Carolina Hurricanes Ask Fans For Help With New Logo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

IIRC, the Hurricanes name was done by Peter Karmanos, he napkin-sketched the logo, and judging by that weird little sliver of white in the middle, whoever did it in Illustrator wasn't much better. There's nothing behind that identity but inertia.

And the Sportslogos page knows it too. If you go to the Hurricanes primary logo, the description says,

A red and black circle resembling a hurricane

It doesn't say "a stylized hurricane" or whatever, instead a circle that looks sort of like a hurricane.

IbjBaeE.png

How 'bout moving the team to Charlotte and taking the Checkers name? I think placing the team in Raleigh was a mistake to begin with (3 Div. 1 colleges in the area, no history of supporting a major league team, not even the biggest city or metro area in North Carolina), and Charlotte has a history of supporting teams even when they're bad, so long as the stadium is in a good place: the Knights are the highest-attended team in the Minor Leagues despite being pretty bad, because BB&T Ballpark is uptown. I'd say Spectrum Center could work for a while, but the sight lines aren't great, so a new stadium would be needed. 

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. A Whalers homage would be awesome, and could totally work. I think a reference to the area could be nice, but the problem is there's not much to Raleigh. It's identity is pretty much consists of the fact that's it's the capital and the 3 colleges. Maybe something to do with the state capital? I have almost no ideas outside of a Whalers homage, which is fine.

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

IIRC, the Hurricanes name was done by Peter Karmanos, he napkin-sketched the logo, and judging by that weird little sliver of white in the middle, whoever did it in Illustrator wasn't much better. There's nothing behind that identity but inertia.

Anyway, prediction time: the free crowdsourced logo the team chooses will have a negative-space H for "Hurricanes" but also "Hartford" to honor their history, and then there will be some esoteric symbol of Raleigh that no one recognizes because Raleigh doesn't mean anything to anyone anywhere else.

Raleigh has no esoteric symbols...all we have are triangles and oak trees.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

because Raleigh doesn't mean anything to anyone anywhere else.

And people fought to let you back in here?  Really?

50 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

How 'bout moving the team to Charlotte and taking the Checkers name? I think placing the team in Raleigh was a mistake to begin with (3 Div. 1 colleges in the area, no history of supporting a major league team, not even the biggest city or metro area in North Carolina), and Charlotte has a history of supporting teams even when they're bad, so long as the stadium is in a good place: the Knights are the highest-attended team in the Minor Leagues despite being pretty bad, because BB&T Ballpark is uptown. I'd say Spectrum Center could work for a while, but the sight lines aren't great, so a new stadium would be needed.

Placing the team in Raleigh wasn't a mistake, and moving it to Charlotte would be.  The mistakes for Raleigh are two-fold:  first, we should have waited until there was the prospect of a Major League Baseball team relocating.  Baseball at that level would go gangbusters here, moreso than Charlotte despite the population difference, plus we're farther away from Atlanta and wouldn't have to contend nearly as much with converting Braves fans.  

The second mistake was Karmanos.  As soon as the cup was won, he essentially stopped giving a damn about the franchise, and over time kept reducing marketing spending to a point that where, by 2015, the Hurricanes were literally being outspent by the Durham Bulls.  Dundon is shaking things up, but he's got a LOT of fence building (and mending) to do.  The sport itself can make it here readily enough if only there were a competitive product on the ice - going a decade without a playoff berth in a league where over half the teams qualify?  That'll tend to erode a fan base.

19 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Raleigh has no esoteric symbols...all we have are triangles and oak trees.

True.  I've lived here 24 years now and have yet to devise a symbol for this area other than triangles or oak trees, neither of which lend themselves to a unifying branding concept.

nav-logo.png

I would agree, except that the silver they used was so dark, and coupled with the dark blue and green, that it was muddy and ugly.  Not to mention the delicate balance of the logo, its negative space, was destroyed by the outlines

Rarely can you re-color a good logo without ruining it in the process.  Good designers design for a specific color balance, a balance easily knocked out of whack. 

I'll give you that turning the whale-tail into a toilet seat was not what I would have done, but the silver is sufficiently light here and there seems to be plenty of contrast all around, at least to my eye:

brendan-shanahan-of-the-hartford-whalers

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

... the silver is sufficiently light here and there seems to be plenty of contrast all around, at least to my eye:

brendan-shanahan-of-the-hartford-whalers

I grew up in a family that held season tickets to the Whalers for the entirety of the franchise's existence, both in the WHA and NHL. With the exception of my maternal grandfather and a couple of my uncles, everyone within our corner of Whalers fandom preferred this color scheme and ranked these uniforms the best that the team ever donned. To each their own.  

I don't care for the silver because it encases the logo, robbing it of the brilliance of the negative space.  The H is too obvious with the silver background, and actually almost forms "horns" on the top of the crest.

EDIT:

Maybe just make the W and tail silver with green outline, or make the W green with a silver outline, and the tail silver with green outline... or just solid silver?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When I think of the Whalers, I think of those jerseys.^

Minus the logo, these are the best jersey design in Whalers history, both in terms of color balance, and design. The Howe-Era jerseys looked way too much like green and blue Blackhawks sweaters. (Pucky was cool though.) And the white version of this set, had WAY to much silver on a white jersey, which unfortunately, just ends up looking like white on the sweaters.  

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Maybe just make the W and tail silver with green outline, or make the W green with a silver outline, and the tail silver with green outline... or just solid silver?

Silver and contrasting-color (green on tail, blue on W) outlines on white, silver and white outlines on navy blue. You represent silver as a team color but don't have a toilet seat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived