybody who wants to rename them the “Los Angeles Ducks” rightfully gets lambasted by their fans.

The redundancy of "the Los Angeles Angels" is a feature, not a bug. It's old-timey, like "Philadelphia Phillies" or "Shelbyville Shelbyvillians."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

26 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Besides, the Ducks never had a problem with the “Anaheim” part of their name. 

True, but the demographics for fans of hockey continue to be markedly different than those for, say, baseball.

And let me be clear - I'm not condemning Orange County for its racist past or still-segregated present.  My own city's skirts are none too clean there.  I'm only saying that this remains a perception in parts of LA.

Speaking of hockey and Stars, that almost happened in the early '90s if not for the hustle Bruce McNall pulled on Michael Eisner. Would have had the Los Angeles Stars or Anaheim Stars playing out of Anaheim's then-new arena.

This is something I gotta know and I think a lot of people would love to know. Gothamite, you seem to know a lot about Orange County/Anaheim. Where exactly did you get your Doctorates Degree on the subject of Orange County and Anaheim? I'm curious as to what school teaches this subject.

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And let me be clear - I'm not condemning Orange County for its racist past or still-segregated present.  My own city's skirts are none too clean there.  I'm only saying that this remains a perception in parts of LA.

You're really putting too much emphasis on this.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:30 PM, DEAD! said:

What these uniforms remind me of.... 

naked_gun_jackson_1-h_2016.jpg

Hey! It's Enrico Pallazzo!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

As far as these Angels uniforms. I prefer them over what they currently wear, because it's what I grew up watching and the current uniforms are just a ripoff of the Texas Rangers 1990's uniforms. Still Mighty mentioned that he prefers the thicker halo, I never liked that as I thought it was too thick. I think what they wear for a halo is perfect width. There are elements of the current look, that I like and elements that could go. The one thing that should go, is the red jersey. I swear that red jersey is cursed, because it seems as soon as they unveiled it the team started heading south. Of course the "wonderful" management (and that is sarcasm) of Arte Moreno helped that.

7 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

You're really putting too much emphasis on this.

In your position. I’d probably want to change the subject too. ;) 

But you can’t talk about the relationship between LA and OC without discussing the Orange Curtain.   And you can’t talk about that without acknowledging the racism that caused it to be hung in the first place.

I like just about everything to their current set except the weird silver drop shadows on the scripts and that the halo is silver instead of gold (athletic, not metallic). A Los Angeles script would be nice, leave the Big A on the hats as a compromise to Anaheim and because it's a solid cap logo that's been there in one form or another for the vast majority of the franchise's existence. I can't decide whether the crowns of the caps and the undershirts should be red or navy; navy objectively looks better but for marketing purposes I respect the red/blue dichotomy between the Angels and Dodgers.

Archived