Introducing the Rocket City Trash Pandas

SportsLogos.Net News

The part that gets me the most is that they went with the nickname for a racoon, instead of actually racoons... Rocket City Racoons is a million times better than Rocket City Trash Pandas. They could still use the same branding, jokes, connections, yada yada yada whatever. The alliteration, and the more obvious connection are great, but instead, they went with a nickname that people hardly use anyways... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

17 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

I'm from the Rocket City, actually. We used to have a great minor league team with the Huntsville Stars, but poor ownership and relationship with the city led to the ugly breakup and the birth of the Biloxi Shuckers. While the team is technically located in Madison, it's simply a suburb of Huntsville; the two are one in the same to me, especially if they want to use "Rocket City," which is Huntsville's nickname.

I hate this name and the support it got. Huntsville deserves a lot better than this. Maybe they wanted to distance themselves from the original Stars? Avoid space-themed team names? 

But there's no way in hell anyone can convince me this was a genuine fan-voted poll. The owners said when they revealed the final group of names a few weeks ago that logos and merchandise would be available in just a few weeks after the name was announced. There's no way they could have determined the voting and created a logo and merchandise in such a short turnaround. Brandiose is involved in this project and I bet they already had Trash Pandas selected and a logo already designed.

I don't know if you're referring to the voting of the finalists, or the voting for the finalists, but I find it fishy that whenever we get these names, we hear very, very little (if anything at all) about the selection process that leads to these names. We don't hear much about how these names are chosen until after the fact. I think the ownership groups and Brandiose (and marketing groups going all out in obscure and goofy) pick out these names with little to no input from their consumers and, surprise, surprise fans end up having to choose between Trash Pandas and ThunderSharks.

Admittedly, Trash Pandas is kinda funny and probably the shiniest turd on the name pile given (Space Chimps had some potential IMO; I'd like to pick @infrared41's brain on this, given his regular support of chimps in the GTOV IIRC), but there were so many better options to pick from.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

4 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

The part that gets me the most is that they went with the nickname for a racoon, instead of actually racoons... Rocket City Racoons is a million times better than Rocket City Trash Pandas. They could still use the same branding, jokes, connections, yada yada yada whatever. The alliteration, and the more obvious connection are great, but instead, they went with a nickname that people hardly use anyways... 

At first, I thought this was one of those one-night rebrands. I don’t think there’s a whole identity in “Trash Pandas”.

Here are some other fun names for MiLB to try:

Hailstone Ninjas

Volcano Unicorns

Laserbeam Rhinos

The Fuzzzzz

Corndog Friars

Jukebox Heroes

Donkey Mules

Garden Variety Samurai 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

11 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

There's "[having] fun with the design process" and there's "throwing s**t at the wall and hoping something will stick". I have no problem with the former. I have little patience for the latter... particularly when a client is being asked to compensate you for the privilege. And believe me, I am well aware that there is a certain amount of trial-and-error involved in the creative process.

Look, I find some of Brandiose's work to be terrific. Their efforts on behalf of the Asheville Tourists, Biloxi Shuckers, Clearwater Threshers, Frisco Rough Riders, and Myrtle Beach Pelicans are amongst my favorite minor pro baseball brands. Perhaps I'm wrong and the principals at Brandiose truly believe that team identities like Trash Pandas, Rumble Ponies, and Jumbo Shrimp measure up to this work as examples of quality sports branding. Me? I see over-the-top goofiness for the sheer sake of trying to come across as outrageous... and precious few identities that will stand the test of time.

Well, sure. Those are great names... and those teams probably came to them wanting a more traditional name. Other teams come wanting something wacky, wild, and novelty, because that’s what they think is the best way to sell minor league baseball in their market. What are you gonna do as an independent design firm? Say no?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

11 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Admittedly, Trash Pandas is kinda funny and probably the shiniest turd on the name pile given (Space Chimps had some potential IMO; I'd like to pick @infrared41's brain on this, given his regular support of chimps in the GTOV IIRC), but there were so many better options to pick from.

What is it that you'd like to know? 

BB52Big.jpg

On 9/6/2018 at 9:32 AM, pmoehrin said:

In all seriousness though, Trash Pandas? Seriously? You expect players to say things like "I'm proud to be a Trash Panda" or "I'm proud to wear the Trash Panda uniform" with a straight face and mean it?

As if players are “proud” to be Montgomery BISCUITS?! (Also in Alabama coincidentally enough.)

It’s minor league baseball. Don’t take it too seriously.  

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

2 hours ago, Chawls said:

As if players are “proud” to be Montgomery BISCUITS?! (Also in Alabama coincidentally enough.)

It’s minor league baseball. Don’t take it too seriously.  

I picture most minor league players like the cliche rock star that says the same thing about every city on their 100-night tour. "I'm so excited to join the proud tradition of the *looks at writing on hand* Trash Pandas."

If your going with "Rocket City" the first thing that springs to mind, of course, is a derogatory nickname for a racoon. 

The connection is obvious to everyone.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

7 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Not a whole lot, but would you support a minor league team named the Space Chimps? You know, with the GTOV and everything?

Depends. If it makes sense and it is well done then yeah, I'd probably be a fan. If it's just another case of, as Brian in Boston perfectly stated, "throwing s*** at the wall to see what sticks" then I'd find it just as stupid as everyone else would.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived