Jump to content

Driveball Super League (Driveball In Japan)


Matthew24
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, It been awhile since i posted on this site that was not comments. I had a League called the CSFL and it didn't work out well since i was new. Since something locked me out of from logging in to my old account i decided to upload my first concept piece to this site.

 

This is Driveball Japan aka the National Driveball Super League (DSL for short).

QoyyzLL.png

 

This was an idea sprung up by a comment i said on Neo Prankster Driveball Story. I honestly like to do weird sports idea and creating a driveball league in Japan would be a cool idea. I finally got a good art program call PaintDotNet installed on my desktop and i like what i have been doing. I don't know if i would continue making sports fan fiction like my CSFL. But so far i enjoy coming up with the teams i made for the DSL.

 

So first team up is the first team i made. The ORIX Neptunes from Osaka, Japan.

 

VYKljWl.png

 

ORIX Neptunes

Location: Osaka, Japan

Founded: 2000

Field: Osaka Dome (Currently), Kobe Sports Park Baseball Stadium (Formally, Now Secondary Stadium)

Driveball Japan Series: 3 (2004,2005,2013)

Bio:

The team that would become the Neptunes started out differently. When the Yokohama Clippers relocation failed to happened. The ORIX Group founder, Yoshihiko Miyauchi, was upset by the decisions that he almost started his own rival league. However, then DSL President, Satoshi Sawai promised him that a team will be granted for the 2000 era of expansion. Originally called the Blue Wave DBC, Miyauchi was forced to changed when it became clear it would caused confusion. Miyauchi decided to keep the water theme and dubbed his team the Neptunes. Using Neppie and Ripsea from the Blue Wave being the teams part time mascots (the two would become permanent Mascots after then merger/re-branding of the ORIX Blue Wave and Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes), they have the recent Driveball Japan Series three times. With their last title in 2013, they have been out of playoff contention since 2016. But with a new and improved side, the team is looking to regain the fans they lost to the rival Osaka Reds and capture another title for their trophy case.

Team Uniforms:

6AuRMH2.png

 

Hope you guys enjoy the series i created. Hopefully i will get better at using software like PaintDotNet and others. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask and i will answer them the best I can.

 

(BTW the logo of the Neptunes came from Pixabay. Hopefully I wont get in trouble for using it but since the site allowed me to have it for free i shouldn't be in any trouble?)

 

Driveball was created by @neo_prankster

 

(Side note, I fixed it to were it said Panasonic before is now National since it their name in Japan. My Bad..)

Edited by Matthew24
Corrections.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here you go. I also decided to redesign the jerseys since i did forget to add numbers to it. I think i will maybe have one or two teams that wont have numbers on the top or side. I know the next team won't though since i think it looks better without it.

 

3dF2DmS.png

 

How you liking the series btw. I'm looking to get better at it. Still a long way to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright, time for the second team from my concept league. Also from Osaka (Though not originally from the city), the Osaka Reds!

 

LzoSZ8y.png

 

Founded; 1984 (Originally from Urawa, Japan)

Field: Osaka Dome (Currently), Urawa Komaba Stadium (Former Stadium)

Driveball Japan Series Titles: 6 (1989, 1990, 1991,1996,1999,2009)

Notes:

The Urawa Reds were a respectable team with really good talent. Though attendance was bad. They were also an financial strain to the league. So the team was bought by the Konosuke Family in 1988 for 700,000 yen. Surprisingly, the team would their first title in 1989. a year after the move. And then the titles just kept coming. Their last title was in 2009 in a memorable title game against their rival, Tokyo Raiders. The Reds would tie the game and with the last minute of the game, score a goal to seal the game for the Reds. Despite not being a title contender in years. The Reds are overdue for another championship run.

Team Uniforms:

0NYTQdT.png

 

The Osaka Reds are sponsor by the Kansai Electric Power Company.

Hope you guys enjoy this one. Till next time, have a great day.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, RichardWitham said:

also, in japan Panasonic is called national

Hm? Honestly didn't know that. I will fix that. Guess it like JVC in a way.

 

Besides that, how do you like the series?

 

I gotta ask. I know there some flaws in this concept series but what do you guys think? Honest opinions okay.

Edited by Matthew24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the next team to be completed. Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Flyers

nzFMbgm.png (Don't ask why the lines are like that. I have no clue?)

 

Location: Sapporo, Japan

Founded: 2001

Field: Sapporo Dome (Currently), Sapporo Atsubetsu Stadium (Formally, Now Secondary Stadium)

Driveball Japan Series: None

Notes:

The early 2000’s were a good time for Driveball Super League. Profit was up and with it came expansion. Nippon-Ham (owners of the Fighters of the NPB), decided to test the waters for Sports in Hokkaido. On July 3th, 2000, the DSL added the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Flyers to the league. Playing their games temporarily in the smaller Sapporo Atsubetsu Stadiums until the Sapporo Dome was completed for their 2002 season. The league have been the mid tier team of the league. Mostly finishing around 5 to 8 place in the standings. They are usually known to upset the favorites before the end of the season. Despite good support from the people of Sapporo. The league is considering of ending the team lease as the owners, Nippon-Ham, have been more focus on Baseball then Driveball. It will be a rocky road for the Flyers and only time will tell if the team will survive.

 

Team Uniforms:

FIj6s0Z.png

 

As usual, any advice would be great. Till next time, have a great day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like you're just typing rather than creating wordmarks and logos. Consider, for instance, the R in the Reds logo. It looks like you just hit "italic" and then typed. But the slant of the R is slightly different from the diagonals in the diamond, and the result is visual jarring because they are almost but not quite parallel. That's just one example. It also seems like you're using the fonts that come installed in your computer. Oh, my gosh, there's a whole world of wonderful free fonts that are great for wordmarks (and, honestly, little else). Don't just use what's on hand. Hunt around online and find *a few* fonts that would work well with what you do, make sure you have the correct rights for them, download, and experiment away. And I have to stress that you need to try a few fonts before settling on the right one. And you've got to kern your lettering. Make sure things fit well and look nice. That is not going to happen from just typing because the relationship between letters in plain text is different from what it is in a wordmark.

And yes, you can do all of these things in Paint. It just takes more time. For instance, since you don't have kerning tools, you have to enter and manipulate each letter individually, but it is possible.

Beyond that, I'd recommend checking out a free drawing program like Inkscape. There's a slight learning curve (though it comes installed with a tutorial), but you can do so much more with more tools at your disposal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Whittier S said:

It looks like you're just typing rather than creating wordmarks and logos. Consider, for instance, the R in the Reds logo. It looks like you just hit "italic" and then typed. But the slant of the R is slightly different from the diagonals in the diamond, and the result is visual jarring because they are almost but not quite parallel. That's just one example. It also seems like you're using the fonts that come installed in your computer. Oh, my gosh, there's a whole world of wonderful free fonts that are great for wordmarks (and, honestly, little else). Don't just use what's on hand. Hunt around online and find *a few* fonts that would work well with what you do, make sure you have the correct rights for them, download, and experiment away. And I have to stress that you need to try a few fonts before settling on the right one. And you've got to kern your lettering. Make sure things fit well and look nice. That is not going to happen from just typing because the relationship between letters in plain text is different from what it is in a wordmark.

And yes, you can do all of these things in Paint. It just takes more time. For instance, since you don't have kerning tools, you have to enter and manipulate each letter individually, but it is possible.

Beyond that, I'd recommend checking out a free drawing program like Inkscape. There's a slight learning curve (though it comes installed with a tutorial), but you can do so much more with more tools at your disposal.

I doubt I will get the time to use inkscape. I'm just trying to do my best. Never said I was that good at art. I just wanted to do a proof of concept idea. Thats all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody starts out good at art. It takes practice and time, just like with anything. Generally speaking, our culture here on the boards is less "Here it is!" and more "Here it is; how can I make it better?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Whittier S said:

Nobody starts out good at art. It takes practice and time, just like with anything. Generally speaking, our culture here on the boards is less "Here it is!" and more "Here it is; how can I make it better?"

True.. Guess i should have waited on doing it. I could always go back later and redo them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You learn by doing ? I'm not telling you to not post until you get an art degree or something. Virtually everything posted on these boards needs revision. We're here to help each other out in that process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Whittier S said:

You learn by doing ? I'm not telling you to not post until you get an art degree or something. Virtually everything posted on these boards needs revision. We're here to help each other out in that process.

Well should i continue what im doing. I only uploaded 3 of the potential 14 teams of the league. (Still work on them)

 

I do plan to revise the idea later and use better tools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd work on refining these before moving on. It can be sooo tempting to just move on to the next concept--especially so when you're in a series because you want to see the whole series come into being. If you take these first three concepts and refine them, then what you learn in the refining process will carry over to the remaining concepts. I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Project Runway and they literally just said, "Design is solving problems." So consider how to resolve the problems here and then move on. And remember that this is a process we all go through, including the most seasoned and spectacular designers on here.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Whittier S said:

I'd work on refining these before moving on. It can be sooo tempting to just move on to the next concept--especially so when you're in a series because you want to see the whole series come into being. If you take these first three concepts and refine them, then what you learn in the refining process will carry over to the remaining concepts. I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Project Runway and they literally just said, "Design is solving problems." So consider how to resolve the problems here and then move on. And remember that this is a process we all go through, including the most seasoned and spectacular designers on here.

 

Alright. guess this project is on hold till i fix the designs i have uploaded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd also make the uniform designs a bit different - having the shoulders be a different color can be a great look, but it's a little strange to see an entire league sport the same uniform template. I'd also add more stripes, but not too many, particularly on the pants and socks. This series has a lot of potential - I feel like some of these uniforms are 'trying to do too much', particularly the last one. With Hokkaido's jersey, keeping the purple and blue separate and removing the dark green might help with the color scheme (I'd make the F logo lime green). With the Neptunes, I'd pick either light or dark blue (unless they're like the Chargers and use one as a retro color) - it would make things look more consistent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.