Alliance of American Football - Team Names and Logos

WideRight

Relocate the Atlanta Legends, and you have the Louisville Legends, which works well.  The crown logo could be a reference either to King Louis of France or to Muhammad Ali as the boxing heavyweight champ.  The colors of purple and gold would not clash with UK or UL.  It is a win-win, then maybe in a few years you return a team to Atlanta with a better name/logo for that city. 

I am not a big fan of a new league moving a lot of its franchises, but Atlanta was always an odd choice because of the competition with MLB, NBA and MLS all during the spring.  Louisville has none of that.   

If I were to place an AAF team in an NFL city in the east it would be New Orleans.  No MLB or NHL or MLS to compete with, only the Pelicans, and LA is clearly football country.  Plus they could play in Tulane's new stadium, which is a much better size for the AAF and would give NOLA a chance to watch football outside instead of in the dome. 

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Relocate the Atlanta Legends, and you have the Louisville Legends, which works well.  The crown logo could be a reference either to King Louis of France or to Muhammad Ali as the boxing heavyweight champ.  The colors of purple and gold would not clash with UK or UL.  It is a win-win, then maybe in a few years you return a team to Atlanta with a better name/logo for that city. 

I am not a big fan of a new league moving a lot of its franchises, but Atlanta was always an odd choice because of the competition with MLB, NBA and MLS all during the spring.  Louisville has none of that.   

If I were to place an AAF team in an NFL city in the east it would be New Orleans.  No MLB or NHL or MLS to compete with, only the Pelicans, and LA is clearly football country.  Plus they could play in Tulane's new stadium, which is a much better size for the AAF and would give NOLA a chance to watch football outside instead of in the dome. 

Lexington Legends already exist. Not the same market but well known enough in KY that maybe you'd want to be a bit more unique. 

15 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

True, but I don't think that a pro team, outside of the Brewers, can get away with it nowadays. Kentucky and Tennessee use to play for the Beer Barrel in football... until a few students died in a drunk driving accident. Then they retired it. So yeah, I don't see them doing that. 

Louisville City FC (a minor league soccer club) manages to use a bourbon barrel in their logo.

h53zPnTt_400x400.jpg

17 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Any potential clashes this weekend? The only game on my radar this week has been Orlando vs Birmingham

Orlando normally wears white so no issues there. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

47 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Orlando normally wears white so no issues there. 

Oh no. When I said that I meant the Orlando/B'ham game was the only one I've been aware of in general. Not uniform related.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

57 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Oh no. When I said that I meant the Orlando/B'ham game was the only one I've been aware of in general. Not uniform related.

Salt Lake vs San Diego: white vs dark grey, shouldn't be an issue.

Memphis vs Atlanta: dark navy vs purple...we might see the return of Memphis' white clash jerseys.

San Antonio vs Arizona: red vs gold, no clash.

I dislike how San Diego's facemasks and helmet decals look metallic gold instead of yellow. Hope they fix that next season, or even before this season is over.

8 minutes ago, crosfam said:

You know it is about saving $ when they make the home team go white. That said, I like these. Also means some teams absolutely do not have alts. 

Memphis is the visiting team today.

Arizona doesn't need an alternate at all. San Antonio probably doesn't either.

Next season they'll probably introduce alternates for all the teams, and just force the teams that don't need alts to wear them once or twice.

I REALLY don't like the side numbers on Arizona, San Antonio, and San Diego's uniforms. They're all great. With enough modern flare to seem interesting but not so much that they become clown suits. I think it was @Gothamite who said that these uniforms really hit a happy middle ground between modern and traditional so many NFL teams seem to miss, and I agree with that.

Those numbers on only one side of the helmets though...it just doesn't work.

Archived