oldschoolvikings

In the words of the late Tom Petty... I can't decide which is worse...

Recommended Posts

"Yer so bad" is appropriately the song title;

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdRViFCvvUo

 

I'm stunned at how bad the titans' new uniform looks in action, particularly the all-navy version.  It hits the amazing trifecta of derivative, ugly, and boring.  Quite an achievement.   

 

But it does beg the question... who is now he reigning worst?

 

The candidates;

 

josh-mccown-a7eebc6c55877e89.jpg

 

 

Buccaneers-Offense-ESPN.jpg

 

 

wsy15hzhwzsqylzgsiq4.jpg

 

and as we always say in the Art class critiques... don't just tell me what, tell me why...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on these pictures, it's the Titans. My reason is the uniform colors. The Titans wear mainly navy from head to toe, making it the most drab of the three. If there were more Columbia blue, it would probably be the best. 

 

But just so everyone knows, all three are terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are going off just those 3 pictures, then it's most certainly the Browns.  The orange pants are hideous.  I'm not certain it works paired with the white jersey, either.  They need to to never wear them again.  Despite the awful design, at least Tampa's colours go along with each other better than Cleveland's.  It's the same with the Titans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honesty, I like the Bucs look besides the number font.  I'm not a fan of the other two, though. The Titans look boring, and what the Browns are trying to do just isn't working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, the Browns and Bucs can be saved with a few tweaks, those Titans unis are a mess from top to bottom. 

 

Browns - Cut the pants word mark, lose the orange stitching, white numbers on the brown jersey, fix the stripes so they don't creep onto the chest, and never match the socks and pants and those aren't half bad.

 

Bucs - Fix the numbers, lose the "Bucs" logo on the one sleeve and they become better. (Still not as good as the previous set, but passable.)

 

With the Titans none of it works. They didn't need to add silver at all and instead they add two shades and apply it in the most garish way imaginable. The best color gets regulated to under the arms. The numbers look terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Titans won't look as bad when they aren't monochrome. The Bucs would actually look good if they had a decent number font and non-matte fabrics for the pewter parts of the jersey and pants. I still think the Browns are worst. White-over-white is the only combo that looks decent for them, but even it has the pant-stripe wordmark, which may be the single worst element of any uniform in the NFL. They look awful wearing orange pants when they're that shade - and I'm someone who thought their previous orange pants (particularly in the Brian Sipe era) looked great! The Browns are still, for me, the reigning kings of hot-mess uniforms. Except when the Rams wear navy, which luckily it looks like they won't do this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still hands down the Bucs, for me. Those "pirate carving" numbers are still just so heinous. Add in the reflective fabric that brings attention to them, and they're easily the worst uniform element in the league now that the Jags changed helmets. The slices of orange don't work with this look either, and the matte pewter is pretty gross.

 

Say what you will about the Browns as a whole, but the uniforms aren't that bad. Take away the orange stitching and the "Browns" down the leg, and I don't really have a complaint. They could stand to be a little more understated, I guess.

 

The Titans new look is pretty bad, yeah. But I can't say its the worst. Uninspired, boring, made them look like the Toronto Argonauts more than anything else? Sure. All true. It's in that bottom tier, but I'd take sword shoulders over those Bucs numbers any day. They're stupid, but those Bucs numbers are just that nauseating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

IMO, the Browns and Bucs can be saved with a few tweaks, those Titans unis are a mess from top to bottom. 

 

Browns - Cut the pants word mark, lose the orange stitching, white numbers on the brown jersey, fix the stripes so they don't creep onto the chest, and never match the socks and pants and those aren't half bad.

 

Bucs - Fix the numbers, lose the "Bucs" logo on the one sleeve and they become better. (Still not as good as the previous set, but passable.)

 

With the Titans none of it works. They didn't need to add silver at all and instead they add two shades and apply it in the most garish way imaginable. The best color gets regulated to under the arms. The numbers look terrible. 

 

I'm in the same boat. I just hate those Titans jerseys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was kind of on the fence about the Titans.  I liked some elements (blue helmet; sword-like shoulder yokes) and did not like some others (armpit color two stripes seemingly plopped randomly on the pants).  But in action...they are truly dank. 

 

I think I might rank Cleveland ahead of them, thanks to taking "Browns" off of the pants.  

 

I still think the Bucs and Jags are worse than Tennessee.  Maybe Seattle, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

 

 

I think I might rank Cleveland ahead of them, thanks to taking "Browns" off of the pants.  

 

 

They did? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I think the grey swatches on the Titans' pants are absolutely horrible. It's like it's the worst kind of lazy design - a designer spends days and weeks looking at the wall of paint chips and pantone swatches and just can't decide between the two of them as an accent, so the designer gets the 'out of the box' idea of using both swatches as they are on the leg, then, satisfied with the inclusion of some tertiary colors, goes out to a bar and celebrates, then the 'brilliant' idea of it being a sword sheath makes the decision feel like even more of a genius move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I think I might rank Cleveland ahead of them, thanks to taking "Browns" off of the pants.  

 

Prepare to be disappointed, it's still there ...

 

e40c03cf6ca24bec85d901b5f871adb5-e40c03c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Titans have a generic feel and I don't like the utilization of the Columbia under the arm, but they don't look that bad aside from the fact that they went monochrome.

 

The Browns are an aesthetic mess with bold colors that need to be used the right way to work and this is one of their worst combos (made much worse by orange socks).

 

The Bucs look great aside from bad numbers, but I don't need to start that debate again.

 

 

 

 

Sooooo... It's the Browns... *sigh*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally thought the Browns removed that from their pants.  Damn.  I still might put them above Tennessee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Titans set n be saved with a lighter blue or white helmet. All navy really dulls the set

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Titans get a pass. They’re bad uniforms...for the Tennessee Titans. That said? You could slap some Argos logos on those and they’d work. They would be a downgrade compared to the classic look they have now, but it would still work. 

 

So it’s between the Bucs and Browns. And it really is a case of duelling crap, isn’t it? 

Both replaced classy, traditional looks that didn’t need to be retired. 

Both have awful number fonts.

Both have stupid pants stripes. 

Both have wordmarks where they shouldn’t have wordmarks.

Both have hilariously bad jersey elements (“pewter” on the jerseys for the Bucs, contrasting stitching for the Browns). 

Both downgraded their helmets. 

 

I suppose the Bucs are worse because their number set is worse, and their helmet is just comically bad. 

That said? It’s amazing just how much these two sets match in their suckitude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Titans get a pass. They’re bad uniforms...for the Tennessee Titans. That said? You could slap some Argos logos on those and they’d work. They would be a downgrade compared to the classic look they have now, but it would still work. 

 

So it’s between the Bucs and Browns. And it really is a case of duelling crap, isn’t it? 

Both replaced classy, traditional looks that didn’t need to be retired. 

Both have awful number fonts.

Both have stupid pants stripes. 

Both have wordmarks where they shouldn’t have wordmarks.

Both have hilariously bad jersey elements (“pewter” on the jerseys for the Bucs, contrasting stitching for the Browns). 

Both downgraded their helmets. 

 

I suppose the Bucs are worse because their number set is worse, and their helmet is just comically bad. 

That said? It’s amazing just how much these two sets match in their suckitude. 

Whoever the focus groups are..that did an awful job giving the recommendation for the change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Titans and Buccaneers uniforms so that means the Browns are out.

 

I've grown to like the Bucs uniforms after playing several seasons as them on Madden 18. If it wasn't for the number font, it would probably have less hate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bucs: The numbers are abrupt and illegible. Between the shoulder yoke, orange trim, and asymmetric sleeve logos, it's an attempt to look modern and sleek that comes off clunky and cluttered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.