The Continental Basketball League: A History - Project Over

mungojerry311

• mungojerry311 changed the title to The Continental Basketball League: A History - Update (and Cannons Uni Unveiled)

I'm back everyone (at least for this update anyway). As often happens I got distracted by other things and this project fell by the wayside. However I have not forgotten about this project.

I've decided to switch to using Illustrator to make the logos for this project, since that appears to be the standard on these forums. I was previously making the logos in Photoshop simply because I'm familiar with it. Going forward, the problem is that I have no experience with Illustrator in the slightest, so I'll need to learn the program which could take a while.

In the meantime, I've created the Philadelphia Cannons uniform:

YOXqF3y.png

The name indirectly references the city's role in the nation's wars, most notably the Civil War. The purple and silver color scheme was chosen because the team's owner, Alan Chester, is the CEO of a chain of gas stations located throughout eastern PA which uses that color scheme.

That's it for now. If anybody has any advice on learning Illustrator to give me, that would be awesome. As always, any and all C&C about anything I've posted so far is encouraged and appreciated.

spacer.pngspacer.png

6 minutes ago, mungojerry311 said:

I'm back everyone (at least for this update anyway). As often happens I got distracted by other things and this project fell by the wayside. However I have not forgotten about this project.

I've decided to switch to using Illustrator to make the logos for this project, since that appears to be the standard on these forums. I was previously making the logos in Photoshop simply because I'm familiar with it. Going forward, the problem is that I have no experience with Illustrator in the slightest, so I'll need to learn the program which could take a while.

In the meantime, I've created the Philadelphia Cannons uniform:

YOXqF3y.png

The name indirectly references the city's role in the nation's wars, most notably the Civil War. The purple and silver color scheme was chosen because the team's owner, Alan Chester, is the CEO of a chain of gas stations located throughout eastern PA which uses that color scheme.

That's it for now. If anybody has any advice on learning Illustrator to give me, that would be awesome. As always, any and all C&C about anything I've posted so far is encouraged and appreciated.

Keep in mind that most uniforms were fairly simple and plain by 1938.

Also to keep in mind that some teams folded or relocated after just two years in the early histories of the real life leagues.

2 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Keep in mind that most uniforms were fairly simple and plain by 1938.

Also to keep in mind that some teams folded or relocated after just two years in the early histories of the real life leagues. 

I know. The striping on the sleeves and neck will be the fanciest teams will get until at least the 50s. Boston, New York, and Philadelphia have them because they are major market teams owned by wealthy businessmen and so they can afford it. Providence and Albany don't have any because being in minor markets, they are more strapped for cash. Pittsburgh, being mid-market, only has the neck striping. That's my thinking anyway.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• mungojerry311 changed the title to The Continental Basketball League: A History - Cannons Logo Unveiled and Short Update

Turns out it didn't take me that long to learn Illustrator after all. I was able to find a course on Udemy for a reasonable price and away I went. Now, allow me to present the first ever graphic I've ever made with Illustrator. Naturally it is the Cannons' logo:

ktw6bd2.png

The logo resembles the team's namesake with a purple wheel and a silver gray barrel. The city name appears in white at the top of the wheel. Let me tell you, this was soooo much easier to make in Illustrator than in Photoshop. I think I just might use Illustrator to make graphics going forward.

This brings me to my last point. I've decided to make my own brand new basketball jersey template for this thread using Illustrator. This might also take some time, but I think it'll be worth the wait.  As always, any and all C&C about anything I've posted so far is encouraged and appreciated.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

I like all of what you have done so far, this seems to be a very ambitious project. I am curious to see how you will deal with expansion and folding for franchises. I am too interested what kind of team you will put in the Cleveland area.

cleveland_ghosts_legendary_players_by_ve

• mungojerry311 changed the title to The Continental Basketball League: A History - Short Template Update

With the recent responses. I'd like to show what I have so far for the template:

spacer.png

Yep, that's it. Just the shorts. By the way, those are the shorter length ones used in basketball all the way until at least the 1990s when the longer length ones came about. I'd like to make the template switchable from the shorter shorts to the longer ones but I cannot figure out how to do that, nor how to add color to the different sections. Those are easily done in Photoshop, but not in Illustrator.  As for the jersey part, try as I might, I cannot get the proportions to my liking. I really should have envisioned this considering my inexperience with graphic design.

It's beginning to look more and more like I'll have to end this project before it actually gets off the ground like the last project I tried to do. Perhaps what I really need is to take a college course on graphic design, but I really don't want to have it come to that. I'm no SFGiants58 and I've never claimed to be. I guess we'll see what happens.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• 8 months later...

Just thought I'd post for the first time in nine months to say that yes, this project is over. Just like the Midwest Hockey League, it was over before it even got off the ground. It seems that I'm just not good at this graphic design thing. I was hoping that I'd be able to improve my skills this way, but that didn't happen. Like I posted back in March, I'm no @SFGiants58 and I've never claimed to be. Perhaps I really do need to take a college course on graphic design before even thinking about posting again.

My apologies for the negativity, I just wanted to post this to let people know what happened.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• mungojerry311 changed the title to The Continental Basketball League: A History - Project Over
  • Atomic locked this topic

Archived