SportsLogos.Net News

2019 MLB Changes

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I'd feign outrage over the Nationals using a Senators logo instead of an Expos one, but I really don't care enough about these ridiculous novelties to bother. 

Give 'em a break. They're wearing Expos throwbacks for the first time ever on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

Other than some odd legal fiction like the Ravens/Browns and possibly Sonics/Thunder, there really aren't that many teams that deny their existing in other cities or identities.

I think the Orioles have only acknowledged the St. Louis Browns one time, and that was during a throwback game in St. Louis. 

The Cardinals have a statue for George Sisler of the Browns outside Busch Stadium. I wish they’d acknowledge the Browns 1944 pennant somewhere in the ballpark too. Not sure how the Orioles would feel about that, but I’m not aware of anything about the Browns on display in Baltimore. 

Probably would need the Orioles blessing, but I’ve always wanted to see the Cardinals throwback as the Browns for an interleague game in St. Louis. Lots of possible great-looking options.  

as cool as these original Expos road ones look, I like the 80s racing stripe ones worn by the Raines, Dawson, Gary Carter Expos better. 

The Hornets-Bobcats-Pelicans triangle is probably the worst example of that in sports.

I hope the eventual Montreal team is called the Montreal Expos though, and I wish the Houston Texans were the Houston Oilers. 

I know it'd never happen, but I wouldn't mind the Brewers dressing as the Browns against the Cardinals. The Browns did, after all, originate in the 19th century as the original Milwaukee Brewers.

47 minutes ago, Ark said:

I hope the eventual Montreal team is called the Montreal Expos though, and I wish the Houston Texans were the Houston Oilers. 

I'd rather have a new identity for the former and I'm happy with the identity for the latter. The Oilers' identity was garbage that I'm glad the NFL forced into retirement (which is what they should have done with the Browns, but I digress). 

Since we're trying to brand the team for a post-Bill 101/post-separatist referendum Quebec, I'd rather they play up their French Canadian nature. Voyageurs, one of the rejected names from the original branding, could be excellent. Just make sure to be "culturally aware" enough (e.g., include the tree for the Native American community in the imagery somewhere) and you should be good.

42 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I know it'd never happen, but I wouldn't mind the Brewers dressing as the Browns against the Cardinals. The Browns did, after all, originate in the 19th century as the original Milwaukee Brewers.

Why must you give me ideas? ;) 

I still stand by my rule of "if there's no replacement team, don't do a throwback." I guess with the Rays' little announcement/poor attempt at stadium blackmail or lease breakage, the Nationals now meet this requirement (sort of).

Regarding the Browns, I’m pretty hardline in that the Orioles should be the only ones who should throwback to them, should a Browns throwback be worn. Any other team would be too confusing.

I get where you could link the Brewers, but where the two Brewers franchises are completely separate, I just don’t think that’s a strong enough link at all to warrant a throwback. I see it in the same vein as if, hypothetically, let’s say the Pelicans move to Vancouver or wherever in 30 years and change thier name, and the Hornets wear a Pelicans throwback 50 years after the fact because nearly a century before, they were the original Hornets. It just wouldn’t make any sense. It’d make much more sense for them to wear the Brewers throwbacks from that franchise than the latter Browns ones.

The Cardinals would be rough too, considering they aren’t successors to the Browns and actually coexisted for 50 or so years (AND played against each other in a World Series once). I know they have a Sisler statue at Busch, but I see that more as honoring St. Louis’ baseball history in general and I think that’s acknowledgement enough, no throwback is necessary.

It’s far more easier to make sense of the Orioles wearing Browns throwbacks because it’s simple to say “that’s who we used to be” and point to them on a timeline. Even still, I think it’s best to do it if they’re either playing against the Cardinals in Interleague play, OR against another team wearing a throwback from the Browns period and the Orioles want to play along in a historically accurate fashion.

34 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Regarding the Browns, I’m pretty hardline in that the Orioles should be the only ones who should throwback to them, should a Browns throwback be worn. Any other team would be too confusing.

I get where you could link the Brewers, but where the two Brewers franchises are completely separate, I just don’t think that’s a strong enough link at all to warrant a throwback. I see it in the same vein as if, hypothetically, let’s say the Pelicans move to Vancouver or wherever in 30 years and change thier name, and the Hornets wear a Pelicans throwback 50 years after the fact because nearly a century before, they were the original Hornets. It just wouldn’t make any sense. It’d make much more sense for them to wear the Brewers throwbacks from that franchise than the latter Browns ones.

The Cardinals would be rough too, considering they aren’t successors to the Browns and actually coexisted for 50 or so years (AND played against each other in a World Series once). I know they have a Sisler statue at Busch, but I see that more as honoring St. Louis’ baseball history in general and I think that’s acknowledgement enough, no throwback is necessary.

It’s far more easier to make sense of the Orioles wearing Browns throwbacks because it’s simple to say “that’s who we used to be” and point to them on a timeline. Even still, I think it’s best to do it if they’re either playing against the Cardinals in Interleague play, OR against another team wearing a throwback from the Browns period and the Orioles want to play along in a historically accurate fashion.

My only thought for the Cardinals to throwback as the Browns would be to acknowledge St. Louis baseball history. Much like you see teams throw back to the Negro League teams that once played within their city. Outside the one time the Orioles threw back to the Browns (2003 according to Uni-Watch), there has been no interest in representing the first 52 years of the franchise's history. I think the Orioles should give their blessing, but I see no problem with the Cardinals, or at a stretch the Brewers paying homage to the St. Louis Browns. 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Did they ever say how he died?

Have to wait for the autopsy and toxicology reports and that could take as long as October. I believe the family asked that nothing be released until everything was finished. 

Those 4th of July hats the Cubs are wearing remind me of the away caps they used to wear like this one.

MLB-2002-1101-LG.jpg

Those were really good and they should bring them back. 

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Much like you see teams throw back to the Negro League teams that once played within their city.

B-b-b-but they're not the same franchise! Why do people tolerate this attack on truth and the rule of law? What kind of values are we teaching our children? Is our great Republic which has stood for 243 years to be torn asunder and burned to the ground, its foundations shattered, the bright spirit of enlightened men gathered in a Philadelphia hall extinguished, the blood of thousands spilled for naught, under the nefarious onslaught of knaves, cowards, and thieves who twist the vary threads of the fabric of our civilization into knots with their duplicitous and insidious corruption of the values we hold so closely, so dearly, so passionately to our hearts? Is that really what you people want? DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME

3 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

B-b-b-but they're not the same franchise! Why do people tolerate this attack on truth and the rule of law? What kind of values are we teaching our children? Is our great Republic which has stood for 243 years to be torn asunder and burned to the ground, its foundations shattered, the bright spirit of enlightened men gathered in a Philadelphia hall extinguished, the blood of thousands spilled for naught, under the nefarious onslaught of knaves, cowards, and thieves who twist the vary threads of the fabric of our civilization into knots with their duplicitous and insidious corruption of the values we hold so closely, so dearly, so passionately to our hearts? Is that really what you people want? DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME

DO YOU THINK THIS IS CLEVER OR FUNNY? 

Because it’s not, it’s neither of those. Drink responsibly fellow board members.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's odd.  I can't recall any other time an athlete died and we didnt' know why within a day or so.

Well they really don’t know how, it appeared accidental, so possibly overdose but they can’t be sure unless there is evidence which there doesn’t appear to be and have to wait until toxicology reports come back which do take months.

8 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I think the Orioles have only acknowledged the St. Louis Browns one time, and that was during a throwback game in St. Louis. 

In fairness, that's in part because the Browns were an absolutely terrible team for pretty much their entire history, and so, really, there's nothing for the Orioles to bother celebrating about their history in St. Louis. 

2 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

In fairness, that's in part because the Browns were an absolutely terrible team for pretty much their entire history, and so, really, there's nothing for the Orioles to bother celebrating about their history in St. Louis. 

So ironic that they were the more popular team in St. Louis until the 1930s, and doubly ironic that they almost forced the Cardinals out of town in the 1950s.