Alliance of American Football - Team Names and Logos

WideRight

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that we've seen the Fleet and Legends wear white versions of their primary jerseys, I'm disappointed by Orlando's plain blue jersey. Would be interested to see how an orange version of their primary would turn out.

I'm okay with Memphis' plain white jersey though *shrug*

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Atlanta in white jerseys! The team with the best uniforms continues to look sharp.

I really like that this league has dressed the home team in white on several occasions.

I think it is just because the white/alt jerseys are being finished in real time. They weren't ready when season started. 

14 minutes ago, crosfam said:

Atlanta in white jerseys! The team with the best uniforms continues to look sharp.

I really like that this league has dressed the home team in white on several occasions.

I think it is just because the white/alt jerseys are being finished in real time. They weren't ready when season started. 

But we know that Orlando's primary jersey is white. So they could have worn that against Atlanta's primary purple jersey.

Instead, the league had both teams wearing alternate jerseys, so that Atlanta would be in white at home.

San Diego also wore alternate white jerseys at home, as I believe Memphis did as well.

This demonstrates a desire on the part of the league to dress the home team in white — a policy to which I give my wholehearted approval. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

This demonstrates a desire on the part of the league to dress the home team in white — a policy to which I give my wholehearted approval.

Then wouldn't/shouldn't they have introduced a white jersey for each team from the start? Memphis' white jerseys in week 1 were a complete shock to everyone that had been following AAF to that point because Orlando had been the only team shown to have white jerseys.

I'm about 70% sure league officials went on record at one point stating that the teams would only have one set of jerseys this season.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

23 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Then wouldn't/shouldn't they have introduced a white jersey for each team from the start?

They certainly should have done that. But we can be thankful that they have recognised their error, and have moved to correct it.

Ah, OK. Thanks for the correction.

Still, San Diego and Atlanta alone are enough to support the theory of a "white at home" policy.

I don't think there's a white at home policy*. I think the league is dedicated to one primary look for each team, with some having alternates. So it's not a matter of home and road sets, but primary and alternate sets.

Atlanta and SD felt as if they wanted to wear those sets at home, whereas Orlando and Memphis seem content to only wear them when the opponent essentially forces them to, treating their alternates like clash kits.

I think the league's attitude has evolved regarding alternate uniforms. Memphis was the first necessity, because they were on the road against Birmingham. So they got a simple white jersey with coloured cuffs and numbers. Orlando was the next one. They were on the road against SL, so they needed a dark jersey to contrast with the Stallions' light grey. Like Memphis? Simple design. Coloured cuffs and numbers.

Things changed with San Diego though. Their white set used design elements from their primary set. The side panels specifically. The same thing was done with Atlanta's set. The side panel design was carried over. Does this mean that Orlando and Memphis' alts will adjust to include proper side panels to more accurately mimic their primary looks? If so I wouldn't expect it until next season. For now though? It looks like the idea of what the alternate looks in the AAF are supposed to be has changed. 

*except of course Orlando, whose primary look is white.

6 hours ago, Volt said:

Home/Away should've been done from the start. 

Eh...I'm not so sure. Any business, much less a sports league, has start-up costs that can be quite substantial. You have to ask yourself "ok what's not necessary?"

And just looking around here? I've seen plenty of people saying "we need more colour on colour matchups, home v road sets are relics of the past."

I don't agree with that sentiment, and I'm well aware that there's probably a user who prefers home and road looks for everyone who wants a colour on colour matchup every week. My point, though, is that the desire for home and road sets is not a universal thing at this point. There are more and more people who are willing to forgo that setup.

So. If that's the case and you're the AAF needing to manage startup costs? Going with one primary look for each team with occasional alternate/clash looks as situations demand them isn't the worst idea. Again, it's about not spending where you don't need to. I don't agree with the "we don't need home and road looks in sports anymore" idea, but it is a popular one that justifies the AAF taking a stingy role with that.

It's resulted in an amateur-unveiling process mid-season and again just reeks of this league's unpreparedness.  The failure to do this from the start was a major missed marketing opportunity, but that about sums up the entire league's brand rollout. 

I'm not sure what else about the league's brand rollout was subpar. Even people who have been quite hard on the AAF seem to admit that, at the very least, the identities are very well put together. Hell, I'm pretty easy on the AAF but I think I've been more critical than most when it comes to branding. I've stated my dislike for the "logo on one side, numbers on the other" look before, and I've called the league's overall branding homogeneous in a bad way (ie you can tell everyone's identity was done by the same group of people, there's no variety in design style).

That is, of course, aesthetic preferences in play. So I'm curious as to what about the league's branding rollout you found subpar.

It looks like the XFL was much smarter in taking 2 years to ramp up and get started, and that the AAF made the original XFL's mistake and rushed it.  Here's hoping the XFL's branding continues to be strong and that they make their team name/mascot/uniform unveilings extremely special.

The only thing the XFL has done brand-wise has been to unveil their new logo. Which is a tweaked version of the old XFL logo.

And I'm sorry. This is a Vince McMahon-helmed project outside of the world of pro wrestling. My expectations for it are not high.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't think there's a white at home policy.

A preference for white at home must exist in order to explain why both Atlanta and Orlando wore alternates when their primaries don't clash, as well as why host San Diego, and not visiting Birmingham, wore white alternates.

By the way, I do think that a team's two jerseys should have the same template. But Orlando should adjust its white jersey to match its blue jersey, not the other way around. The white jersey's side stripes are a very silly feature in a league which has mercifully few of them; and the weird shadow pattern on the numbers just makes them look blurry.

Also, notwithstanding my just-stated preference for the same template, I was actually disappointed to find that Atlanta's white jersey retained the only bad element of an otherwise superior uniform, namely, the "ATL" lettering on the side. I admit that I was hoping that the alternate jersey would follow the Orlando pattern of improving upon the primary jersey by eliminating flaws.

32 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A preference for white at home must exist in order to explain why both Atlanta and Orlando wore alternates when their primaries don't clash, as well as why host San Diego, and not visiting Birmingham, wore white alternates.

I think it could be a number of reasons. Again, I think the AAF is taking a "primary and alternate" rather than a "home and road" approach. And in Atlanta's case? I think they just wanted to show off their alternate look to the home crowd. I have no idea if AAF teams are selling their "clash" jerseys at on-site team shops, but if they are? That could be extra incentive for Atlanta to break out the whites. Even if these "clash" jerseys aren't being sold? It could be as simple as changing things up to create some local buzz.

As for SD and Birmingham? It could be that Birmingham wants to own the very stark "black and silver head to toe" look. The black and silver uniforms, the logoless helmet. It all reflects a very basic and stark brand. A no-frills brand. The AAF is centrally owned, so maybe the league's marketing department thought that Birmingham's identity would be weakened if they introduced a second jersey? If so they could have made the call for SD to be the one to switch.

I admit I'm talking out of my :censored:on most of these points, but I don't think "the AAF wants white at home" is the only explanation for these occurrences.

I definitely think the Iron image being all in black is a partial reason at minimum why San Diego wore white. I think the league wanted one uniform per team but in real life testing realized that the clash would be too great for TV. So an alternate was required. And with Orlando having a clash and assuming the Atlanta/San Diego game issues people complained about got them their own (probably for Birmingham) and wanted to show them off for one game. 

Honestly, with 8 teams the colors could've worked to avoid this. Orlando in orange jerseys. Memphis in a lighter blue. San Diego in a lighter gray with more neon yellow. Salt Lake should've been in a whole other color. Maybe green, red black with a different mascot/logo? 

48 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I definitely think the Iron image being all in black is a partial reason at minimum why San Diego wore white. I think the league wanted one uniform per team but in real life testing realized that the clash would be too great for TV. So an alternate was required. And with Orlando having a clash and assuming the Atlanta/San Diego game issues people complained about got them their own (probably for Birmingham) and wanted to show them off for one game. 

Honestly, with 8 teams the colors could've worked to avoid this. Orlando in orange jerseys. Memphis in a lighter blue. San Diego in a lighter gray with more neon yellow. Salt Lake should've been in a whole other color. Maybe green, red black with a different mascot/logo? 

It’s not like there’s less than 8 essential colors

Red team

Blue/Light Blue Team

Navy Team

Orange team

green team

Purple Team

White Team

Yellow team

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived