NFL REDESIGN (NFC North 3/20)

nate.sweitz

On 9/9/2018 at 7:07 PM, nate.sweitz said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll be posting updates periodically.

Next up, fresh off their week 1 upset, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers!

I have to admit, I don't hate their current threads as much as everyone on these boards seems to. I like the addition of silver and the color blocking, but the execution was lacking in a few areas, namely the numbers. So instead of completely scrapping the look, I'm attempting to build off of it.

Sword-like imagery is my main design element here, featured in the striping, numbers, and reinforced in the logos. The logo set is very similar to their current ones, but I think I made some significant improvements. I constructed it with bolder, more organic lines, and I think the skull ended up a lot more menacing and visually interesting. An updated ship logo, originally intended to be the primary, is featured on the pants.

Black is removed from all logos. Orange is relegated to logos-only.

I also put together an all-white set to suit Tampa's climate. White pants could be paired with the red jersey a couple times a year to mix it up.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Buccaneers_New.jpg

This whole set is so much better than what they throw out there in real life. The font is so freaking good. The orange has always felt a little forced to me with what they wear, so getting rid of it is far from a deal-breaker for me. All of your work on this thread is fantastic, but this one in particular struck my fancy.

XcryMwi.png

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/25/2018 at 11:55 AM, Htown1141 said:

To someone not really caring a whole lot, those jags and bucs number fonts look kinda similar from a distance. Something to keep in mind if you’re tryna make each team unique. I understand the differences in the jerseys and the colors and whatnot, but the numbers, minus the weird blue jays thing on the bucs one, look pretty similar.

Thanks. I agree, the Jags and Bucs numbers are similar. I use the same template for a lot of my custom block fonts, so some of them share elements, but I'm doing my best to differentiate those that do with different colors, strokes and inlines (aka the Blue Jays thing). I also try to differentiate them by using different styles of numerals. For example, the Jags and Bucs have different serif treatments for the 5's (but I usually change up 2's and 4's.)

On 9/25/2018 at 1:10 PM, vtgco said:

The Dolphins are a well-done combination of retro and modern. The sun striping's strange but fun. Good work there!

Your Broncos head logo is a big improvement over their current logo. I think the blue sleeve caps are the best way to make the mane striping work, but something feels off about the concept in general. The D logo horse's legs and torso have weirdly-weighted outlines. Needs some work.

The Jaguars update is really amazing. Logo is a perfect combination of the old and new. With the cool striping and colors, you really elevate their new font. I'd do black/teal/black at home, black/white/teal away, and all-black third. 

Really outstanding work!

Thanks! Yeah, the bronco in the D is a little off. I'll take a look at it.

Next up, the Dallas Cowboys!

For a while, my Cowboys concept was simply a recoloring of their current threads, but I decided that wasn't in keeping with the rest of the series, so I went with a more modern interpretation.

There are only so many directions you can go with a team whose logo is a star, but I'm still forcing myself to create a new logo for each team. Mine is inspired by mcrosby's Cowboys logo. I had a cowboy head in the works, but it just didn't fit the team. I might do a concept with that later.

Their colors are condensed into one blue, a somewhere between navy and royal, and one silver, with a blue tint that's unique to the Cowboys.

The sleeve comes forward into the front of the jersey, like with the Seahawks and Browns. I think it's an interesting way to engage a part of the uniform that's usually left empty.

The font is a modernized version of their classic number font. 

This isn't necessarily what I'd do if the Cowboys came calling, I think the jerseys and logo could be some of the best alternates in the league. I also had a heck of a lot more fun with this concept than I would've If I had kept it conservative.

Let me know what you think!

Cowboys.jpg

Wow dude! I'm really loving these. I think the Seahawks are my favorite. Everything about that set just works. I'm not feeling the Ravens uniforms, but the logo is top notch. I can't wait to see what else you have. Keep up the good work.

Cowboys look good. Love the silver you gave them, super unique and a color they could own. I agree that the stripes do stop kind of abruptly, but this is still a fun take on the Boys. Also the white pants are fire dude, that silver on white on white would be one of the best looks in football.

On 9/20/2018 at 3:10 PM, C-Squared said:

Its really cool to see someone with such a strong understanding of each team's identity also be able to execute logical extensions of those identities... nothing is overly "out there," yet everything feels a bit unique from anything I've seen on this site... so much attention to detail & maybe the first new Ravens logo that feels like a realistic next step for the franchise.

C-Squared said it perfectly...You have a good sense of changing things up without doing too much. The small changes to the Jets, Colts and Chiefs are bang-on.

Great series so far!

Thank for the feedback, guys! I might rework the 'Boys later on in the series.

Next up, the Carolina Panthers!

A sharp, modern look finally brings the Panthers into the 21st century. Silver is removed from the set, distilling it to clean combination of black, white, and Carolina blue.

The primary logo features a 'C' and a panther's eye. Can a logo have a gradient? Maybe not, but I haven't figured out a better way to render it yet. Let me know if you have any ideas. I created this logo in 2016, making it the oldest in the series.

The striping pattern and custom jersey numbers take cues from the logo. 

Color balance is one of the strengths of this set, so mixing and matching is encouraged (with the exception of black-blue-blue, but it would've been weird to leave one combo out).

This identity shares some similarities with the Jags, but in the end, I think the blues are different enough that you'd know which team you're looking at.

With that, we're halfway through the series I'll probably be posting less frequently from here on out cause art school's starting to heat up.

C+C is appreciated!

Panthers.jpg

Panthers_jersey_combos.jpg

Wow. The uniforms are amazing, but that logo is simply awful. The whole concept just doesn't fit when the Panthers have an established brand and logo that only needs minor tweaking. All you have to do is replace the silver with white and maybe tweak the left eye and you're golden. Like I said, the uniforms are fantastic, maybe the best Panthers concept I've seen. Just replace that logo and it'll be perfect.

the user formerly known as cdclt

These have all been at the very least really solid so far, and a lot of your designs are up there as some of the best and most creative I’ve seen on these boards! You clearly have a strong ability to use different design elements such as stripe consistency and color in unique ways. Some of my favorites are the Jets, Dolphins, and Seahawks. Amazing job overall so far, looking forward to more!

I like the idea of the Logo but it just doesn't work. Now if you redesigned the Panther logo and made it your own i would imagine that it would be great. The Jerseys are another idea you need to pitch to Nike and Carolina, they are out of this world keep up the good work!

On 9/1/2018 at 12:31 PM, nate.sweitz said:

Here's a version with the helmet colors flipped for the orange fans out there. I like this look too, but if you squint it just looks like the Browns. I'm using the white helmet to differentiate between the two teams.

Bengals_Orange.jpg

Next up is the Minnesota Vikings!

My idea here was to marry their current identity with their late 90's/early 00's look, with consistent striping all the way around.

The logo is a modern interpretation of the classic Hubenthal Norseman.

C+C appreciated!

Vikings.jpg

Oh man the Vikings bit is so good.  I love that the Home and Away set tripes don't match, like they did in the glory days.  Well done..

On 9/28/2018 at 3:57 PM, nate.sweitz said:

Thank for the feedback, guys! I might rework the 'Boys later on in the series.

Next up, the Carolina Panthers!

Panthers.jpg

First off, like the others, I'm not big on the logo. Now, it might be a good secondary logo, but their primary is too good to replace with this.

Now, helmet-wise, I love the design with the stripe, but I think that perhaps your should find one base style of stripe, say the blue/black/white on the black pants, and use that for the helmet.

Taking that same stripe, I'd use it on the jerseys and pants, with blue being front on the white and black, black in it's place on the blue. A personal preference is adding blue outlines to your numbers on the white and black tops, but that's just because I hate single color numbers for teams with 3+ colors.

Just my thoughts, but great job on your work!

The new logo is... meh.  I certainly don't like it as much as the other ones you've done.  If you could make a reverse version, such that the eye is peering into the bottom right corner, you could put one on each side of the helmet, like an actual pair of eyes.  In my opinion, that would work better on a solid helmet than a striped one.

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

On 9/28/2018 at 9:47 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

Wow. The uniforms are amazing, but that logo is simply awful. The whole concept just doesn't fit when the Panthers have an established brand and logo that only needs minor tweaking. All you have to do is replace the silver with white and maybe tweak the left eye and you're golden. Like I said, the uniforms are fantastic, maybe the best Panthers concept I've seen. Just replace that logo and it'll be perfect.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:45 PM, andyfootball67 said:

I like the idea of the Logo but it just doesn't work. Now if you redesigned the Panther logo and made it your own i would imagine that it would be great. The Jerseys are another idea you need to pitch to Nike and Carolina, they are out of this world keep up the good work!

On 10/3/2018 at 5:39 PM, C-Squared said:

A slightly tweaked version of the current logo (on the black helmet with no border) with everything else the same would be perfection!

On 10/4/2018 at 12:16 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

First off, like the others, I'm not big on the logo. Now, it might be a good secondary logo, but their primary is too good to replace with this.

Now, helmet-wise, I love the design with the stripe, but I think that perhaps your should find one base style of stripe, say the blue/black/white on the black pants, and use that for the helmet.

Taking that same stripe, I'd use it on the jerseys and pants, with blue being front on the white and black, black in it's place on the blue. A personal preference is adding blue outlines to your numbers on the white and black tops, but that's just because I hate single color numbers for teams with 3+ colors.

Just my thoughts, but great job on your work!

On 10/4/2018 at 2:41 PM, CaptainKirkMN said:

The new logo is... meh.  I certainly don't like it as much as the other ones you've done.  If you could make a reverse version, such that the eye is peering into the bottom right corner, you could put one on each side of the helmet, like an actual pair of eyes.  In my opinion, that would work better on a solid helmet than a striped one.

16 hours ago, wentvoltage123 said:

I like everything about the Carolina Panthers redesign except for the logo. The new logo doesn't really scream panther to me, it just looks like a generic cat's eye.

Thanks for the feedback guys! You're right about the logo. It works as an alternate but it's a downgrade from the cat and doesn't really look like a football logo. I think I kept it in because of nostalgic purposes since it was one of my first logos, but it doesn't really hold up with some of my current work.

Here's my take on their roaring panther logo. Let me know what you think! Cardinals coming soon.

Panthers_new_whiskers.jpg

Archived