American Football Association (NFL minor league)

JCRGraphix

I'm back with another concept series. This time, I'm designing a minor league for the NFL, the American Football Association.

logo.png

The AFA has 32 teams divided into two conferences (East and West to save money on travel), which are each divided into four divisions. Each team is affiliated with an NFL franchise and is used to both develop players and as a place for players who don't fit on an NFL roster.

We will start this series in the East with the Atlantic division which consists of the Norfolk Neptunes (Redskins), Orlando Thunder (Dolphins), Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks (Panthers), and the Richmond Bulldogs (Steelers). 

Our first team is the Norfolk Neptunes who were originally a franchise in the Continental Football League from 1966-69 and the Atlantic Coast Football League from 1970-71. They are the minor league affiliates of the Washington Redskins.

neptuneslogo.png

neptunes1.png

neptunes2.png

2 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I'd try to sneak the parent team's logo somewhere on the concept. 

Aside from that, these are really nice uniforms, but I have to ask: Wouldn't this be affiliated with the NFL, so likely be under the NFL's one helmet rule?

The NFL logos will be reserved for the NFL night game. The way the league works, the team pays about two-thirds of the contracts, while the NFL club pays about a third (players needing a little extra game time experience), so there is a fair amount of independence, so they don't want to plaster their logos everywhere. 

As for the one helmet rule, the AFA commissioner realized that is a stupid rule and ignored it entirely.

1 hour ago, Pengin. said:

Very nice so far. I really like the helmet that mimics the old redskin arrow .

Thanks! I'm putting a tiny bit of the parent club in each, and that's exactly the idea I had in mind. Good eye!

13 hours ago, heavybassX said:

"Orlando Thunder"

OH GOD NOT THAT COLOUR SCHEME "shudders"

I assume their parent team would be the Buccaneers, so maybe it'll be pirate related with cannons, as a cannon blast could be described as thunderous. Then you'd have the tie in with the Bucs, and an Orlando tie in with Disney (and the Pirates of the Caribbean).

Up next we have the Orlando Thunder, the minor league team for the Miami Dolphins. They were a franchise in the World League of American Football from 1991-92. They have a bright color scheme that was toned down from the original. The logo feature's a lightning bolt and Thor's hammer on a roundel making the initials OT.

orlandologo.png

orlando1.png

orlando2.png

Archived