In the words of the late Tom Petty... I can't decide which is worse...

oldschoolvikings

"Yer so bad" is appropriately the song title;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdRViFCvvUo

I'm stunned at how bad the titans' new uniform looks in action, particularly the all-navy version.  It hits the amazing trifecta of derivative, ugly, and boring.  Quite an achievement.   

But it does beg the question... who is now he reigning worst?

The candidates;

josh-mccown-a7eebc6c55877e89.jpg

Buccaneers-Offense-ESPN.jpg

wsy15hzhwzsqylzgsiq4.jpg

and as we always say in the Art class critiques... don't just tell me what, tell me why...

Based on these pictures, it's the Titans. My reason is the uniform colors. The Titans wear mainly navy from head to toe, making it the most drab of the three. If there were more Columbia blue, it would probably be the best. 

But just so everyone knows, all three are terrible. 

If you are going off just those 3 pictures, then it's most certainly the Browns.  The orange pants are hideous.  I'm not certain it works paired with the white jersey, either.  They need to to never wear them again.  Despite the awful design, at least Tampa's colours go along with each other better than Cleveland's.  It's the same with the Titans.

IMO, the Browns and Bucs can be saved with a few tweaks, those Titans unis are a mess from top to bottom. 

Browns - Cut the pants word mark, lose the orange stitching, white numbers on the brown jersey, fix the stripes so they don't creep onto the chest, and never match the socks and pants and those aren't half bad.

Bucs - Fix the numbers, lose the "Bucs" logo on the one sleeve and they become better. (Still not as good as the previous set, but passable.)

With the Titans none of it works. They didn't need to add silver at all and instead they add two shades and apply it in the most garish way imaginable. The best color gets regulated to under the arms. The numbers look terrible. 

The Titans won't look as bad when they aren't monochrome. The Bucs would actually look good if they had a decent number font and non-matte fabrics for the pewter parts of the jersey and pants. I still think the Browns are worst. White-over-white is the only combo that looks decent for them, but even it has the pant-stripe wordmark, which may be the single worst element of any uniform in the NFL. They look awful wearing orange pants when they're that shade - and I'm someone who thought their previous orange pants (particularly in the Brian Sipe era) looked great! The Browns are still, for me, the reigning kings of hot-mess uniforms. Except when the Rams wear navy, which luckily it looks like they won't do this year.

It's still hands down the Bucs, for me. Those "pirate carving" numbers are still just so heinous. Add in the reflective fabric that brings attention to them, and they're easily the worst uniform element in the league now that the Jags changed helmets. The slices of orange don't work with this look either, and the matte pewter is pretty gross.

Say what you will about the Browns as a whole, but the uniforms aren't that bad. Take away the orange stitching and the "Browns" down the leg, and I don't really have a complaint. They could stand to be a little more understated, I guess.

The Titans new look is pretty bad, yeah. But I can't say its the worst. Uninspired, boring, made them look like the Toronto Argonauts more than anything else? Sure. All true. It's in that bottom tier, but I'd take sword shoulders over those Bucs numbers any day. They're stupid, but those Bucs numbers are just that nauseating.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

20 minutes ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

IMO, the Browns and Bucs can be saved with a few tweaks, those Titans unis are a mess from top to bottom. 

Browns - Cut the pants word mark, lose the orange stitching, white numbers on the brown jersey, fix the stripes so they don't creep onto the chest, and never match the socks and pants and those aren't half bad.

Bucs - Fix the numbers, lose the "Bucs" logo on the one sleeve and they become better. (Still not as good as the previous set, but passable.)

With the Titans none of it works. They didn't need to add silver at all and instead they add two shades and apply it in the most garish way imaginable. The best color gets regulated to under the arms. The numbers look terrible. 

I'm in the same boat. I just hate those Titans jerseys. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I was kind of on the fence about the Titans.  I liked some elements (blue helmet; sword-like shoulder yokes) and did not like some others (armpit color two stripes seemingly plopped randomly on the pants).  But in action...they are truly dank. 

I think I might rank Cleveland ahead of them, thanks to taking "Browns" off of the pants.  

I still think the Bucs and Jags are worse than Tennessee.  Maybe Seattle, too.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think the grey swatches on the Titans' pants are absolutely horrible. It's like it's the worst kind of lazy design - a designer spends days and weeks looking at the wall of paint chips and pantone swatches and just can't decide between the two of them as an accent, so the designer gets the 'out of the box' idea of using both swatches as they are on the leg, then, satisfied with the inclusion of some tertiary colors, goes out to a bar and celebrates, then the 'brilliant' idea of it being a sword sheath makes the decision feel like even more of a genius move. 

58 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I think I might rank Cleveland ahead of them, thanks to taking "Browns" off of the pants.  

Prepare to be disappointed, it's still there ...

e40c03cf6ca24bec85d901b5f871adb5-e40c03c

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Titans have a generic feel and I don't like the utilization of the Columbia under the arm, but they don't look that bad aside from the fact that they went monochrome.

The Browns are an aesthetic mess with bold colors that need to be used the right way to work and this is one of their worst combos (made much worse by orange socks).

The Bucs look great aside from bad numbers, but I don't need to start that debate again.

Sooooo... It's the Browns... *sigh*

I totally thought the Browns removed that from their pants.  Damn.  I still might put them above Tennessee.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Titans get a pass. They’re bad uniforms...for the Tennessee Titans. That said? You could slap some Argos logos on those and they’d work. They would be a downgrade compared to the classic look they have now, but it would still work. 

So it’s between the Bucs and Browns. And it really is a case of duelling crap, isn’t it? 

Both replaced classy, traditional looks that didn’t need to be retired. 

Both have awful number fonts.

Both have stupid pants stripes. 

Both have wordmarks where they shouldn’t have wordmarks.

Both have hilariously bad jersey elements (“pewter” on the jerseys for the Bucs, contrasting stitching for the Browns). 

Both downgraded their helmets. 

I suppose the Bucs are worse because their number set is worse, and their helmet is just comically bad. 

That said? It’s amazing just how much these two sets match in their suckitude. 

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Titans get a pass. They’re bad uniforms...for the Tennessee Titans. That said? You could slap some Argos logos on those and they’d work. They would be a downgrade compared to the classic look they have now, but it would still work. 

So it’s between the Bucs and Browns. And it really is a case of duelling crap, isn’t it? 

Both replaced classy, traditional looks that didn’t need to be retired. 

Both have awful number fonts.

Both have stupid pants stripes. 

Both have wordmarks where they shouldn’t have wordmarks.

Both have hilariously bad jersey elements (“pewter” on the jerseys for the Bucs, contrasting stitching for the Browns). 

Both downgraded their helmets. 

I suppose the Bucs are worse because their number set is worse, and their helmet is just comically bad. 

That said? It’s amazing just how much these two sets match in their suckitude. 

Whoever the focus groups are..that did an awful job giving the recommendation for the change

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Archived