2018-19 NHL Season

ninersdd

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

I'll point out that Carolina's attendance is actually up this year... a whopping (/s) 650 fans a night. They're still the 4th-worst drawing team in the NHL, ahead of New Jersey, Florida and the Islanders.

4th worst in average attendance, dead last in capacity percentage. Last season, 3rd last in average, last in percentage. Two seasons ago, last in average, last in percentage. Three seasons ago, last and last. Four seasons ago, 2nd last and 2nd last. Five seasons ago, 23/30 and 27/30. Six seasons ago, 17/30 and 23/30.

(And for whatever it's worth, this season, 2nd to last in average road attendance, dead last in average road capacity percentage.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Blue Jackets SUUUUUCK.

I think Tortorella has lost the room. Haven't seen a solid effort since they beat San Jose on February 23rd and his line blender where he seemingly picks names out of a hat and throws them on the ice isn't helping. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Did your team refuse to trade its pending UFAs who are definitely leaving at the deadline, traded for more UFAs, and will still miss the playoffs? Well, lemme tell ya, it’s great!

Jackets went from playing a long game to playing a short one and, well, LOL.

6fQjS3M.png

Somehow the Minnesota Wild beat the Tampa Bay Lightning, IN TAMPA, off a hat trick from the *almost traded* Jason Zucker. This team has points in the last 8 games. 

I have no clue why the team who’s core was traded away for the most part is doing this well... 

(We’ll see about playoffs, however)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Carey Price let in 8 goals against the worst offensive team in the NHL. If he's going to remain lackluster, he should have helped the Habs tank, but then he got on one too many winning sequences against average teams only to go back to his losing ways, once the tank was ruined. He loses at winning and he loses at losing: a double whammy!

He makes 10.5 million for 8 years. That's the wrong..price...for a goaltender who falls apart this easily, instead of dominating the competition...

On 3/8/2019 at 11:32 PM, habsfan1 said:

Carey Price let in 8 goals against the worst offensive team in the NHL. If he's going to remain lackluster, he should have helped the Habs tank, but then he got on one too many winning sequences against average teams only to go back to his losing ways, once the tank was ruined. He loses at winning and he loses at losing: a double whammy!

Carey Price is 0-5-0 in Anaheim and 3-10-1 in California.

I'm walking my way back off the ledge after finally beating Pittsburgh in something (that was 8 straight losses to the Penguins, 8 straight Bengals losses to the Steelers). Actually got a couple bounces to fall their way, the Penguins only got one of their requisite terrible calls, and it was the best game Matt Duchene's played in a blue jacket. That game that was a couple paddle saves by Murray away from being a blowout. If they play like that every night they could win it all (they won't). 

Need Carolina to knock it off, Montreal to falter, and I'll be good with a first wildcard and a rematch with probably Washington. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'm walking my way back off the ledge after finally beating Pittsburgh in something (that was 8 straight losses to the Penguins, 8 straight Bengals losses to the Steelers). Actually got a couple bounces to fall their way, the Penguins only got one of their requisite terrible calls, and it was the best game Matt Duchene's played in a blue jacket. That game that was a couple paddle saves by Murray away from being a blowout. If they play like that every night they could win it all (they won't). 

Need Carolina to knock it off, Montreal to falter, and I'll be good with a first wildcard and a rematch with probably Washington. 

And the Reds have lost 8 of the last 9, 10 of 12 to the Pirates, if that matters.

The Blue Jackets are such a strange thing to watch from the outside. Should they indeed miss the playoffs, it'll be strange to think that Columbus will be the center of NHL offseason intrigue. Where do Bobrovsky/Panarin go? What happens with Duchene? Is this Tortorella's fault and he's out? Is it Kekalainen's fault and he's out? Can they somehow keep their :censored: together and make a competitive team for next season, or are they back to being the Beej of old?

Just when you think the Blue Jackets have turned the corner, they might realize they are indeed the Blue Jackets and falter.

21 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

And the Reds have lost 8 of the last 9, 10 of 12 to the Pirates, if that matters.

It does matter! Goddamnit

21 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The Blue Jackets are such a strange thing to watch from the outside. Should they indeed miss the playoffs, it'll be strange to think that Columbus will be the center of NHL offseason intrigue. Where do Bobrovsky/Panarin go? What happens with Duchene? Is this Tortorella's fault and he's out? Is it Kekalainen's fault and he's out? Can they somehow keep their :censored: together and make a competitive team for next season, or are they back to being the Beej of old?

Just when you think the Blue Jackets have turned the corner, they might realize they are indeed the Blue Jackets and falter.

It sucks because no matter what happens their shelf-life is very clear and very near and they mortgaged the future for this. I was on board when they acquired the deadline acquisitions because in theory it was supposed to make the team better and it would be fine if they were playing like they should be. I would've gladly given up what they gave up to win A playoff series for the first time, but now I have no confidence in even making the playoffs. Every game this team plays is one game closer to next season when they'll be worse*. There's a chance all 4 of those big UFAs walk after this season (better chance if they miss the playoffs or get crushed by Tampa in a 3 game sweep) and if they don't win a playoff series then all of this, the last 3 years, the best era in team history will come and go without ever really winning anything. It's been fun, but not as fun as it could've been.

If they miss the playoffs Tortorella is probably gone and I'd welcome the change. Handed a contender on a silver platter and his players stopped scoring, stopped skating hard, can't beat other playoff teams, has a curiously bad home record, and can't win games in front of big crowds. I think the room has tuned him out.

Kekalainen will stay because management likes what he's done and he's presided over the most successful period in team history. It took Doug Maclean and Scott Howson forever to get fired and both did 5 times as much damage. I hope he can make some trades to pull in some draft picks and land some NHL offensive help. 

Regardless of how deep they go Bobrovsky, Panarin, and Duchene all walk. My prediction is Bob and Panarin go to Florida. No idea for Duchene. Wouldn't be surprised if Dzingel signs an extension and they find another middling free agent center like Kevin Hayes or Derrick Brassard. I'd love to sign Jeff Skinner, but I don't see it happening. 

*The team next year won't be bad, but we have one pick, a third rounder, and very little help coming from Cleveland. They still have a decent core with Cam Atkinson, PL Dubois, Boone Jenner, Josh Anderson, Nick Foligno, Seth Jones, David Savard, and Markus Nutivaara. Zach Werenski and Ryan Murray will be RFAs after this season, but that'll get handled and they'll be CBJs next year. So defense will be one of the better units in the league, offense will need some free agent help or trade one of those defenseman, or they're not scoring goals. Offense will lose Panarin and center depth when Duchene leaves and who the phuk knows what they're going to do in net. Joonas Korpisalo isn't the answer. Sign Cam Talbot? Bring in Elvis Merzlikens from Europe and hope he's ready? It's a mystery. 

GAHHHH!

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

If they miss the playoffs Tortorella is probably gone and I'd welcome the change. Handed a contender on a silver platter and his players stopped scoring, stopped skating hard, can't beat other playoff teams, has a curiously bad home record, and can't win games in front of big crowds. I think the room has tuned him out.

That’s about right. Tortorella has a shelf-life of 3-5 years for any team before the lockeroom just gets fed up with hardass schtick and tunes him out. Happened in Tampa, happened in New York. Never even got started in Vancouver, but that was fun for other reasons. 

Realistically? The Jackets are about where they should be on the Torts Progression Scale. 

Archived