Memphis 901 FC Announces Name, Unveils Logos Ahead of First Season

SportsLogos.Net News

On 9/2/2018 at 10:34 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

It's created a market where companies buy up all the available inventory of "classic" area code numbers and auction them off.  They really don't mean anything anymore, but we're conditioned to associate 212 with NYC, 617 with Boston, 312 (at least nationally due to Goose Island) with Chicago, 619 because WRESTLING with SD, and locally, 215 with Phila, which as mentioned, has at least 5 area codes active within its limits.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/06/12/business/want-212-area-code-its-gonna-cost-you

I rarely see anyone actually wearing shirts like this, but I do see 215 tattoos, and I want to ask them if their phone number actually has 215 in it.

c700x420.jpg

It sounds like the market for these Delaware license plates.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/08/22/delaware-license-plate-auctioned-for-410000.html

Delaware-License-Plate-Tag.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/1/2018 at 4:14 PM, Mac the Knife said:

What I wonder is what happens when, inevitably, there's a change in area code, overlay area code, or an extra digit added to area codes (as planned by NANPA once phone number capacity reaches a certain point).  What're these teams gonna do then?

Probably nothing. If there's a split, major cities aren't going to lose their code, and if it's an overlay, people will still associate the "old"/"primary" number with the city. Indianapolis recently got an overlay code, but that doesn't mean stuff in the city suddenly stopped being branded with 317. (Hell, I'd have to look up the overlay code.)

It kinda seems unlikely at this point that any individual mid-sized U.S. city that doesn't have an overlay now is going to get to the point where the overlay constitutes a significant enough portion of the population that people stop calling it the 317 or 901 or whatever.

6fQjS3M.png

On 9/1/2018 at 12:48 PM, the admiral said:

212, 213, and 312 are the only American area codes I can think of that really mean anything, and surprise, they're associated with the centers of the three biggest cities.

When 718 came in in New York City, the prestige of 212 became entrenched, as 212 was at first only Manhattan and the Bronx, and eventually only Manhattan.  At that point, 718 was the awkward intruder. 

Then we got 917 as a cell phone area code for the whole City.  That briefly had some cachet on account of its being associated with advanced technology.  Then came the appallingly ugly area codes of 347, 646, 929, and who knows what else.

I recently talked to someone whose cell phone has a 718 area code, and I envied him because I am stuck with a crass 347 area code.  I marvelled at my impression that 718, which not so long ago had been the weird newcomer, now felt to me like a prestige code.

Side note: I strongly dislike overlays.  Each area code should be associated with its own geographical zone.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yep. Overlays were the lazy way of avoiding constantly moving boundaries for 'primary' codes. Northeast Ohio was a good example of creating new primaries without overlays. Cleveland kept 216, and Youngstown/Warren got 330. But, as 330 got used up, Youngstown got to keep 330 as their primary and the area between Cleveland and Youngstown got a new primary. It'd have been weird if instead of geography dividing 330/440, if 440 just became an overlay and you saw the two mingle.

I know that Pittsburgh's 412 split with the outlying areas being 724, they created an overlay that covered BOTH 412 and 724 area codes. Without looking it up, I swear it was 878. With the explosion of toll-free numbers from 800 to 888 to 877, etc. I remember there were scammers using 878 pretending it to be a toll-free number. Or, rather, just hoping you wouldn't notice. The original goal was 878 was for things like computer lines, secondary lines, etc.

all this talk of "prestige" area codes would have confused me a ton a few months ago... but then i ditched my "new-comer" 469 Dallas area code for the classic 214, and about 75% of the people i gave my new number to said "oooh nice. you got a 214. good work."

i mean, i like being old school and having a real dallas number... but the fact that this is a thing weirds me out.

if i had my way, i'd have a 138 area code as a nod to my punk music obsession and the misfits... but i don't even think that's a real area code for any area.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:10 AM, Davidellias said:

It's a real shame the Austin team didn't call itself "Austin CIty"  that would have been perfect.

That name certainly would have had its Limits. 

***crickets***

Anyway ... I'd have loved to have seen Memphis go with the Rogues. Loved that old NASL brand, if not the old logo. 

This area code game is a funny thing, though. I've lived in Portland for 10 years now (503) but have kept my old Albuquerque phone number (505) mostly because I hate the idea of making everybody I know update their contacts. I assume that, eventually, mobile phones will render area codes as useless identifiers. That said, I still prefer naming a team after an area code over naming one over an airport code. 

I feel like the 414 got it right. It used to cover all of Southern and Eastern Wisconsin. But Madison and SW Wisconsin became 608 in the 1950s, Green Bay and the Fox Valley became 920 in the mid 90s, and the suburban counties became 262 in the late 90s, leaving the 414 almost exclusively to Milwaukee County.

It sounds like a lot of other places got hasty and muddied the waters more than necessary.

Archived