Alliance of American Football - Team Names and Logos

WideRight

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

For me, it’d be the San Diego Fleet.  The location is a no-brainer, and the name itself is stupid, but the uniforms and color scheme were amazing.  It deserves to love with a halfway decent Navy name, even something like “Destroyers” or “Cruisers”.

Cruisers would probably get the pick. I believe the NFL has a rule about no singular names. The Commanders helmets would be great if they pull the numbers and logo off the helmet and added an outline to the Alamo. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I would say the best identity was easily the Hotshots. Great name, great colors, great logo, great uniforms. If anything, I wish we had gotten a bit more orange in the design.

Arizona had the best colour combination.  A close second was Atlanta; and Atlanta had the best logo and the nicest looking uniform overall (apart from the unnecessary "ATL" lettering on the side).  For me the Legends were like the Rams of the AAF.

Salt Lake's set was beautiful also, in a traditional way.  Whereas, Arizona and Atlanta were innovative without being unsightly (which, as we have seen so many times, is not easy to do).

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I would say the best identity was easily the Hotshots. Great name, great colors, great logo, great uniforms. If anything, I wish we had gotten a bit more orange in the design.

I did enjoy the Hotshots identity. The second best for me was the Express. That helmet was just too cool. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Arizona had the best colour combination.  A close second was Atlanta; and Atlanta had the best logo and the nicest looking uniform overall (apart from the unnecessary "ATL" lettering on the side).  For me the Legends were like the Rams of the AAF.

Salt Lake's set was beautiful also, in a traditional way.  Whereas, Arizona and Atlanta were innovative without being unsightly (which, as we have seen so many times, is not easy to do).

I did like the Apollos look. The helmet was a little "different" but I'm a sucker for that purple/orange color combo going back to the days of the original Frankfurt Galaxy ;)

6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I feel that pretty much every AAF team had something good to take in their identity. The Arizona Hotshots showed us that Green, Orange, and Yellow all work together. The Memphis Express had a cool helmet decal that I wished the New York Jets would(‘ve?) adapt(ed?) to their helmets. The Atlanta Legends had a great, traditional, yet underused color scheme in Purple and (Old) Gold. The Birmingham Iron showed us that a plain helmet can be made modern (unpopular opinion, I know). San Antonio showed us another cool helmet pattern, as well as showing that you can put two shades of Red together. Even the Salt Lake Stallions showed us that Light Blue and Silver can work together.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

23 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I feel that pretty much every AAF team had something good to take in their identity. The Arizona Hotshots showed us that Green, Orange, and Yellow all work together. The Memphis Express had a cool helmet decal that I wished the New York Jets would(‘ve?) adapt(ed?) to their helmets. The Atlanta Legends had a great, traditional, yet underused color scheme in Purple and (Old) Gold. The Birmingham Iron showed us that a plain helmet can be made modern (unpopular opinion, I know). San Antonio showed us another cool helmet pattern, as well as showing that you can put two shades of Red together. Even the Salt Lake Stallions showed us that Light Blue and Silver can work together.

I can agree with all of that, except the bit about Birmingham.  I that thought they were the only team that looked bad.  It wasn't even the plainness or the blank helmet that I didn't like; it was the monochrome.  They should have had silver pants.  Also, that flared stripe on the helmet was silly — it was silly in its own right; and, worse, it clashed with the simple aesthetic.

But, overall, the league was excellent aesthetically.  And the fact that it gave us several instances of home teams wearing white made it even better.

49 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

I did like the Apollos look. The helmet was a little "different" but I'm a sucker for that purple/orange color combo going back to the days of the original Frankfurt Galaxy ;)

Only the Apollos used navy and orange ... 😄

Frankly, all the teams had real aesthetic potential.

Not everybody loved what Birmingham was doing, but I thought they were a tweak or two from looking very good. Atlanta and Memphis looked great (the Express helmet was fantastic), and the rest were more than passable. What a shame.

On 4/1/2019 at 8:26 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Am I a hypocrite for hating the look of the Rams and NY Giants navy blue and royal blue "classic" uniforms, but liking the Commanders' use of maroon and bright red?

It's an apples and oranges thing, the Commanders meant for both red and maroon to be their colors.  I don't think anyone considered navy an actual Giants or pre-2000 Rams color, by contrast.  The Blues would be a better comparison.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Best looks of the AAF

1. Birmingham Iron

I know it’s a hot take, but honestly the use of all black and a black helmet was cool and out of the box while still looking classic, I think a block number font could’ve improved their looked but it still looked really good for a team called the Iron.

2. Arizona Hotshots

While I think the don’t have the best uniforms, although it’s very close between them and Birmingham, they did have the best logos. I think their use of yellow green and orange was really interesting and worked really well. I think it they had added some more striping, Atleast on the uniform, bc it looked really bland at times, would put them at number 1.

3. Orlando Apollos

Orlando, again, had a very good look. And I really like the shoulder stripes, and striping they used on the uniform. Some tweaks I would have is to remove helmet numbers, move the helmet logo a tad bit forward, and remove the striping running down the sides of the uniforms.

4. San Diego Fleet

Not much to say, just remove a couple unnecessary elements and they would’ve been much better, but I really like the use of two greys, something we’ve never seen before. It worked for them.

5. Memphis Express

The uniform was a bit plain. Get rid of the underarm stripes and move them to the shoulders/sleeves, I think it would make it much better. Also remove the gradient on the helmet, I never was a big fan of it.

6. Salt Lake Stallions

I like the colors, the helmet wasn’t the best idea however, would loved to of seen more baby blue instead of silver.

7. San Antonio Commanders

The helmet was too busy, they could’ve used the sword as a striping pattern, which was a big miss imo. I would’ve minimized the use of grey and replaced it with maroon. Their two reds really went well together and they didn’t use it to their advantage. Also get rid of helmet numbers and underarm stripes, and the weird shoulder stripes, or Atleast color the sleeve caps maroon as well.

8. Atlanta Legends

Personally I was never a big fan of the branding, definitely the weakest out of the league. The ATL down the sides of the jersey were dumb. I know some people thought they were really good uniforms and stuff. But the only nice thing with those uniforms are the colors

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pondering whether to hunt for and buy any AAF gear. On the plus side, it has great camp value and since it's Starter, is probably decently made. On the other hand, the AAF screwed a lot of people out of a lot of money, royally jobbed its players, and was basically the Theranos/Fyre Festival of football leagues. I'm not sure I want to be a billboard for something like that.

16 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I've been pondering whether to hunt for and buy any AAF gear. On the plus side, it has great camp value and since it's Starter, is probably decently made. On the other hand, the AAF screwed a lot of people out of a lot of money, royally jobbed its players, and was basically the Theranos/Fyre Festival of football leagues. I'm not sure I want to be a billboard for something like that.

If you enjoy the league I wouldn't worry about the idjits that ran it into the ground. MLS tried pushing Columbus Crew out of town but I'll still by Crew gear because that's my team.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I say buy it and wear it. If you used moral upstangingness as your criterion, you could wear nothing but St. Pauli gear.

The team I support most, NYCFC, has an owner who is the deputy prime minister of the UAE, where homosexuality is a capital crime. When I was a Yankee fan, I knew full well that Steinbrenner was a Nixon supporter and a major Republican contributor. None of this prevented/prevents me from wearing these teams' gear, as a team takes on a meaning and an identity that are separate from the identity and the persona of its owner. (What prevents me from wearing Nets gear is its total lack of aesthetic merit.) 

On the question of the AAF in particular, I think you should resist the urge to demonise the league too much.  There is certainly no valid comparison to the Fyre Festival, which was nothing but an intent to scam from the beginning, or even to Theranos, which started as a serious business but then quickly degenerated into a scam perpetrated by its founder.  By contrast, the AAF's founders didn't scam anyone; they had every intention of running the league and paying the players and coaches on an ongoing basis. It was only when one of the early backers suddenly disappeared that the AAF became vulnerable to takeover by a predatory investor who had no wish to operate the league according to its founders' plan.

If only Reggie Fowler, the early investor who flaked out, had backed off earlier; in that case the league could probably have survived by delaying its debut season until next year (and thereby avoiding having to cede control to the vulture Tom Dundon). I disagree with the vitriol directed by torch-bearing mob towards Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian, as Ebersol's grand statements about the league were true when he made them. Also, the egregious events after the league folded, such as leaving players without medical coverage and not paying so many creditors, must be blamed entirely on Dundon and on no one else.

So, even if you want to bring ethics into your choice of team gear, AAF gear can still be worn with a clear conscience on account of the good intentions involved in the league's founding.

Archived