Inter Miami FC Reveals Logo, MLS Expansion Club for 2020

Waffles

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The NASL failed. 

So? It still gave us some of the best and most historic identities of current day North American soccer, with the Whitecaps, Sounders, Timbers, Earthquakes, NY Cosmos, TB Rowdies, Tulsa Roughnecks, etc.

IMO, those locally-significant names with history are way better than the generic faux-European names like Real Salt Lake, Atlanta United, New York City FC, and especially Internacional Club de Fútbol Miami.

Miami's logo's a beauty, though. It would be best as just a roundel or shield, but it's still good.

Cool that they're local herons (I was wondering why the flamingos were white!) Miami Herons would be a great name/nickname.

I like @alecgoff's mockup, it would be great to add some teal for more Miami flair!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/15/2018 at 10:27 PM, _RH_ said:

Kansas City: "Let's have a pretentious identity to differentiate ourselves in the MLS"

Salt Lake: "hold my beer"

Miami: "Woooo!  Hold my coke!"

Except this isn't pretentious for Miami.  It really is a very diverse, "international" city with a much higher than average percentage of Spanish speaking citizens.  

As far as the logo, I'm glad to see they have a version without the roundel.  Hopefully only the shield actually makes it on to the kits.  But art deco and neon is exactly the direction I would go in for Miami. Nicely done!

9 hours ago, Kaz said:

The flamingos are really beautiful; I kinda wish they had forgone either the shield or roundel so that the flamingos are a bit more viable. 

I get that, because the bird element is fantastic. But I kinda like the versatility of this mark — that it can be both a roundel or a shield. I could see the roundel being what's used on official letterhead and other marketing collateral, while the shield appears on uniforms. 

Maybe that's a design faux pas I'm not knowledgable enough to understand, something that makes it too busy. But I like that it's incorporated that potential functionality into it.

1 hour ago, vtgco said:

So? It still gave us some of the best and most historic identities of current day North American soccer, with the Whitecaps, Sounders, Timbers, Earthquakes, NY Cosmos, TB Rowdies, Tulsa Roughnecks, etc.

IMO, those locally-significant names with history are way better than the generic faux-European names like Real Salt Lake, Atlanta United, New York City FC, and especially Internacional Club de Fútbol Miami.

The New York Cosmos are poison to any league they join, and I wouldn't mind if the team stayed dead forever. NYCFC is a perfectly fine team name, given that they play in the city proper and their crest/colors are so fantastic. Once again, the Cosmos are POISONOUS. Do you really want to honor a team that played a big part in both of the NASL's failures?

Atlanta United is A-OK, as is Inter Miami (it really works there, more than the bland "Strikers"). Real Salt Lake is iffy, but I don't mind it too much. 

That "history" of the NASL is one of a league over-estimating its abilities and crippling itself. Some identities survived, eventually finding their way to MLS, but many died and should stay dead.

33 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The New York Cosmos are poison to any league they join, and I wouldn't mind if the team stayed dead forever. NYCFC is a perfectly fine team name, given that they play in the city proper and their crest/colors are so fantastic. Once again, the Cosmos are POISONOUS. Do you really want to honor a team that played a big part in both of the NASL's failures?

Atlanta United is A-OK, as is Inter Miami (it really works there, more than the bland "Strikers"). Real Salt Lake is iffy, but I don't mind it too much. 

That "history" of the NASL is one of a league over-estimating its abilities and crippling itself. Some identities survived, eventually finding their way to MLS, but many died and should stay dead.

Not a soccer fan and I don't know the history of the NASL but if the Cosmos joined the MLS instead of NYFC I would've gotten season tickets at least for their inaugural season. I don't like the corporate branding of the NY/NJ Redbulls and NYFC's identity just bothers me. If I lived in Seattle I'm almost certain I'd be a fan simply because of their colors and nickname. Call it fickle, but it's enough for me to not care for either team. Seems like an unpopular stance but just my 2¢.

Oh, as for Miami, I love it. If they add a splash of "Miami vice teal" I think it'd be perfect. The logo will look great on a black or white jersey regardless. I'd love to see them bust out a pink alternate with black shorts and pink socks. 

Nice work here. I don’t love the shield on top of the circle (I think Miami would be better in the bottom of the circle where MMXX lives and the cranes could then be enlarged, or the logo should just be the shield), but I love the commitment to an unconventional color palette and I love that the elements of the marks are quite literally flawless. Really, really solid execution here.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, vtgco said:

You’re living in the past man! You’re hung up on some league from the 70s, man!

Seriosuly though. The NASL failed. MLS, when it tried to Americanize soccer, nearly failed. 

It was only when MLS began to target soccer fans specifically- a strategy that included “faux-European names”- that they began to carve out their own sustainable niche in the North American sports scene. 

Simply put? If you don’t like the Euro-style names? They probably aren’t meant for you. They’re meant for the fans who, since their adoption, have turned out to MLS in droves. 

Fewer and fewer fans even know the NASL these days anyway. It’s a fading brand. The Cosmos identify, for example, is pretty much trashed these days.

To the bolded part. Sorry you don’t like Spanish? *shrug*

2 hours ago, Olmec said:

Not a soccer fan and I don't know the history of the NASL but if the Cosmos joined the MLS instead of NYFC I would've gotten season tickets at least for their inaugural season. I don't like the corporate branding of the NY/NJ Redbulls and NYFC's identity just bothers me. If I lived in Seattle I'm almost certain I'd be a fan simply because of their colors and nickname. Call it fickle, but it's enough for me to not care for either team. Seems like an unpopular stance but just my 2¢

It is an unpopular opinion by nearly every metric available. And so it’s probanly not an opinion to give much weight to while formulating a branding strategy *more shrugging* 

1 hour ago, mcrosby said:

Real quick and real dirty edit. No more shield/roundel combo. Pick one or the other. Addition of teal. Subtly making the brilliant M legs the focal point by centering it.

tcewBCU.png

Yes!  It doesn't really need the teal, but it looks good here too.

4 hours ago, Kaz said:

incredulous.gif

I agree the old logo was really bad, but sticking with the name led to this beauty. I'd personally say the modern Roughnecks identity is pretty great.

Tulsa-Roughnecks-FC.png

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

You’re living in the past man! You’re hung up on some league from the 70s, man!

Seriosuly though. The NASL failed. MLS, when it tried to Americanize soccer, nearly failed. 

It was only when MLS began to target soccer fans specifically- a strategy that included “faux-European names”- that they began to carve out their own sustainable niche in the North American sports scene. 

Simply put? If you don’t like the Euro-style names? They probably aren’t meant for you. They’re meant for the fans who, since their adoption, have turned out to MLS in droves. 

Fewer and fewer fans even know the NASL these days anyway. It’s a fading brand. The Cosmos identify, for example, is pretty much trashed these days.

To the bolded part. Sorry you don’t like Spanish? *shrug*

I'm not suggesting that the MLS needs to return to NASL-style "Americanization" of the game. I understand both incarnations of the league failed, and I'm okay with that. I don't even ask that the average fan knows about the old NASL.

I just appreciate when a team recognizes its city's soccer history, or at least brands itself with a name that is unique to the region. I just think the Euro-style names don't achieve that as much.

As for ICF Miami, I just think it's a bit of a mouthful, and it sounds like they're trying to copy Inter Milan. Another Spanish name would be fine by me.

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm just saying I like the Cosmos' branding. I don't want every team in the league to be an NASL reincarnation, and I agree that their were some really bad identities from the league, but I'd be up for seeing some more of the good ones back. I'm not a fan of "Strikers" either, personally, and I agree that the blue & orange for NYC is great.

I'm not really trying to talk about the how the NASL's business models have failed, or how MLS's has succeeded, or how any of it reflects on the fans, I'm just expressing my opinions on the logos & names.

Basically, I get a bit bored by the repetitive "United" & "FC" & "City" names. I would be fine if it were just a few, but IMO it's gotten stale.

It just saddens me that so many great, diverse cities with unique histories, ecologies, and cultures feel the need to look toward another continent for inspiration, and then so many end up choosing the same name.

As for the NASL, I'm just trying to say that it's just one of many potential sources of creative and unique brands.

It's all good, though. In the end, I'm just happy to share in the love of the beautiful game! ♥️⚽♥️ Hope you all are having a good day!

p.s. @mcrosby, your edit is amazing! Love the teal, and the centered M.

10 minutes ago, vtgco said:

it sounds like they're trying to copy Inter Milan. Another Spanish name would be fine by me.

Such as Atlético Madrid Miami? :P

An international city like Miami should have an international, timeless name.  I love that teams like the Sounders and Timbers have their own Americanized names that have a bit of history behind them, but it just doesn't fit Miami.

11 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The NASL failed. 

If it weren't for the NASL, there most likely wouldn't be an MLS. The league, itself, may have failed, but not its legacy of several teams including the Whitecaps, Sounders, Timbers, Earthquakes, Cosmos and Rowdies.

Well, most of those are new teams borrowing the name of an older team, with no actual connection to the original one.  We sure see that here in New York. 

Yes, the NASL will always be an important chapter in our nation’s soccer history.  But that’s where it belongs.  As much as we ought to be grateful that they founded the first big-time league, we can also condemn them that they ran that league into the ground and in the process nearly killed the sport in our country. 

I know that people are being a little nitpick-y and all, but this logo is seriously amazing. Fantastic use of symbolism, colors, and nickname for a truly timeless look. This would easily be the best logo in the entire MLS.

spacer.png

Count me as one who likes the mix of NASL (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver San Jose), early MLS (LA Galaxy, Chicago, Columbus), and modern "International" style names.  I feel it makes MLS uniquely American, yet able to take influence from traditional soccer nations... as it should be.

The interesting thing here is that Miami is drawing on Inter for the inspiration for the name while the colors of pink and black are more traditionally associated with Inter's Derby d'Italia rival Juventus. The aren't the first team to do this--Real Salt Lake's name clearly leans on the popularity of Real Madrid while its colors of red and blue, colors used by the Spanish national team, are also traditionally associated with Real Madrid's El Clásico rival FC Barcelona.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

10 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

The interesting thing here is that Miami is drawing on Inter for the inspiration for the name while the colors of pink and black are more traditionally associated with Inter's Derby d'Italia rival Juventus. The aren't the first team to do this--Real Salt Lake's name clearly leans on the popularity of Real Madrid while its colors of red and blue, colors used by the Spanish national team, are also traditionally associated with Real Madrid's El Clásico rival FC Barcelona.

Eh.  Juve wears black and white, Inter wears black and blue, and AC Milan wears black and red; I don't think black alone is the defining color for any of those teams.  Pink is sometimes used by Juve in their away kits, but again, not their defining color.  If Inter Miami ends up wearing black and white vertical stripes then sure, but otherwise I think this is a reach.

I think Inter Miami is a fine name and am really happy it's not yet another United.

Question: Is this the last of the Euro-style names MLS teams can appropriate? We have a Real, Dynamo, a bunch of FCs, a bunch of Uniteds, an SC or two. I guess we're still waiting on a team with a year (whoops Houston). I think a Sacramento Tuesday or San Antonio Friday (though Hotspur would be kind of perfect...) could be fun too, but I don't see it. Is there anything else left?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived