Unpopular Sports Opinions

JerseyJimmy

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Multiple reasons, but the biggest ones being that it sets a cap on how much damage the incompetency of the officials can inflict and prevents the power play from becoming such a huge advantage that 5-on-5 play is still the most important focus of the game.

There would be a lot of scoring, from the standpoint of goals.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

From what I've read, whoever the Oilers enforcer was would get into a fight, then 99 & co. would go wild on the 4 on 4 opportunity.

At least that's less egregiously arbitrary than that dumb trapezoid b/c Brodeur was too good at puckhandling.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

25 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

There would be a lot of scoring, from the standpoint of goals.

Maybe. The power plays would be more valuable than they are now, which would mean the officials would be more hesitant to call them, which means there'd be fewer penalties. Also, if say, the Penguins score 3 goals on the same powerplay in the first five minutes of the game then they'd just sit on the lead for the remaining 55 minutes rather than attacking for a full game. 

I just like ending the power play after a goal for the same reason why it'd be silly for the NBA to play "make it take" rules. It keeps things level and has a resetting effect. It just kind of makes sense that once the objective is achieved that everything would go back to the normal 5on5 play instead of however many more seconds of a team on a man advantage. Also, the punishment on minor penalties matches the crime fairly equitably. Take hooking - If you hook a guy in the course of the game you've maybe prevented one goal so it just makes sense then that the maximum punishment for the penalty is one goal. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

yup, right place for unpopular.

Moving a team that has been in the National League since 1887?  Unthinkable

If anything move the pirates to the NL east, 

WSna22D.gif

YKBcuDz.png
I am the guy who loves Wisconsin

1 minute ago, DiePerske said:

that's an idea I can 100% get behind. Besides the whole issue of, who are you going to bump. Atlanta or Miami might get the shaft.

i think atlanta would join then cause its closer

WSna22D.gif

YKBcuDz.png
I am the guy who loves Wisconsin

MLB playoffs should be expanded to 8 teams per league. Baseball interest is closed to three quarters of the league's markets once you get to late August, and that doesn't seem to be good for long-term health of the league.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And oh, so I'm posting relevant to the topic.

NHL should contract a team and move back to the ideal 6x5 divison format.

NHL should use no touch icing

Reinstate the two line pass

NFL:

Introduce the rouge

move to a 110 yard field

and opinion wise, cfl is better than NFL

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

23 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

And oh, so I'm posting relevant to the topic.

NHL should contract a team and move back to the ideal 6x5 divison format.

NHL should use no touch icing

Reinstate the two line pass

NFL:

Introduce the rouge

move to a 110 yard field

and opinion wise, cfl is better than NFL

This. It can't be unpopular if it's true.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

On 9/17/2018 at 11:35 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

P.S. - Don't even try it with that Ichiro nonsense.  Every league apart from the AL and NL (and the historic leagues the American Association, the Union Association, the Federal League, and the Players' League) is a minor league, even if it is the top league in another country such as Japan or Mexico.  And hits obtained in a minor league do not count in a Major League hit total.  The hit king is, and probably always will be, Pete Rose. (Unless somebody wants to check on Razor Shines's record with Indianapolis.)

Going by that logic, none of Ichiro's hits when he was playing in Japan count because he wasn't playing against the best baseball players in the world, all of whom according to you ONLY have played in MLB, then none of the Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb or Lou Gehrig or Walter Johnson or ANY player who played in the mlb before 1947 count because they sure as hell weren't playing against the all of the best baseball players of the world, right? You know Satchel Page, Josh Gibson.

As for unpopular opinions, when a particular city is home to more than one pro team in one of the big 4 pro leagues in the US/Canada, all of the teams MUST have the same color scheme, like Pittsburgh does with the Steelers/Pirates/Penguins. This would lead to some interesting looks and possible name changes for some teams.

2 minutes ago, tjs11 said:

I had to look this up. Seems like it would really change the game, and could be really cool. Could you share some more insight on why you are for it? 

1. I like the CFL better.

But, if i were to give a presentation to the NFL owners on why it is better, and the league should adopt it:

The NFL is doing everything it can to kill off the kickoff returns. By introducing the rouge, it gives the kicking team an incentive to ALWAYS kick it out of the end zone by awarding them a point. While it is true that returning teams would be more likely to return it out of their end zones, I would counter that most teams would still give up the single point in order to get better field position.

5qWs8RS.png

6 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

1. I like the CFL better.

But, if i were to give a presentation to the NFL owners on why it is better, and the league should adopt it:

The NFL is doing everything it can to kill off the kickoff returns. By introducing the rouge, it gives the kicking team an incentive to ALWAYS kick it out of the end zone by awarding them a point. While it is true that returning teams would be more likely to return it out of their end zones, I would counter that most teams would still give up the single point in order to get better field position.

That's a fair argument! How does that affect scores? How many games are decided by the kicking game at that point? Are you able to potentially score 9 pts on a play TD/conversion/kickoff? It's a point with punting too right? Again, I'm think it's interesting and I'd probably be fore it. Just very intrigued on how it changes the whole strategy of the game.

2 minutes ago, tjs11 said:

That's a fair argument! How does that affect scores? How many games are decided by the kicking game at that point? Are you able to potentially score 9 pts on a play TD/conversion/kickoff? It's a point with punting too right? Again, I'm think it's interesting and I'd probably be fore it. Just very intrigued on how it changes the whole strategy of the game.

The kicking team is the one that would be scoring the rouge. So, lets say a team is now up by seven points after a TD/conversion. They kick it out of the end zone for a rouge, games now an 8 point spread. 

Or even better, up by three and kick one? now the team is down by four points, and they go into desperation TD mode.

5qWs8RS.png

On 9/21/2018 at 8:09 PM, DG_Now said:

MLB playoffs should be expanded to 8 teams per league. Baseball interest is closed to three quarters of the league's markets once you get to late August, and that doesn't seem to be good for long-term health of the league.

I don't hate it and here's the reason: First, the Mariners would make the playoffs once in a while. Second, the last 3 World Series winners laid out the blueprint for how to win the World Series by sucking hard for a while. As a result The ProcessTM is currently happening in at least 10 of the league's 30 markets, if not half. 1/3 of the league is actively not trying their hardest to win the most games they can and it's caused this huge disparity between the good teams and the bad teams and you have a lot of non-competitive series. If you go to an NBA/NHL style tournament then it incentivizes trying to win more games and tanking isn't as necessary. The Baseball playoffs played in that format would be more wackadoo than either the NBA or NHL too.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The bitching was off the charts when the 2006 Cardinals won 83 games on the heels of two 100+ win seasons but won the World Series. I'd hate to see a 79-win Angels team win the World Series, especially not even as an outlier season. But I guess we gotta get Mike Trout back in October one way or another.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived