Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, kimball said:

I'm going to go grab my popcorn, this thread is going to be fun ...

 

I find these comments really annoying. Either say what you think or don't. But don't wait for others to have opinions you won't. And don't root for conflict that hasn't happened yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

I don't know why they keep taking these half measures.

 

Just rip the band-aid off already and be done with it.

 

The article clearly stated why they're taking the "half measure" while waiting till end-of-year to rip off the band-aid.

 

Nothing to see here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kimball said:

I'm going to go grab my popcorn, this thread is going to be fun ...

 

8 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

I find these comments really annoying. Either say what you think or don't. But don't wait for others to have opinions you won't. And don't root for conflict that hasn't happened yet.

 

I think this board's long-standing membership is no longer greatly stirred by anything Cleveland/American-Native-logo-related in terms of outrage.  It's all been done before; it's all been said before. 

 

It's tired.  I'm tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only big takeaway here is that the road uniform is even more devoid of personality. At the very least, a red bill on the cap and this script would spice it up:

 

xg54smtpcah5k27agoyxzlrfi.png

 

A bit of character goes a long way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh.   I hate that script.

 

I would totally be on board with a Cleveland-themed logo for the sleeve patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The only big takeaway here is that the road uniform is even more devoid of personality. At the very least, a red bill on the cap and this script would spice it up:

 

xg54smtpcah5k27agoyxzlrfi.png

 

A bit of character goes a long way.

 

However, the absence of it can also make you stand out, like Penn State or the Tigers’ home uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

 

However, the absence of it can also make you stand out, like Penn State or the Tigers’ home uniform.

 

Yeah, but when combined with the block C, it looks so bland and uninspired. I’d call it the worst road uniform in the majors. Cleveland doesn’t have the historical clout to pull it off. Besides, it doesn’t fit with their historical color balance (navy and red co-dominance, with a bit more red than the Red Sox):

 

al_1948_cleveland.gif

 

A cleaned-up version of the cursive “Cleveland” script (like the 1948 home script), or even a red with navy outline block “Cleveland” would go a long way to improving the look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I find these comments really annoying. Either say what you think or don't. But don't wait for others to have opinions you won't. And don't root for conflict that hasn't happened yet.

 

1) I don't have a strong held opinion about the issue compared to others. All you have to do is browse any thread mentioning the Indians or Redskins nicknames or mascots.

2) Do have my opinion on the issue figured out. Do I think the Indians' logo should be retired, sure. The name? Meh.

3) These kind of posts ALWAYS bring up conflict, bigotry, piss poor arguments and waaaaay too many strongly felt fallacies flamed with the fuel of internet rage. Not necessarily on this board, but pretty much all over the internet when it comes to the Cleveland Indians, Washington Redskins, Atlanta Braves and ethnic nicknames.

 

The best thing is to sit back, pop some popcorn and just watch the internet burn on issues like this one. No one is going to win.

 

Michael-Jackson-Popcorn.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All my thoughts on this for the 49th time:

 

- they should absolutely lose Chief Wahoo.

- They should've lost it 24 years ago when they moved into Jacobs Field.

- No, the demands to remove the logo aren't new. There were protestors at that game I went to in 1994. According to my grandfather that day he'd seen protestors for years at Municipal Stadium.

- The 1970's primitive savage looking script is not an improvement. It's a lateral move at best, looks like :censored:, and it's embarassing in its own way, and could be argued it's almost just as problematic in the reasons behind its construction as Chief Wahoo.

- the block C sucks. Just because they can't use Chief Wahoo doesn't mean they need to go the other way and avoid having any identity at all.  

- I much prefer the Cleveland script that matches the home Indians script to the arched wordmark, which is really bland and boring, but not boring enough that like the Yankees New York grays or like the 1980's Red Sox Boston grays, that it transcends its boredom and becomes cool. 

- if you try to make them use a brown and red color scheme or a brown and orange color scheme in a concept you're a simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of me is wondering if the whole “Rock ‘N Roll” theme of the All-Star Game was an attempt to experiment with a new direction/name for their identity, which may or may not involve ditching the name. The Dolans would be smart to assume that people will call for the name to go next.

 

Cleveland Rockers (what I’d assume they’d go with) isn’t too bad, but I’d rather have Spiders or Guardians (after those cool statues that are within a few minutes’ walk of the stadium).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland Rockers is awful. I'd rather they keep Wahoo than go with Cleveland Rockers. Nobody in Cleveland gives a fart about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and people groused that the all star logo was a guitar. It's lazy as hell. 

 

 

Spiders is my vote. Or they could just be Cleveland BC. Nobody in any sport besides soccer has tried that naming convention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McCarthy said:

Nobody in Cleveland gives a fart about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and people groused that the all star logo was a guitar. It's lazy as hell. 

 

Yeah, I hate the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (No Todd Rundgren? AYFKM?) and I don’t think it’s a good name. I think you can build a good identity off of the crappy name, but the “Minnesota Wild situation” is not one to emulate. 

 

I don’t think Cleveland BC is a good idea at all, especially because it doesn’t kill the old name as thoroughly as it should. Spiders, Guardians, Forestmen, or even Blues (provided they do something different from both the St. Louis Blues and the Blue Jays) are all better choices.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're going to blow it up, blow it all the way up.  

 

Cleveland Spiders.  Purple, black and orange color scheme - mix some Colorado Rockies with a little Baltimore Orioles.

 

I grew up in Indians territory.  The team hasn't won a WS in 70 years.  Their history is such that it caused the "Major League" movies to be made.  Go ahead.  Blow it up and start anew.  What do you have to lose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kimball said:

 

1) I don't have a strong held opinion about the issue compared to others. All you have to do is browse any thread mentioning the Indians or Redskins nicknames or mascots.

2) Do have my opinion on the issue figured out. Do I think the Indians' logo should be retired, sure. The name? Meh.

3) These kind of posts ALWAYS bring up conflict, bigotry, piss poor arguments and waaaaay too many strongly felt fallacies flamed with the fuel of internet rage. Not necessarily on this board, but pretty much all over the internet when it comes to the Cleveland Indians, Washington Redskins, Atlanta Braves and ethnic nicknames.

 

The best thing is to sit back, pop some popcorn and just watch the internet burn on issues like this one. No one is going to win.

 

 

None of that had happened in this tread yet.  You're the one bringing all that up now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it is as racist as one can get. I refer to the NFL team as simply Washington. 

 

However, the Tribe is ok, (so are the Warriors, which Washington NFL has trademarked) so long as there is a logo that incorporates what a tribe, or group is. It's funny, because a couple of American football teams call themselves the "Datu" or Warriors. The Datu was the tribal leader. In fact the most famous, the Datu of Lapu Lapu in Cebo fought the Spaniards tooth and nail. The Datu is a source of pride for the Filipinos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Cleveland doesn’t have the historical clout to pull it off. .

They don't? Their World Series drought is older than most teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.