2018-19 NHL Season

ninersdd

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

Getting mad at Ovechkin for celebrating in the heat of the moment is unfair, but, having no patience or tolerance for fake spontaneity, criticizing these pre-planned celebrations that the marketing department is fully in on is totally within reason. This is a sequel to All-Star Game Participant John Scott in that Reddit dorks have been so insufferable about the whole thing that the stodgy traditionalists ended up being right all along, but now with the added wrinkle that the team is actively using this to market merchandise to the Reddit dorks. If you would even so much as consider buying this t-shirt, you're such an easy mark that a carnival will come to your town just to personally exploit you, the idiot.

You know what, make the playoffs in a year that starts with "201" and maybe then the time is right to show everyone up with your wacky, Twitter-approved choreographed hijinks. This is like the Super Bowl Shuffle as performed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

EDIT: testimony to the fact that Hurricanes fandom is just a bunch of posters is that this shirt is to be sold in their arena but is based on comments from a television program that does not air in the United States. This shirt is utterly without context to people who don't gavage themselves on Twitter. They'll still sell well.

Ah yes, let's criticize a team trying to grow its fanbase by doing things that their fans connect with and enjoy. Let's not do things that kids enjoy because we don't want to have them grow up and as fans of our team. That would be awful. Let's not have some fun by embracing some criticism that some old man said on national television - you know, the thing that only Reddit dorks and twitter dweebs pay attention to - and put it on a shirt that people can wear. How dare a company promote themselves in the sports and entertainment business. Only Disney is allowed to do that. We should also get rid of mascots and all the other in-arena entertainment because marketing departments shouldn't be involved at all in sporting events.

Give me a break, dude.

spacer.png

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, national television in a nation that is not ours. Drop the sanctimony, no one's falling in love with hockey because guys on a 9th place team slide on their asses after they win.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Bagel said:

Let's not have some fun by embracing some criticism that some old man said on national television

Neither Don Cherry, the CBC, or Rogers Cable should give a :censored: what people in the US think of their NHL broadcasts.

The Moments That Made Us Lifelong Fans

Bobby Orr leaping through the air as the Bruins won the Stanley Cup

The Miracle on Ice

May Day

Lemieux coming back from cancer

Ray Bourque lifting the Cup

Patrick Kane's overtime Cup-winner

Brock McGinn did the Fortnite dance in front of 6,000 people after beating the Blue Jackets in November

It's looking more and more like the Sens are gonna lose their top 3 forwards, because of :censored:ing Eugene Melnyk. As a Sens fan, I'm tired of this absolute horsecrap. Because of one cheap owner, the franchise's all-time leader in points has left the team TWICE, the heir apparent to that was traded away for a bag of pucks, arguably the greatest defensemen of the generation was traded away for ANOTHER bag of pucks, and now this. It's :censored:ing infuriating. You want your attendance numbers to go up? Be a competent owner and PAY YOUR PLAYERS. I have have no :censored:ing clue why I'm still cheering for this dumpster fire. The City of Ottawa is going to erupt when that cheap prick finally sells this team.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

On 2/20/2019 at 3:43 PM, the admiral said:

Again, national television in a nation that is not ours. Drop the sanctimony, no one's falling in love with hockey because guys on a 9th place team slide on their asses after they win.

I find a lot of hockey fans on the internet live in some weird headspace about hockey and there's a lot of walking contradictions.

I've seen a lot of people in a twist over the Hurricanes because they can't make up their mind if it's "Good for the Game"TM. They like when players show their personality and want players to have fun, but deep down I think there is a fear of straying too far away from The Good Canadian Boy and "being classy". (For the record, I think the Hurricanes celebrations are dumb and sophomoric, but they really aren't hurting anyone. I also think people talking about the celebrations are saving the Hurricanes and putting butts in seats are very, extremely hyperbolic).

Many understand hockey is in fourth place out of the Big 4 and scream "grow the game!", but many still want to keep hockey a niche sport that not everybody is allowed to be a fan of while others scream bloody murder about Bettman and the Sun Belt, telling us why it would be a good thing if every team south of Denver relocated to Saskatchewan.

Heaven forbid a pitcher gets put on the DL for a blister or "LeBitch" gets cramps because hockey fans are out in full force about how Gregory Campbell broke his leg and finished his shift, or how Rich Peverley DiEd on the bench but still wanted to play and other general "hockey tough" stories. That and how the comparisons to NBA and NFL players often straddle the casual racism line.

Hockey fans on the internet can be an insufferable bunch.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

while others scream bloody murder about Bettman and the Sun Belt, telling us why it would be a good thing if every team south of Denver relocated to Saskatchewan.

Speaking of being hyperbolic...

Duchene's been in like 7 rumors circling around the Blue Jackets for the last 5 years. It's really weird that they're actually going to get him. 

This team is putting a lot of chips into the table to probably get blown out by Tampa in the first round. Makes me nervous. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I've seen a lot of people in a twist over the Hurricanes because they can't make up their mind if it's "Good for the Game"TM. They like when players show their personality and want players to have fun, but deep down I think there is a fear of straying too far away from The Good Canadian Boy and "being classy". (For the record, I think the Hurricanes celebrations are dumb and sophomoric, but they really aren't hurting anyone. I also think people talking about the celebrations are saving the Hurricanes and putting butts in seats are very, extremely hyperbolic).

People like the Hurricanes online for the same reasons they like the Coyotes, Stars, and Predators: they don't have many fans and what fans they do have never stop posting*, plus their front offices, due to low revenue, are forced to be creative and embrace analytics a la the Oakland A's to compete with high-revenue counterparts. Those teams flatter the sensibilities of younger, internet-savvy fans on the ice (the Hurricanes out there Corsi-gaming), off (the Dallas dank meme jumbotron), and in between (genius GM John Chayka making paper trades that nominally outsmart someone but never make his own team good) in ways that, for instance, the Bruins don't, the Islanders really don't, and the Canadiens never could. That, to me, is the truer manifestation of hockey hipsterism in 2019 than sitting around forever mourning the Quebec Nordiques: wanting to get in on the ground floor of something new and cool and unmolested by grouchy old guys who like fighting, and thus looking smarter and more sophisticated than everyone else.

INTERPOLATION ON THE NATURE OF HOCKEY FANDOM AND SOCIAL MEDIA

It's been my suspicion for a long time that the southern small-market fanbases have signal-boosted by gravitating toward big boards like r/hockey, HFBoards, and Twitter, whereas northern and Canadian fans who have been at it for a long time tend to hole up among themselves on smaller, team-specific forums. Not quite case in point, but look at me, here and not there. Calgary and Chicago in particular were ghost towns on HFBoards because their fans were all at CalgaryPuck or an array of little Hawks boards here and there, and because most Habs fans don't speak English as their first language, were barely there at all. 

I like fun, we all like fun, but my patience for choreographed showboating from teams in historic runs of incompetence is very low. If the Oilers started following wins by clapping their hands slow and then fast and then all falling down at the same time, Don Cherry would be annoyed, I would be annoyed, and don't kid yourself, every dork on Reddit who beats off to PK Subban and the Stars' jumbotron would be annoyed.

Also the Caps traded Stanley Cup Champion Madison Bowey and a pick to Detroit for Nick Jensen. Don’t know who he is. Anyone got any info to help me put on this one?

oh also we got Carl Hagelin who used to be a ranger and penguin so not really sure how I feel about that 

spacer.png

Columbus f***ed over their future with this one. They're gonna be scary this year for sure, and if they make the playoffs they may be a dark horse, but there's a strong chance, Bob, Bread, and Dutchy all walk after the season's over. Their GM better have a plan to sign 'em all.

And let's remember CBJ isn't even a playoff lock. It's still an if  in regards to their playoff hopes.

Archived