WideRight

Alliance of American Football - Team Names and Logos

Color v. White is a throwback to B&W televisions. It's long past due to be done away with.

This game wasn't an issue at all for me. Purple isn't that dark, and the gold is really light compared to, say, the Saints. And Birmingham's uniforms are so 'not busy' that the black and dull gray/silver works well.

The SD-ATL game was horrible because both uniforms had the same structure. Dark-lighter-light from head to pants. They also both are busy with the ATL side panels, the chevrons, etc. Secondary uniforms should have been made, or at least made sure there weren't conflicts. Memphis could've been a lighter blue. Salt Lake could've been a Carolina blue. Orlando with bright orange. Give San Diego the lighter gray jersey, and lighten up the purple just a tad with Atlanta.

You'd have had 8 teams that basically don't conflict with anyone else.

6 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Color v. White is a throwback to B&W televisions. It's long past due to be done away with.

This game wasn't an issue at all for me. Purple isn't that dark, and the gold is really light compared to, say, the Saints. And Birmingham's uniforms are so 'not busy' that the black and dull gray/silver works well.

The SD-ATL game was horrible because both uniforms had the same structure. Dark-lighter-light from head to pants. They also both are busy with the ATL side panels, the chevrons, etc. Secondary uniforms should have been made, or at least made sure there weren't conflicts. Memphis could've been a lighter blue. Salt Lake could've been a Carolina blue. Orlando with bright orange. Give San Diego the lighter gray jersey, and lighten up the purple just a tad with Atlanta.

You'd have had 8 teams that basically don't conflict with anyone else.

Quick reminder how a color blind person sees some color vs color games. jets-bills-color-rush-111215-twitter-ftr

26 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Quick reminder how a color blind person sees some color vs color games. jets-bills-color-rush-111215-twitter-ftr

An excellent reminder that color on color has to be handled carefully.  The NFL blundered into that one.

World football manages to avoid this largely because there’s usually a strong contrast between primary and secondary kits. Not only in terms of color, but also of value. The grayscale is crucial.  Clashes are judged on many criteria, not just the colors themselves. 

White road uniforms make it easier to avoid these types of clashes, but they aren’t the only solution.  

It is odd how the league thought red/navy blue/red would clash against all black and called the audible to put Memphis in white jerseys, yet nobody saw an issue with the Fleet/Legends game beforehand.

Just out of curiosity can somebody pull up a black and white image of that game? (that's beyond my technical skill level lol)

After three weeks I have come to the conclusion that lack of both home and away sets, or home and alt sets, just gives off a cheap vibe.  Two sets seem more serious and classier.  They don't all need a white set. ATL could have an inverted gold set with purple sleeves and numbers. SD could have dark and light gray sets, and SL could have the silver  paired  with a blue jersey.  Obvious alt for Orlando is orange. Others can be white. Birmingham would look great with a simple bold white & black.  Just classy. 

As one of the few people in attendance for the Legends game, I can say in person there wasn't any difficulty differentiating between the two teams in play. The soild black vs. purp & yellow contrasted quite well. 

2 hours ago, BlazerBlaze said:

As one of the few people in attendance for the Legends game, I can say in person there wasn't any difficulty differentiating between the two teams in play. The soild black vs. purp & yellow contrasted quite well. 

yeah it looked fine to me when I was watching it

D0hbVCgXQAEXJLf.jpg:large

D0hb0aUWoAIAVlr.jpg

Only two posted so far. But the guy does good work. Interesting style choices this week. Hopefully there's more.

Online posts announce a simple blue alt (clash) jersey for Orlando when they play silver clad Salt Lake. Seems like AAF alts will be "break glass in case of emergency"  

1 hour ago, crosfam said:

Online posts announce a simple blue alt (clash) jersey for Orlando when they play silver clad Salt Lake. Seems like AAF alts will be "break glass in case of emergency"  

Source?

Fleet vs Legends in week 2 wasn't an emergency? lol

Guess that means we'll see B'ham in an alt jersey whenever they play at Memphis.

16 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Source?

Guess that means we'll see B'ham in an alt jersey whenever they play at Memphis.

Is the team president's Twitter account good enough for you?

Honestly this just reinforces the idea Salt Lake are visitors in their own stadium. Light jersey, no markings on the field, etc. 

I'd rather have seen Salt Lake has an alternative light blue jersey instead. 

17 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Source?

I have a feeling memphis will wear white at home or we see blue vs dark gray. Iron would look good in B/W/B.  

13 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Is the team president's Twitter account good enough for you?

Correct if I'm blind, but that isn't even the correct number font. Two jerseys with differing fonts is not a good look

spacer.png

Basic (but sharp & clean) number font and design on the alt seems to match the "icy whites" worn by Memphis week 1.  Reinforces that the league is probably trying to market single jerseys as the identity for each team, and these are cheaper "break glass in case of emergency" jerseys.  They are not even on sale.  Maybe this will change in year two. 

23 minutes ago, crosfam said:

Basic (but sharp & clean) number font and design on the alt seems to match the "icy whites" worn by Memphis week 1.  Reinforces that the league is probably trying to market single jerseys as the identity for each team, and these are cheaper "break glass in case of emergency" jerseys.  They are not even on sale.  Maybe this will change in year two. 

The league's already said they wanted just one jersey to focus on for branding. These are simply for clashes. 

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Correct if I'm blind, but that isn't even the correct number font. Two jerseys with differing fonts is not a good look

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Looks like the Titans old font.

Probably just a quick mockup to get the word out.