2018-19 NHL Season

ninersdd

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

why is hockey twitter so dreadfully unfunny?

They're all sour that they got stuck being hockey fans instead of NBA fans, it's like when your middle school feeds to two high schools and you can't hang out with all your friends.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Bagel said:

Here's what Gary Bettman had to say about Carolina's postgame celebrations:

c90k4m90p0j21.jpg

The thing about it is...and I know this is true because I’ve seen the attendance numbers and tv numbers...that the ‘Canes are doing this in front of an apathetic market that by and large doesn’t care about their existence.

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

They're all sour that they got stuck being hockey fans instead of NBA fans, it's like when your middle school feeds to two high schools and you can't hang out with all your friends.

It seems more fun over there, but ATTHEENDOFTHEDAY I've just never been able to enjoy actually watching the sport that is NBA basketball, now more than ever. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

To circle back to everyone getting mad at the Blue Jackets for trying to make the playoffs, I think a lot of the antipathy comes from Lambert types who want the Bolts to be like an NBA team that reduces the whole season and postseason to a coronation, because that's more legitimate than a bunch of upsets, and if a jury-rigged bunch like the Blue Jackets or anyone else knocks off Tampa, then everything is illegitimate. And why is it more legitimate to have a non-competitive postseason than a competitive one? Because that's what the NBA does. Never mind that we've had one Stanley Cup champion in the last thirtysomething years (2006) where the team didn't win on the backs of multiple Hall of Famers.

The Caps beat the (division-leading!) Islanders 3-1 last night. At the beginning of the season, this would’ve been seen as routine. Now it’s rightfully being called a huge win. 

I havent really commented in Barry Trotz and the Islanders yet, mostly because I’ve not paid a whole lot of attention to the NHL outside of the Capitals. But now that he has a ring, I think his name must seriously be thrown into the ring of the best coaches of our generation. 

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

The Caps beat the (division-leading!) Islanders 3-1 last night. At the beginning of the season, this would’ve been seen as routine. Now it’s rightfully being called a huge win. 

I havent really commented in Barry Trotz and the Islanders yet, mostly because I’ve not paid a whole lot of attention to the NHL outside of the Capitals. But now that he has a ring, I think his name must seriously be thrown into the ring of the best coaches of our generation. 

Crabcake47, as an Islander fan, I can truly say the guy is a great coach. He's taken a team that lost it's best player and changed the locker room and I haven't seen them play this consistently in years. The Islanders have had some loafers there for a few years who are playing at a higher level than they ever played at. I know there's a long way to go this season but I'm sold.  I'm glad you guys got the ring finally(Ovi especially), hopefully, Trotz will have another one soon. I follow the Caps a lot and he is definitely in the ring for one of the best coaches of this generation.

He has his ring, and he deserves credit for getting a bunch of mediocre Perds teams into tournaments on the left-wing lock, Shea Weber slapshots, and hope, but off the top of my head he's behind Quenneville, Babcock, Julien, Sutter, Hitchcock, and Laviolette, and since Trotz goes all the way back to 1998 you could probably argue Tortorella and Pat Burns, too, and if you even wanted to argue putting Alain Vigneault ahead, I'd hear you out. Maybe he's just one of the coaches of this generation.

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

He has his ring, and he deserves credit for getting a bunch of mediocre Perds teams into tournaments on the left-wing lock, Shea Weber slapshots, and hope, but off the top of my head he's behind Quenneville, Babcock, Julien, Sutter, Hitchcock, and Laviolette, and since Trotz goes all the way back to 1998 you could probably argue Tortorella and Pat Burns, too, and if you even wanted to argue putting Alain Vigneault ahead, I'd hear you out. Maybe he's just one of the coaches of this generation.

Yeah, you're right about all those coaches you mentioned being great coaches and the fact that stupid Mike Milbury couldn't get along with Laviolette still pisses me off. That's a lot of great coaches to choose from this generation. Jeez, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

On the flip side? Jon Cooper is a schmuck who’s riding an unbelievably talented roster, Steve Yzerman’s good vibes, and sunny weather to successful seasons. 

Dude’s the most overrated coach I’ve seen in a long while. 

51 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

On the flip side? Jon Cooper is a schmuck who’s riding an unbelievably talented roster, Steve Yzerman’s good vibes, and sunny weather to successful seasons. 

Dude’s the most overrated coach I’ve seen in a long while. 

I just wrote a little bit about this last night very early this morning. Since you brought him up, I'll share it here. Emphasis on the two meatier paragraphs.

I'm as much of a Cooper-skeptic as anyone else here, but I think this is way too narrow a view and it's disingenuous to not be giving a head coach some credit for keeping a team's engine going like this. 

Yes, the ability to exploit line matchups and develop schemes to create attacks/limit attacks in your end is a huge part of the job. Another big part of it is man management. I'm not sure that's always been a strength of Cooper, but he's clearly doing something right with respect to that this year.

That being said - who are the best head coaches he's faced in the playoffs during his career? Probably Babcock, Quenneville, Sullivan, and Trotz. Honorable mention to Vigneault. Against those five, his teams have won two out of five times, lost the other three, and both wins went seven games, one of which was against a markedly inferior team (Babcock 2015). The bigger issue that has recurred over the years is, when the Lightning have home ice advantage, they don't tend to keep it or do much with it; under Cooper, the Lightning are 2-6 in Game 1 when they've played at home for that game. They are constantly fighting an uphill challenge before the series has really gotten off the ground. In the meetings against those five head coaches, the Lightning are 6-11 in their 17 home games. It's a frustrating thing; if you add up the Lightning's playoff road records in 2015 (8-5), 2016 (5-3), and 2018 (5-2), you get an 18-10 record, a .643 win percentage. If you're winning 64% of your road games in the playoffs, you should be winning multiple Cups. All of that has been completely wasted with their home records in that time; 6-7 in 2015, 6-3 in 2016 (only 3-3 after round one), and 6-4 last year (only 3-4 after round one), cumulatively adding up to 18-14. Not good enough. Not good enough at all. 

You guys ever wonder why this year has an all-or-nothing feel to it? We've arguably had the most talented rosters in the NHL for the last few seasons now. We unquestionably did last year. There's no shame in losing to the dynasty 'Hawks in 2015, even despite the 2-1 lead after three games. They were a better team and took their chances better than we did. But we blew a 3-2 lead in 2016 in the ECF, and we blew a 3-2 lead last year as well. In both years, I believe we win the Final if we finish out those series. On another timeline, the Lightning are the current Cup-winning powerhouse in the NHL, not Pittsburgh. I don't know where that timeline is, nor how to access it. But the timeline we do exist on is begging for the Lightning to finally show their Cup winning credibility. It's already very tenuous after those defeats the last two playoff years, but if the Lightning fail to do the job once again, and at least get out of the East, then forget it. Nobody will ever buy stock in us again, as is. Nor should they.

As usual, it went from answering a basic question (thread title was "is Cooper our weak link?) and eventually transitioned into my usual stream-of-conscious whateverness.

spacer.png

On 2/27/2019 at 3:04 PM, Ice_Cap said:

The thing about it is...and I know this is true because I’ve seen the attendance numbers and tv numbers...that the ‘Canes are doing this in front of an apathetic market that by and large doesn’t care about their existence.

How is that "the thing"? If they did nothing, you would be saying that they aren't doing anything to connect with their fanbase. You can't outright dismiss something because it hasn't moved the needle in a quarter of the season.

If you "know this is true" because of the numbers, then you also know that the numbers have nowhere to go but up. Things like this is how you make that happen. 

10 minutes ago, OMMF said:

How is that "the thing"? If they did nothing, you would be saying that they aren't doing anything to connect with their fanbase. You can't outright dismiss something because it hasn't moved the needle in a quarter of the season.

If you "know this is true" because of the numbers, then you also know that the numbers have nowhere to go but up. Things like this is how you make that happen. 

It doesn't matter. The Hurricanes committed the ultimate sin of moving from Hartford. Some people will never forgive them for that. Whatever the team or players on the team do will forever be invalid in people's eyes because of the location they play in.

24 minutes ago, OMMF said:

You know I'd be saying that if they weren't doing that, eh? No, you don't, because I wouldn't.

My point is that it's a team with relatively few eyeballs on it and they're doing this stuff. I didn't even know they were doing this until the Don Cherry controversy. And not even when he said that. I wasn't watching Coach's Corner that night. I found out afterwards, after the Hurricanes came out with their "jerks" shirts.

So when a team does something that silly and they, statistically, don't seem to have many eyeballs on them? It's like when you're a short guy with a small-man complex talking :censored: , only getting noticed because you finally caught someone else's attention.

People are going to plunk down on season tickets to watch choreographed post-game dances? Nah.

The Hurricanes' attendance problem is simple. Win, and get people to show up. You might get some new viewers in the short term, but all the nonsense after the game won't matter if they're losing. The team's doing kind of ok this season, but attendance will either remain stagnant or go up depending on how much they win.

10 minutes ago, The Six said:

It doesn't matter. The Hurricanes committed the ultimate sin of moving from Hartford. Some people will never forgive them for that. Whatever the team or players on the team do will forever be invalid in people's eyes because of the location they play in.

So it's a pro-Hartford/anti-Raleigh bias on my part that imagined the 'Canes' low attendance and tv ratings?

Archived