Jump to content

Memphis 901 FC Announces Name, Unveils Logos Ahead of First Season


SportsLogos.Net News
 Share

Recommended Posts

Memphis 901 FC Announces Name, Unveils Logos Ahead of First Season

September 1, 2018 - 14:13 PM

What better way for the City of Memphis to celebrate “901 Day” than to reveal the name of their brand new professional soccer team? This morning on September 1st (9/01) at precisely 9:01am local time, the name and logo of […]

Read More...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1.  I need to see how well it scales and can be reproduced on different mediums, but in graphical form, I absolutely love it.  The record, M-crown, and color usage are brilliant.  It has local references without forcing them in like most Nike designs do.  No surprise since it comes from Simon.  Great work.

 

2.  I really hate when teams market around their area code, since so many large cities have multiple area codes, and and other than for old land lines, they are pretty much meaningless.

Phila city (and some burbs) were always 215, but if you're under 40, that may not even mean anything, as you could live in the city and have one of 4 area codes for your landline, and infinite area codes for your cell phone.  To anyone under 30, they're simply numbers.  Maybe Memphis is different since it's relatively small, but it just seems like something that could eventually be obsolete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I really hate when teams market around their area code, since so many large cities have multiple area codes, and and other than for old land lines, they are pretty much meaningless.

Phila city (and some burbs) were always 215, but if you're under 40, that may not even mean anything, as you could live in the city and have one of 4 area codes for your landline, and infinite area codes for your cell phone.  To anyone under 30, they're simply numbers.  Maybe Memphis is different since it's relatively small, but it just seems like something that could eventually be obsolete.

 

212, 213, and 312 are the only American area codes I can think of that really mean anything, and surprise, they're associated with the centers of the three biggest cities. And I don't think anyone even has a 312 number in Chicago anymore unless they work in the Loop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mcrosby said:

In another thread there was talk of which Euro-style nomenclature was missing in US soccer. German-style City+Year was missing, I think City+Area Code counts. 

 

I would have preferred Memphis Kings. 

 

Good luck getting the Elvis estate holders to sign off on that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

 

2.  I really hate when teams market around their area code, since so many large cities have multiple area codes, and and other than for old land lines, they are pretty much meaningless.

Phila city (and some burbs) were always 215, but if you're under 40, that may not even mean anything, as you could live in the city and have one of 4 area codes for your landline, and infinite area codes for your cell phone.  To anyone under 30, they're simply numbers.  Maybe Memphis is different since it's relatively small, but it just seems like something that could eventually be obsolete.

Agreed. My biggest issue is how plastic it feels. It seems like taking the area code is the equivalent of your dad trying to be hip by using slang out of context. We all know where the team plays because the city is in its name. Another geographic marker is not required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

 

212, 213, and 312 are the only American area codes I can think of that really mean anything, and surprise, they're associated with the centers of the three biggest cities. And I don't think anyone even has a 312 number in Chicago anymore unless they work in the Loop.

Maybe the only ones that mean something nationally, but based on the number of times area codes have popped up as brands, I think it’s safe to say they can mean something to locals. I can’t remember any of them because nobody cares outside of the local calling area, but I know they’re there. 716 certainly has cachet in Buffalo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First: I love this logo. While it's not exactly new, given that the Redbirds did this style as well, I don't care. The Redbirds' logo is so amazing I'd gladly take a Redbirds-Inspired logo over something brand new but bad.

Second: While the name is a little strange, it's not bad by any stretch. It's better than Real Salt Lake and Sporting Kansas City, that's for sure. At least they tried to incorporate a local reference into the name, it's better than just Memphis FC. 

3 hours ago, mcrosby said:

In another thread there was talk of which Euro-style nomenclature was missing in US soccer. German-style City+Year was missing, I think City+Area Code counts. 

There's actually Reno 1868 FC in the USL, so we do have the city + year thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

212, 213, and 312 are the only American area codes I can think of that really mean anything, and surprise, they're associated with the centers of the three biggest cities. And I don't think anyone even has a 312 number in Chicago anymore unless they work in the Loop.

 

What I wonder is what happens when, inevitably, there's a change in area code, overlay area code, or an extra digit added to area codes (as planned by NANPA once phone number capacity reaches a certain point).  What're these teams gonna do then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, I really dig that. For those saying that 901 doesn't mean anything, I would disagree heavily. Memphians have a ton of city pride, and 901 is used heavily in Tennessee. Nationally, one of the biggest songs this year features it prominently-

 

 

I think it's a really smart choice by the team. 

 

On another note, was this designed by Studio Simon? It's clearly taking a ton of inspiration from their Redbirds rebrand either way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

 

212, 213, and 312 are the only American area codes I can think of that really mean anything

Drawing a blank here; without googling them those could be Wichita for all I know.  Outside of places I've lived a relevant amount of time in, the only area codes that I would recognize are 404 (Atlanta) and 305 (Miami) from rap songs and 808 (Hawaii).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fun fact: When area codes were first developed, all the major metropolitan centers got low numbers (especially '1' as the middle digit) to cut down on dialing time. Remember calling somebody who had a 8,9, or 0 in their number in the rotary days? That's why NY, LA, and Chicago all got 212, 213, 312...
Lots of western and southern states with (then) minuscule populations got stuck with '0' in their middle digit. Poor folks.

 

Poor Memphis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, schlim said:

Fun fact: When area codes were first developed, all the major metropolitan centers got low numbers (especially '1' as the middle digit) to cut down on dialing time. Remember calling somebody who had a 8,9, or 0 in their number in the rotary days? That's why NY, LA, and Chicago all got 212, 213, 312...
Lots of western states with (then) minuscule populations got stuck with '0' in their middle digit. Poor folks.

 

The 0 digit was for states that only had one area code. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  I need to see how well it scales and can be reproduced on different mediums, but in graphical form, I absolutely love it.  The record, M-crown, and color usage are brilliant.  It has local references without forcing them in like most Nike designs do.  No surprise since it comes from Simon.  Great work.

 

2.  I really hate when teams market around their area code, since so many large cities have multiple area codes, and and other than for old land lines, they are pretty much meaningless.

Phila city (and some burbs) were always 215, but if you're under 40, that may not even mean anything, as you could live in the city and have one of 4 area codes for your landline, and infinite area codes for your cell phone.  To anyone under 30, they're simply numbers.  Maybe Memphis is different since it's relatively small, but it just seems like something that could eventually be obsolete.

 

I don't know about this. In areas that have multiple area codes, there seems to be some level of prestige attached to having the OG area code.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

Drawing a blank here; without googling them those could be Wichita for all I know.

Manhattan, Hollywood, downtown Chicago

 

30 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I don't know about this. In areas that have multiple area codes, there seems to be some level of prestige attached to having the OG area code.

Yeah, that was a Seinfeld episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.