2018-19 NHL Season

ninersdd

33 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

That’s about right. Tortorella has a shelf-life of 3-5 years for any team before the lockeroom just gets fed up with hardass schtick and tunes him out. Happened in Tampa, happened in New York. Never even got started in Vancouver, but that was fun for other reasons. 

Realistically? The Jackets are about where they should be on the Torts Progression Scale. 

True. 2 years ago he was the perfect coach for the roster and the place the team was in. He was trying to salvage his image and reputation, prove he could still coach after the debacle in Vancouver. He was the nobody believes in me coach. The team was young and promising, but were coming off a crappy season and to outsiders stood no chance of competing for a playoff spot. They were the nobody believes in us team. That's how you win 16 straight regular season games because you're out there with something to prove out-hustling, outworking teams every night at playoff level effort against opponents who are pacing themselves for a longer season by putting out 90, 95 percent efforts. Now, though, the talent is real, the players are all older, smarter, better, hardened. Torts still wants to be that demanding prickly ahole, but the players don't need or want that anymore. 

Also I think as a hockey tactician he's not as skilled as a lot of his opposing coaches and gets out line-matched and doesn't make obvious adjustments to what the opponent is doing. It's like watching a Dusty Baker managed baseball team*. I'd love to see what a different hockey mind would do with this roster.

*Actually, this whole experience feels weirdly reminiscent of the 2013 Reds. The team was good, but you knew the whole time it wasn't going to be good enough and that this was the last chance for probably a long time.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Torts still wants to be that demanding prickly ahole, but the players don't need or want that anymore. 

That’s the thing. He’s great as the guy who comes into a team that needs a kick in the ass. Then the hardass thing wears thin and before you know it everyone’s tired of him. 

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Also I think as a hockey tactician he's not as skilled as a lot of his opposing coaches and gets out line-matched and doesn't make obvious adjustments to what the opponent is doing. It's like watching a Dusty Baker managed baseball team*. I'd love to see what a different hockey mind would do with this roster.

That’s never been his strong suit. Better opponents have been coaching circles around him for years. 

1 hour ago, speedy said:

Lot of hockey left tonight but..

@McCarthy thoughts, comments, concerns? 

They scored 7 goals (which is really kind of a correction for all the posts and missed shots they've had recently), but all of their problems were on display - Lazy, non-urgent breakouts that result in turnovers at the blueline or neutral zone, mental lapses that result in a 5-1 lead becoming a 5-4 lead in about 6 minutes, which included lining up for a defensive zone faceoff with only 4 skaters when they weren't on a penalty kill, which is how Marchand scored. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's a pretty nice accomplishment tonight for Carey Price breaking the Habs goalie record for overall wins. I will say that, no sarcasm.

The only thing missing, though, is a Stanley Cup.

Roy, Dryden, and Plante all have at least one Cup. That's why I can't refer to Price as the GOAT 🐐 just yet. Price could forever silence all of his critics who say ''overpaid'', ''overrated'', ''overhyped'' with a Cup win. That will end it all. But first, he need that Cup...🤔

West Side Story on Ice was a fun one to watch last night and I expected that fourth goal to get past Dell, who looked to be having a pretty off night for his sake.

What I didn't expect however, was the beautiful c-c-c-c-combo breaker by Vlasic setting up Meier's delicious feed to Pavelski for the win. 

I don't want to be a negative Nancy in the end, mainly because that isn't my name, but I get nervous when the Sharks are on top of the conference because they don't have a great track record of not tripping over their own shoes when they do. A six or seven game series versus the Stars, Avs or god forbid the Hawks scares me more than it should.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

48 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've got my Alice in Chains playlist ready for the Sharks' inevitable playoff failure. A bit of hard liquor and AiC will help me through again (not really though - I'm not that invested).

A8nI.gif

Into the flood again, same old $hit it was back then.

I'm pretty much expecting a first round loss to Vegas. 

10 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Blue Jackets are done. 

Even if they pull out of this tailspin and somehow win 6 out of 8 games or whatever they're going to get destroyed by Tampa. 

If they don't make the playoffs, at least they'll have a chance at drafting Hughes or Kakko.

Carey Price had a real solid game (I admit it) against the Hurricanes, which was a very crucial game with playoff implications for the final spot in. The 3rd period goal was not Price's fault; it was a really unfortunate deflection that was pretty much unstoppable.

During the game, I read more comments on my social media feeds that Price is the best goalie ever, literally, and that he deserves to be the highest paid goalie in the history of hockey. Then he lets in a softie in OT, in typical fashion, and costs the Habs a crucial point. The other goalie wins, again as usual.

It's not just the Internet, the comments are repeated literally everywhere in the news/radio etc. I think it's dumb because it's putting needless heat on Price. At least I could admit both the bad and the good.

The Hurricanes are all drinking Michael's Secret Stuff. Confidence is a helluva drug, especially when you finally get goaltending that isn't complete ass. Would've been nice of them not to give Montreal a point, though. 

The Blue Jackets win last night was important. A loss would've ended the season. I still have zero confidence in them at this point and even if they pass Montreal their prize is a first round date with a team who's systematically humiliated them dating back two calendar years. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 3/12/2019 at 3:28 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Torts is basically Jose Mourinho The Hockey Coach. 

So you're saying he's a special one?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived