2018-19 NHL Season

ninersdd

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan O'Reilly for I Dunno Some Stuff feels like it's among the bigger lose-lose trades in a while. Not that I'm that surprised: O'Reilly is a gaping black hole of team success everywhere he goes, it's just that I thought the return would help the Sabres more. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Ryan O'Reilly for I Dunno Some Stuff feels like it's among the bigger lose-lose trades in a while. Not that I'm that surprised: O'Reilly is a gaping black hole of team success everywhere he goes, it's just that I thought the return would help the Sabres more. 

That 2019 first round pick is looking unexpectedly nice, and honestly I think there was a lot of addition by subtraction there. A guy that would drunkenly hit a Tim Hortons with his truck and drive away truly has a dark heart.

Corey Crawford has a concussion and thus the Hawks nowadays resemble the mid 2000s without him.  Just feels weird to see them with a bad record and some young looking dude behind the bench.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I was gone for a few days and not paying attention so I don't know what exactly happened, but speculation is that the Flyers are going to fire Dave Hakstol in the next day or two and hire Joel Quenville.  Not sure if there was any particular incident that occurred, or just because they suck and have a new GM, but some in the media are saying to expect a presser in the next day or two.

EDIT: at least one report claims that Hakstol has already been fired.

http://www.philly.com/flyers/dave-hakstol-firing-flyers-coach-rumors-updates-joel-quinneville-20181216.html

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/12/winds-of-change-thoughts-on-what-looks-to-be-a-busy-week-for-the-flyers.html

http://www.philly.com/flyers/flyers-coaching-change-dave-hakstol-ken-hitchcock-20181217.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seeing Corey Crawford get his brain racked into a steel post when he still probably hasn't fully healed from his last concussion genuinely made me sad. He's one of the best goalies of the 2010s, and they definitely don't win the Cup in 2013 without him. The team's a lost cause this year with or without him, so I hope he just focuses on his health as opposed to getting back on the ice.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I was gone for a few days and not paying attention so I don't know what exactly happened, but speculation is that the Flyers are going to fire Dave Hakstol in the next day or two and hire Joel Quenville.  Not sure if there was any particular incident that occurred, or just because they suck and have a new GM, but some in the media are saying to expect a presser in the next day or two.

EDIT: at least one report claims that Hakstol has already been fired.

http://www.philly.com/flyers/dave-hakstol-firing-flyers-coach-rumors-updates-joel-quinneville-20181216.html

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/12/winds-of-change-thoughts-on-what-looks-to-be-a-busy-week-for-the-flyers.html

http://www.philly.com/flyers/flyers-coaching-change-dave-hakstol-ken-hitchcock-20181217.html

Scott Gordon, some jabroni from the AHL team, will be the interim coach now that it's official:

http://www.philly.com/flyers/scott-gordon-flyers-coach-interim-phantoms-chuck-fletcher-20181217.html

Not sure why you'd screw up your AHL club by removing their coach if you're just going  to hire a permanent one soon.  Seems pretty silly.  Just let one of the assistants run it for a week or so.

EDIT: apparently the "interim" tag will last for the rest of the season, so they're not hiring Quenville or anyone else before the offseason.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Quenneville seamlessly went from NHLer to AHL player-coach to NHL assistant coach to NHL head coach and with few interruptions has been in organized hockey almost all his life. I wouldn't begrudge him a retirement at this point. He won the Cup three times and passed Al Arbour in wins. What's left to do? 

41 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

So the Ducks have decided to go 9-1 over their last 10 and 11-2 over their last 13 and are three points from top in the West (though games in hand are in play), all while currently sporting a -7 goal differential.

Eight of their last 10 wins (and the last four in a row) the Ducks have trailed at some point in the game.

All of this makes no sense. This isn't even like the "John Gibson pulled this game out of his ass" early portion of the season. They'll play an awful 20, then over the next 40, I wouldn't even say they play great over the next 40, but they play and goals just sort of happen. Gibson *is* still playing really good, and Getzlaf has turned it on, but those alone aren't why they're winning.

It's fine. I'm not against winning. But it's stupid.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

20 year old goalie, Carter Hart gets a win in his first NHL game. Granted, it was against the Red Wings and the Flyers are 14-0-1 against them at home, but it is also the 2018-19 Flyers and they were in the Eastern Conference basement. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of Mario Lemieux's game where he scored five goals in all five phases. Wouldn't you know it, the whole game is on YouTube here, with Gary Thorne on the call for SportsChannel New York. 

The penalty shot is at 1:10:00, the empty-netter is at 2:01:00, the other three, I dunno

• 2 weeks later...

The Ducks have lost 9 in a row (0-6-3, including last night's OTL to previously dead last Ottawa, previously losers of 8 in a row), but yet still sit in a playoff spot as the second wild card.

Sigh... I'd almost prefer if they just fell off a cliff. This hanging around (and I presume the only statistical reason Randy Carlyle still has a job) is quite annoying.

Also, somehow, Calgary (CAL-GARY!) is the second team in the league to 60 points. Seriously, how? They employ Mike Smith, for God's sake!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived