2018-19 NHL Season

ninersdd

On 2/22/2019 at 3:41 PM, Zeus89725 said:

Columbus f***ed over their future with this one.

With regards to the Duchene trade, no they didn't :censored: over their future. Those prospects weren't blowing the doors off the AHL and one of those picks was conditional on if Duchene signs an extension and if he signs an extension I'm more than happy to give them the pick. 

They're gonna be scary this year for sure, and if they make the playoffs they may be a dark horse, but there's a strong chance, Bob, Bread, and Dutchy all walk after the season's over.

Their GM better have a plan to sign 'em all.

100% chance Panarin and Bobrovsky are gone after this season. They'll offer Panarin the farm to stay, but he wants to play in a bigger market or a warm climate or some place like LA that's both. They're probably just going to let Bob walk because he's been a big weird diva this season. My preferred outcome that Panarin would've signed a long-term extension five months ago has been dead for a while and I've come to terms with it. He gone. Now that this is our reality there's no real losing outcome provided he doesn't get injured. If they trade Panarin before the deadline it'll be for a massive haul for stretch run/playoff help and future help, so that's a good outcome. If they keep him and "rent" him back to themselves they'll have a lot of firepower for the playoffs, so that's a good outcome as well.

Duchene and now Dzingel will also be free agents after this season, but neither required giving up any serious future assets to rent so if they leave it's not a huge deal. Sounds like Dzingel is interested in staying long-term, though. 

All 4 guys walking at the end of the season would suck and look bad, but I like the moxie on Jarmo going for it. 

"THAT'S A LOT TO GIVE UP TO LOSE TO TAMPA IN THE CONFERENCE FINALS" some jabroni is going to utter. And to that I say - Hi, we've never won a playoff series. Getting to the conference finals would be fun and worth this price. 

And let's remember CBJ isn't even a playoff lock. It's still an if  in regards to their playoff hopes.

I'd argue they're putting this lineup together to ensure they make the playoffs. They were 1 point back with two games in hand on Friday afternoon which is basically in, and after this weekend they're top 3 in the Metro and have the highest ROW in the division. Dom from The Athletic has them at 86% which I'll take every year. The biggest if to watch is IF they can avoid Tampa in the first round. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bigger fear is that this increases the chances of the Penguins finishing in that second wild card spot. Even with this trade, I would take my chances with Columbus (or Montréal, or Carolina) in that first round as the 1/8 matchup. I want zero part in facing the Penguins in the first round. That's no reward for being the best team in the regular season. 

spacer.png

I like what Columbus seems to be doing. Want to get paid? You're gonna play your ass off for us for the next 2-3 months. For Panarin, they can probably get a decent return trading him after the season; teams will be desperate to get after him.

In an ideal world, the Jackets are able to find a good deal for Panarin tomorrow, and they come back and re-sign Dzingel (who definitely sounds interested in staying) and Duchene (who I think is likely to at least consider it). If they do that, they’ll remain competitive for the rest of the season, should make the playoffs and give themselves a chance once they get there, and they won’t be any worse off going forward.

Going and getting Dzingel made me feel a lot more comfortable with the Duchene deal, though (even if the Jackets didn’t necessarily give up top talent for him).

6fQjS3M.png

A lot of dummy bears are chastising Jarmo for this and I don't get it. He Turned Artem Anisimov and Marko Dano into Brandon Saad who he turned into Artemi Panarin. He's the reason Panarin's even here so he can walk in the first place. He's the reason Duchene and Dzingel are here so they can walk. You trade assets and stockpile picks and prospects and the end goal is to be in the position they're in, to have the ability to make those maneuvers when you're ready to build a team that can make playoff noise. The alternative, the people calling this a dumb move want them to trade assets and stockpile picks and prospects so that maybe in 2 or 3 years they might be just as good as they are now. Why don't you just take the team you built now and be good now? No time like the present, the known quantity is greater than the unknown, bird in the hand all that. I love Jarmo having the stones to go for it. Sports would be way more fun if more GM's weren't afraid to do this. 

Oh because Tampa's looking unstoppable? That means you're too afraid to try? Get out of my face with that scaredy cat nonsense. Yeah, Tampa is looking really good. They're not unbeatable. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Washington looked unbeatable through the East in 2010 and then they ran facefirst into Jaroslav Halak and that was it. Vasilevskiy and the rest of these Bolts don't have a Cup to their name, so why should I believe they can handle any adversity they see? They're not even in the weaker conference.

If the Blue Jackets fall short of the conference final and everyone leaves, then yeah, their window is probably closed for a while. But at least they're trying. They have to try. Someone has to! They can't just be a bubble team forever. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

17 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Oh because Tampa's looking unstoppable? That means you're too afraid to try? Get out of my face with that scaredy cat nonsense. Yeah, Tampa is looking really good. They're not unbeatable. 

Yeah, Toronto is 1-1 against them this year ;) 

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Hard to believe there's any appetite for this in one of the league's most underperforming markets and one ill-suited to outdoor play as well.

I would imagine that there is fairly good money in hosting your first outdoor game. There's no way the Canes host the WC, but a stadium series? Sure, why not. A team who hasn't been in one, or has only been in one, would probably be willing to do it, too. There's good money to be made in those jersey sales. 

It's all a cash-grab, anyways, and I fully intend to play into it, come New Year's 2020.

Edit: Just host someone reasonably close enough that their fans will pick up any slack on ticket sales.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

NOT IDEAL. 

A complete joke of goaltender interference goes the Penguins way because PENGUINS, Bob :censored:s his pants against them like he always does, and every turnover ends up in the back of the net. :censored:ing infuriating. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, Bagel said:

Here's what Gary Bettman had to say about Carolina's postgame celebrations:

c90k4m90p0j21.jpg

This is nothing. Only Roger Goodell would be a dumb enough idiot commissioner to s*** on something like the Hurricanes post game choreography (I refuse to use the words "storm surge"). Bettman's just reading what the PR playbook says he should say. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Also since I'm in a crabby mood I'm going to say this - those Jillian Fisher videos where she plays a fan from every team are just perfectly fine. Can we stop treating them like they're the funniest thing to ever hit hockey twitter? (sidebar: Are they the funniest thing to ever hit hockey twitter and if so why is hockey twitter so dreadfully unfunny?). They're all dying for script punchups and better editing before they get sent out. They could be 25 to 50% funnier and better than they are - Like the countless other videos on sports twitter that follow the same format. Scooter Magruder's NBA videos hit the mark far better and I still come away mostly thinking - "so you just went out and bought team wear for every team in the entire league? That's gotta be like $800. IDK if it's worth it." 

This has been Hockey Grouch. Coming to a podcast never.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

43 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Also since I'm in a crabby mood I'm going to say this - those Jillian Fisher videos where she plays a fan from every team are just perfectly fine. Can we stop treating them like they're the funniest thing to ever hit hockey twitter? (sidebar: Are they the funniest thing to ever hit hockey twitter and if so why is hockey twitter so dreadfully unfunny?). They're all dying for script punchups and better editing before they get sent out. They could be 25 to 50% funnier and better than they are - Like the countless other videos on sports twitter that follow the same format. Scooter Magruder's NBA videos hit the mark far better and I still come away mostly thinking - "so you just went out and bought team wear for every team in the entire league? That's gotta be like $800. IDK if it's worth it." 

This has been Hockey Grouch. Coming to a podcast never.  

Side note, anyone looking for legitimately hilarious sports humor needs to hit this guy’s channel up. I love just about everything he puts out that’s sports-related. 

spacer.png

Archived