Inter Miami FC Reveals Logo, MLS Expansion Club for 2020

Waffles

15 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I think Inter Miami is a fine name and am really happy it's not yet another United.

Question: Is this the last of the Euro-style names MLS teams can appropriate? We have a Real, Dynamo, a bunch of FCs, a bunch of Uniteds, an SC or two. I guess we're still waiting on a team with a year (whoops Houston). I think a Sacramento Tuesday or San Antonio Friday (though Hotspur would be kind of perfect...) could be fun too, but I don't see it. Is there anything else left?

MLS needs a Town, a Bayern, an AC, an Atletico, a Deportivo, an Olympique, a Rovers, a Wanderers, and at least 2 more United before calling it a day on Euro-style names.

Sacramento Republic already sounds vaguely Euro. I'd take Atletico or AC San Antonio. Seeing the Bayern/Bavarian Milwaukee is already in use, but by a very small club. Atlanta United should have gone with Atlanta Town FC, peace up, A-Town down. Montreal could have run with Olympique. I'd love a hot air balloon based Albuquerque Wanderers. 

Honestly I'm happy with Euro style names, so long as there's variety and it makes sense (stop it Real Salt Lake, SLCity FC would've done just fine). Pro team names are mostly not that good, and with the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL already claiming most decent names I'd be afraid of ending up with minor league Brandiose style names. The MLS should continue to cater to soccer fans who already love Euro teams and know their naming conventions. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/17/2018 at 4:03 PM, alecgoff said:

Really think they could have added a teal color to the logo, kinda like the Miami Heat's Vice uniform. 

w56h5tgerfwed243t5yhrer.jpg

tumblr_osfdp3pPcp1ro873qo3_250.gif

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I'm still incredibly disappointed that Montreal didn't go with Olympique - especially when they actually play at Olympic Park in Montreal.  There's also Celtic, but that's probably in the same vein as Bavarian/Bayern where there's maybe a small handful of cities that could actually pull it off.  

It's probably a moot point now, but I'd actually like to see a couple clubs look to the ASL for inspiration. Philadelphia Nationals would have been a great nod to Phily's soccer history if not for the inconvenience of the Phillies already playing in a division with a Nationals.  If the Revolution are ever sold and want to disassociate themselves from the mediocrity of the Kraft era, they could rebrand as the New England Marksmen as a tribute to the Fall River club.  The NY Cosmos brand is too tainted by shady management since the end of the NASL?  Why not bring back the NY Apollo?  (Not for NYRB though... I want to see Metro Stars FC, or some form of it like Metro FC.)  

As a primary logo, I agree with you.  Nor would I want to see it on the chest in place of a badge. But as a secondary I think it’ll be fine.  It will be a solid accent mark on email communications, as a jock tag, even on caps.  Wherever NYCFC uses its monogram, I can see this working. 

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:03 PM, alecgoff said:

Really think they could have added a teal color to the logo, kinda like the Miami Heat's Vice uniform. 

w56h5tgerfwed243t5yhrer.jpg

YES!!  Freakin' beautiful...

And you know what else this added color does?  Brings out the notion of the crescent portion of the "sun" also representing the 'moon', as in the classic phrase/song "Moon over Miami"  ('Moons' was in the running for the AFL franchise that became the Dolphins, back in the day).

It is what it is.

On 8/17/2018 at 1:23 AM, anythinglogos said:

Other than Montreal, my guess is the team that’s more commonly associated with Inter would also object.

I like every element of the crest except that dumb shield inside a roundel. Take it out, enlarge the cranes a bit and it’s beautiful. Hope that if they use pink shirts as first choice that they at least avoid black pants and socks, we’ve got so few pink teams I’d hate for them to all look alike

Well not necessarily 

milan-15-16-home-kit+(1).jpg

f77741-ac-milan-away-jersey.jpg

2351-francesco_totti.jpg

west_bromwich_albion_18_19_puma_away_kit

huddersfield-ak-1819-516x680.png

Rangers FC secondary logo is on their kits

37728021_l.jpg

This is their primary logo

220px-Rangers_FC.svg.png

Celtic's road kits simply have a Celtic cross

P4687-78-0-001_9.jpg

5 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Its clean, modern, well-rendered, all that, I just think an M made of skinny pink bird legs is a bit ornate for a pro sports team... the disembodied legs as a standalone M are a hard pass for me.

thats a positive not a negative. if someone made that point during a critique of concepts, i'd lean more toward using that as a primary for this point. why? it's different; it stands out and is the "weird one" in the league. thats a good place to be

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 8/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, Kaz said:

Eh.  Juve wears black and white, Inter wears black and blue, and AC Milan wears black and red; I don't think black alone is the defining color for any of those teams.  Pink is sometimes used by Juve in their away kits, but again, not their defining color.  If Inter Miami ends up wearing black and white vertical stripes then sure, but otherwise I think this is a reach.

Juventus' original kits were pink shirts with a black tie, and they've periodically adopted pink clash kits in the past as a nod to that history. I can't think of a top-tier soccer club more associated with pink than Juventus.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On 8/19/2018 at 3:49 PM, mcrosby said:

Honestly I'm happy with Euro style names, so long as there's variety and it makes sense (stop it Real Salt Lake, SLCity FC would've done just fine).

RSL should have been the Salt Lake Pumas (or Pumas del Lago Salado) to try to capitalize on the growing Hispanic population in the state as well as the nostalgia of LDS Church members who served missions to Latin America.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

RSL is a fairly easy fix.  They become either the Salt Lake Royals, or Salt Lake Royal FC. Their shirts become black and yellow hoops, and the "Royal" becomes a reference to queen bees, as Utah is known as the Beehive State.

This identity is just super sexy.  Super excited about the kits.  Believe they will go with the shield on the kits with the roundel as the official mark on marketing and business material, as many have mentioned.

And yeah the Euro thing is kinda forced in many cases but I dunno...when you combine the sleek yet retro identity that screams “Miami” and “nightlife” and has a very cosmopolitan vibe - the name Inter(nacional) Miami just works for me.

I kinda agree with criticism that the “M” is pretty slim and the whole thing is very intricate for a sports club but you can’t pull off this look with fat, bold letters and clunky symbols.  

Inter Miami gear is gonna be hot when it comes out!

On 8/16/2018 at 2:16 AM, Conrad. said:

Bit larger pic of the Miami crest...

mlslogo.png

The logo looks awesome, but I don’t dig the name. If you use a Spanish name, at least please check your grammar checks out. Otherwise it’s just pretentious pondering. I thought the Mas brothers should know better. I mean, how hard is it? -> Club de Fútbol Internacional, damnit! 

On a completely unrelated random note, does anyone else get roxy vibes from the birds? 

734530_roxy-wallpaper.jpg

On 8/21/2018 at 12:57 AM, Captain Tsubasa said:

On a completely unrelated random note, does anyone else get roxy vibes from the birds? 

That's it!  I knew that part of the logo looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't quite place it.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It's super weird that we got this far discussing the logo but we don't know really what the colloquial name of the team is.

Also, I won't quote the posts with the photos of shirts with secondary logos on them -- but I would say those are pretty hit or miss. The Rangers monogram looks awesome, for example, but some of the weird things Milan was tossing out make the shirts look like knockoffs. In MLS, Portland Timbers were doing that for a while, with the axe-only badge (no wordmark) on their third kit, if memory serves. Then that ended up becoming their primary. It works in select situations, but I'm not sure the heron legs M is bold enough for that application, and I'd be particularly wary when the club is still in brand-building mode.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 8/20/2018 at 4:56 PM, Mingjai said:

RSL should have been the Salt Lake Pumas (or Pumas del Lago Salado) to try to capitalize on the growing Hispanic population in the state as well as the nostalgia of LDS Church members who served missions to Latin America.

Man, Pumas would be such a cool name for them, but I'm guessing Adidas and Liga MX's UNAM would have something to say about that unfortunately.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:10 PM, NicDB said:

RSL is a fairly easy fix.  They become either the Salt Lake Royals, or Salt Lake Royal FC. Their shirts become black and yellow hoops, and the "Royal" becomes a reference to queen bees, as Utah is known as the Beehive State.

That would be a lovely idea, even as an away kit for RSL. I seem to recall reading, though, some purported information that RSL was at or near the very bottom in shirt sales, and that's why they get stuck with boring, awful away kits every year.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:57 AM, Captain Tsubasa said:

The logo looks awesome, but I don’t dig the name. If you use a Spanish name, at least please check your grammar checks out. Otherwise it’s just pretentious pondering. I thought the Mas brothers should know better. I mean, how hard is it? -> Club de Fútbol Internacional, damnit!  

They could still correct it between now and whenever they have an unofficial unveil. I'm sure since it was leaked, somebody has brought it to the attention of the club's shot callers.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

5 hours ago, Digby said:

It's super weird that we got this far discussing the logo but we don't know really what the colloquial name of the team is.

Not really - in MLS today, those names come from the fans.  

NYCFC didn’t have one until they were actually playing, two years after the club was announced. 

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Not really - in MLS today, those names come from the fans.  

NYCFC didn’t have one until they were actually playing, two years after the club was announced. 

MLS: so organic. I don’t really buy the fan-made nickname idea as part of a brand. If you talk to a non-soccer fan in Seattle but ask them if they’ve been to a Sounders game, I suspect they’ll at least know what you’re talking about. Can we say the same about the “Pigeons”? If you ask about the Reds in Toronto, will they ask you if you took a wrong turn in Ohio (or Liverpool)?

1 hour ago, Digby said:

MLS: so organic. I don’t really buy the fan-made nickname idea as part of a brand. If you talk to a non-soccer fan in Seattle but ask them if they’ve been to a Sounders game, I suspect they’ll at least know what you’re talking about. Can we say the same about the “Pigeons”? If you ask about the Reds in Toronto, will they ask you if you took a wrong turn in Ohio (or Liverpool)?

What does that matter, what non-soccer fans think or know?  The target audience is soccer fans, old or new.  New fans can be educated in the organic nickname convention some of these teams use as they are educated in the rest of the league’s peculiarities and particulars.

In the meantime, the clubs’ brands stand perfectly well without a nickname explicitly stated in the name.  Nobody doubts that NYCFC has a strong brand - even those who hate us have to admit that we’ve got a brand.  The front office adopting “Pigeons” after we proposed it way back when only strengthens the connection between club and community, and strengthens the brand in the city every time they reference what we gave them. 

Trying to see how a fan-generated nickname that isn’t part of a club’s official name is possibly a bad thing. 

Archived