NFL REDESIGN (NFC North 3/20)

nate.sweitz

I appreciate all the feedback! 

On 10/21/2018 at 11:43 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

I love this look for the Steelers. It’s a departure, and yet it totally fits them and has some history to it even still. I love how tasteful everything is, especially the little sparks on the pants that provide something interesting. And if the Steelers ever changed thier primary logo, I’d want it to be to something just like what you’ve got. The whole thing is another win. Well done!

On 10/22/2018 at 12:52 AM, DaBestoftheWest said:

Its odd seeing the Steelers without their usual sleeve stripes, but its just so well executed that I don't mind the change. Nice set, nice series!

On 10/22/2018 at 1:40 AM, ahowe6464 said:

I'm with @DaBestoftheWest. Weird at first glance, but I dig it a lot

Thanks guys! "Weird at first glance, but I dig it a lot" was the exact vibe I was going for. 

On 10/21/2018 at 2:38 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

While it's your same great quality.... this is the biggest no for me that you've done. Mostly because I've never liked the yoke for Pitt. Love the idea of the sparks on the pant stripe, don't mind the idea of black pants at all, but I just cant help but think these would be so much better if it was the standard striping pattern instead of the yoke.

17 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

I think this may be the first design that misses the mark. It really is tough to change a classic. I dig the pants stripe but the yoke ain't workin for me. I do appreciate the grey facemask though

Definitely understand the criticism. At the end of the day, this project is about experimentation and figuring out how to make changes to established brands without compromising each franchise's identity. If the Steelers approached me to make tweaks to their uniform, I probably would have just added the sparks to the pants. The Steelers have had one of the best looks in the league for fifty years, so I wouldn't really be able to justify making such radical changes IRL. If anything, these designs could be a fun Pro Combat-esque one-off for the Steelers, if Nike was still doing that.

Next up, the Atlanta Falcons!

My goal here was to preserve the color blocking from their current threads while modernizing the designs. The striping, which takes cues from the logo, is consistent in all applications. White and red don't touch, with the exception of where the striping truncates.

The logo is a more anatomically correct depiction of a diving falcon. This is probably the biggest leap of the set. Although I've never really loved the Falcons current, I can't recall ever seeing seen a concept that improves it. At this point, I've just been looking at mine for too long to really know how I feel about it, so I'd love to get some suggestions. I'm especially struggling with how to represent it without a black background.

Another little detail is the addition of gold swooshes on the jerseys and pants. I always liked the idea of gold accents for Atlanta, as long as they're reigned in enough to avoid looking like their division rivals.

The new blocky number font is inspired by their wordmark, which I tweaked a little.

C+C is greatly appreciated!

Falcons.jpg

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Section30 said:

I really like the Falcons, the new logo is sharp! You mentioned gold on the uniforms, I've looked and haven't been able to find any, where is it?

Just on the swooshes. I didn't realize how pixelated the image got, so its almost impossible to see. Here's a detail of the sleeve cap.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-30-at-3-11-01-PM.png

This is one of the best concept threads I have ever seen, so I'll offer one critique: A lot of your pants designs are nowhere close to as creative as your logos (amazing, amazing work) or jerseys -- for example, these sleeves are incredible, but from the waist down the concept feels way more traditional. 

This Falcons logo is a bit of a miss for me. It feels like a bunch of random streaks, and the wing seems more bat-like than bird-like.

The jerseys are nice, especially that black alt. I like the sleeve striping, but I feel it would work better with a black yoke on the home and away. That, and I'd do black pants at home and/or red pants away.

Love the gold swooshes, and I get you don't want to make it look too much like NO, but I feel you could add a tad more gold.

I agree with @ramsjetsthunder about the number outlines.

Looking forward to seeing the next team!

17 hours ago, vtgco said:

This Falcons logo is a bit of a miss for me. It feels like a bunch of random streaks, and the wing seems more bat-like than bird-like.

The jerseys are nice, especially that black alt. I like the sleeve striping, but I feel it would work better with a black yoke on the home and away. That, and I'd do black pants at home and/or red pants away.

Love the gold swooshes, and I get you don't want to make it look too much like NO, but I feel you could add a tad more gold.

It looks like more of a dragon to me, but i think that is because of the wing. Great job otherwise.

sms.gif

On 10/30/2018 at 3:42 PM, Brave-Bird 08 said:

This is one of the best concept threads I have ever seen, so I'll offer one critique: A lot of your pants designs are nowhere close to as creative as your logos (amazing, amazing work) or jerseys -- for example, these sleeves are incredible, but from the waist down the concept feels way more traditional. 

i totally second this, everything is amazing but my first critique of the falcons concept was that there was only white pants. Design is cool on them, but i'd love to see more options

On 10/30/2018 at 3:42 PM, Brave-Bird 08 said:

On 10/30/2018 at 3:58 PM, ramsjetsthunder said:

I'd have the pant stripes match the sleeve stripes and taper off with a sharp end. Also, I really like the no-outline on the black uni, so I'd take it off the home and away.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:04 PM, vtgco said:

On 10/31/2018 at 1:49 PM, 1991 said:

It looks like more of a dragon to me, but i think that is because of the wing. Great job otherwise.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:24 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

I like the white pants, love the striping of the pants/socks, but would like to see it better realized on the sleeve cap, and maybe some black pants? Otherwise, a really solid look.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:47 PM, jaytavo305 said:

i totally second this, everything is amazing but my first critique of the falcons concept was that there was only white pants. Design is cool on them, but i'd love to see more options

Thanks for the feedback guys. Lots of great C&C. I wish you wouldn't have mentioned the dragon cause now that's all I can see, but thank you. They could definitely use some black and maybe red pants, but I couldn't figure out a way to incorporate the striping pattern while maintaining consistency with the white pants. I'll work on it!

Next up, the Green Bay Packers!

My goal here was to build a modern, consistent brand around an already iconic look. I took a lot of cues from the most recent Bucks redesign.

The biggest departure from tradition here is the stenciled type treatment throughout the identity. It's a blue-collar, industrial look that's perfect for a cold weather team named after the meat-packing industry. The stencil look also made for a pretty cool 'GB' logo. 

Numbers and letters are built from the Apex typeface.

The uniforms are pretty standard Packers. They finally update to the Nike template, so the needlessly complicated collars are simplified to a single color block. Road striping returns to the Lombardi pattern. Yellow and white never touch to prevent the colors from bleeding.

The alternate/color rush is a callback to their 1953 uniform. Gone are the weird  yellow-navy-khaki uniforms that really just remind me of Jim Harbaugh.

Let me know what you think!

Packers-new.jpg

These are some tremendous concepts. Nice work all around, Nate. Only because they're the latest, one thought that occurred to me about Green Bay: The first thing I thought of when I saw them was the Edmonton Eskimos. I realize the two are fairly similar to begin with, but the thing that really got me was the stacked two-letter logo on the helmet. The GB mark is smart and looks good, so for redesign purposes, I'd say keep it. I just wanted to point out the similarity.

One other thing: Your Browns concept seems to be the logical way to clean up their current actual look. It's solid, simple, and yet a bit more modern than the full-on 60s look they had before their redesign.

Again, excellent work all around.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Next up, the San Francisco 49ers!

This is basically a modernization and streamlining of their classic set.

Their iconic "SF' logo now interlocks, and incorporates two pickaxes to reinforce the gold mining theme.

After much deliberation, I went with two stripes on the jerseys instead of three, to maintain striping consistency.

The new block font includes subtle rounded corners on the inside, taking cues from the towers of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The alternate is inspired by various other looks the Niners have had throughout their history.

C+C is appreciated!

49ers.jpg

1 hour ago, nate.sweitz said:

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Next up, the San Francisco 49ers!

This is basically a modernization and streamlining of their classic set.

Their iconic "SF' logo now interlocks, and incorporates two pickaxes to reinforce the gold mining theme.

After much deliberation, I went with two stripes on the jerseys instead of three, to maintain striping consistency.

The new block font includes subtle rounded corners on the inside, taking cues from the towers of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The alternate is inspired by various other looks the Niners have had throughout their history.

C+C is appreciated!

49ers.jpg

Much as I'd love to see more gold on the jerseys, this is perfect from logo to alternate! Best redesign yet in my opinion.

Archived